Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Do Christians and Muslims worship the same God?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Zymologist.

I guess the main issue here boils down to what it means to know or worship a god. Clearly there are differences in the Christian and Islamic conceptions of God, but there are also several similarities. Both sides believe in a supreme, omnipotent deity who created the universe and had prophets such as Abraham and Moses and Jesus, after all. Both sides believe that people ought to humbly submit to this deity's commands, and characterize this deity as merciful and compassionate. So is there a line between having incomplete/partially differing knowledge of a deity and not knowing the deity at all? I believe there is, so the question I have concerns where that line is drawn.

For instance, it's commonly objected that the deity worshipped by Muslims is substantially different to the point of having a different identity altogether because Allah isn't believed to be triune. But the Jews before Jesus' time didn't seem to believe that YHWH is triune, and yet their worship certainly seemed to be accepted. Likewise, Muslims may not believe that what Christians mean by God the Father has a Word and Holy Spirit, but theoretically, wouldn't they, like Christians and the ancient Jews, also believe in the Father? If your household consisted of you, your parents, your brother and your sister, but I mistakenly believe that your household consisted merely of you and your parents, would this mistaken belief mean that when I refer to "the Zymologist household," I'm thinking of something completely different than what you think when you're referring to it? There are certainly differences, but don't we ultimately share a significant similarity at the core of our conceptions? I would say that my hypothetical belief is lacking information, but I wouldn't say I'm actually thinking of a completely different household--after all, we both acknowledge that you, Zymologist, are a central member.

So, although the Quranic presentation of God may contain differences from the Biblical presentation of God, if Muslims genuinely believe that at the heart of all reality there is an all-powerful deity who created the universe and is merciful and compassionate, how does the core of their belief about God substantially differ from the core of Christian belief about God? To elucidate this a bit more, think of "God" not as a proper name for an individual, but rather as "the divine." If a Muslim believes that there exists something divine, and interprets this as a being whom he truly believes is the transcendent creator and sustainer of the universe, who knows all, can do all, is merciful, compassionate, "ever forgiving," "ever providing," and is "the source of peace," it seems to me that at the heart of it all, he is interpreting the divine in many of the same ways in which Christians interpret the divine. It would just be that the Muslim's belief is incomplete, and that the God he earnestly worships is even greater than he had imagined.

With that in mind, there are a few posts I saw earlier that I also wanted to address:

Originally posted by Jedidiah
    Taking a clue from KG I say we do not worship the same god. Muslims worship satan, look at their fruits.
    This comes off as awfully narrow-minded and bigoted. I can just as easily make this claim about Christians by pointing to the myriad of terrible things that they've done in the name of God and saying "Look at their fruits." That sort of logic would be invalid because, among other reasons, there are many Christians who do live honorably and bear good fruits--just like there are many Muslims who live honorably and bear good fruits as well.

That lends itself to my earlier question of just what it means to worship God. One could say that the Christian god is actually false because many Christians do terrible things in his name, or one could say the Christian god is true but many Christians are still capable of doing terrible things regardless, or one could say that the Christian god is true but some people who claim to be Christians are actually worshipping something different than the Christians who do good things. But I've yet to see anyone argue that Calvinists and Arminians are actually worshipping an entirely different god altogether.

Originally posted by Cow Poke
    Jesus was pretty durn exclusive on this ... "I am the way, the truth and the life -- NO MAN (emphasis mine ) comes to the Father but by me...."
    True, this verse is clear that no one can come to Father except through Jesus, but what about the possibility that one can know Jesus without consciously realizing it? As Shakespeare wrote, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." If, per 1 John 4:8, God is love and whoever does not know love does not know God, could it be that the inverse is also true--that whoever does know love does know God, in a mystical way at the most fundamental, rudimentary level of understanding? And if, as Holding argues here, Jesus is God's wisdom personified, could it also be that to devote one's self to seeking and living in accordance to wisdom is to seek and follow Jesus at the most fundamental, rudimentary level?

I mean, let's face it--convincing someone that on the other side of the world almost two thousand years ago, a man who was actually God incarnate died and then physically came back to life and ascended "into heaven," whatever that means, and is still living today is not a simple task that can be accomplished quickly. Perhaps God has mercy on those who don't receive sufficient evidence to believe but were genuinely seeking truth and goodness. Perhaps to genuinely seek truth and goodness means that if one actually did receive sufficient evidence to believe in the gospel of Jesus, one would indeed accept it--after all, if it was actually true, why would any person genuinely seeking truth and goodness refuse to follow the very source of truth and goodness?
    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
      This comes off as awfully narrow-minded and bigoted.
      Its not narrow-minded and bigoted. The Christian scriptures teach that Satan is a deceiver of nations, the god of this world, and that false prophets are empowered by him. Whatever one might believe about Muslims and whether or not they worship the same God as Christians, Jedidiah was not espousing any sort of heterodox view on the matter.

I mean, let's face it--convincing someone that on the other side of the world almost two thousand years ago, a man who was actually God incarnate died and then physically came back to life and ascended "into heaven," whatever that means, and is still living today is not a simple task that can be accomplished quickly.
      I'm not sure if you've looked at the guidelines for posting on this part of the forum. It says,

Source: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/announcement.php?f=45

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first.

© Copyright Original Source

Christianity 201 is a place where Christians can come together and discuss issues among themselves without having to go into defensive mode against those who do not share our worldview. Its up to the moderators to decide whether or not you're breaking any rules, but if your first post is anything to go on, I'm not sure anyone's going to be interested in staying around too long in this thread to reply.
      Last edited by Adrift; 12-30-2014, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post

I'm not sure if you've looked at the g not narrow-minded and bigoted. The Christian scriptures teach that Satan is a deceiver of nations, the god of this world, and that false prophets are empowered by him. Whatever one might believe about Muslims and whether or not they worship the same God as Christians, Jedidiah was not espousing any sort of heterodox view on the matter. uidelines for posting on this part of the forum. It says,

Source: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/announcement.php?f=45

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first.

© Copyright Original Source

Christianity 201 is a place where Christians can come together and discuss issues among themselves without having to go into defensive mode against those who do not share our worldview. Its up to the moderators to decide whether or not you're breaking any rules, but if your first post is anything to go on, I'm not sure anyone's going to be interested in staying around too long in this thread to reply.
        SP has permission to post in this thread from the Original Poster and the mods will usually respect that. As long as he behaves, he's welcome - like all the rest of us.

He's also wrong but that's another story...
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          SP has permission to post in this thread from the Original Poster and the mods will usually respect that. As long as he behaves, he's welcome - like all the rest of us.

He's also wrong but that's another story...
          Seems like he's coming real close to "undermin[g] the orthodox Christian faith of others" to me. Jedidiah is not a bigot. His view was well within an orthodox framework. And if square_peg really is confused about what it means for Christ to be ascended to heaven, then he's certainly not on the same page as the rest of us. You're right though, up to the mods.

Comment

Seems like he's coming real close to "undermin[g] the orthodox Christian faith of others" to me. Jedidiah is not a bigot. His view was well within an orthodox framework. And if square_peg really is confused about what it means for Christ to be ascended to heaven, then he's certainly not on the same page as the rest of us. You're right though, up to the mods.
            We're watching it all.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Its not narrow-minded and bigoted. The Christian scriptures teach that Satan is a deceiver of nations, the god of this world, and that false prophets are empowered by him. Whatever one might believe about Muslims and whether or not they worship the same God as Christians, Jedidiah was not espousing any sort of heterodox view on the matter.
              I didn't accuse him of espousing a heterodox view. It's just that his argument seems to be "Some Muslims have done evil things in the name of their god. Therefore, the Muslim god is actually Satan." But unless he wants to apply this line of reasoning elsewhere and logically conclude "Some Christians have done evil things in the name of their god. Therefore, the Christian god is actually Satan," his argument is narrow-minded. It ignores the myriad of Muslims who don't do evil things in the name of Allah.

And if square_peg really is confused about what it means for Christ to be ascended to heaven, then he's certainly not on the same page as the rest of us.
              I'm not aware that there's a definitive doctrine about what ascending to heaven specifically entailed.
              Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

True, this verse is clear that no one can come to Father except through Jesus, but what about the possibility that one can know Jesus without consciously realizing it?
                If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Salvation comes through this one Jesus that God raised from the Dead. How can you "believe in your Heart God raised Him from the dead" without consciously realizing it?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I mean, let's face it--convincing someone that on the other side of the world almost two thousand years ago, a man who was actually God incarnate died and then physically came back to life and ascended "into heaven," whatever that means, and is still living today is not a simple task that can be accomplished quickly.
                  I believe this is where the Holy Spirit comes in.

Perhaps God has mercy on those who don't receive sufficient evidence to believe but were genuinely seeking truth and goodness. Perhaps to genuinely seek truth and goodness means that if one actually did receive sufficient evidence to believe in the gospel of Jesus, one would indeed accept it--after all, if it was actually true, why would any person genuinely seeking truth and goodness refuse to follow the very source of truth and goodness?
                  I'm glad these decisions are made far above my paygrade, but I have long ago stopped thinking in terms of "saved" and "lost" alone -- recognizing that there are some who are "on the journey".
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

By their fruits you will know them.

Nominal Christians who do evil things leave me questioning their salvation. Claiming to be a Christian is not the same as being a Christian. We can all fall short, but we have to repent and get back up and continue.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Salvation comes through this one Jesus that God raised from the Dead. How can you "believe in your Heart God raised Him from the dead" without consciously realizing it?
                      That passage is addressed to people who have heard the gospel and been given evidence to believe it. My question refers to people who didn't hear or weren't given sufficient evidence.

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                      By their fruits you will know them.

Nominal Christians who do evil things leave me questioning their salvation. Claiming to be a Christian is not the same as being a Christian. We can all fall short, but we have to repent and get back up and continue.
                      Right, so why do you seemingly not extend this courtesy to the many Muslims who bear good fruit?

Comment

That passage is addressed to people who have heard the gospel and been given evidence to believe it. My question refers to people who didn't hear or weren't given sufficient evidence.
                        Rom 1:20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

Comment

Everyone has been given sufficient evidence.

Romans 1:18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

And Romans 2 talks about what happens to those who have not heard specifically of the Law or Jesus.

Romans 2:12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. 14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) 16 This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

God doesn't owe anyone salvation yet he gives everyone a chance to be saved. That is why it is called "mercy"

They can try to save themselves by not sinning (and we know how well that goes) or they can rely on Jesus to save them and put their faith in him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Rom 1:20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
                            That's not the gospel message, though. Most people can't derive the divinity, crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus from observing nature.

Comment

That's not the gospel message, though. Most people can't derive the divinity, crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus from observing nature.
                              There are 4 ways in which God's existence AND the gospel are made clear to every person. They are: knowledge within one, perhaps the conscience, or more likely the Holy Spirit's working; the evidence of creation; the person of Jesus Christ; and the written word of God in which the person of Christ and the record of creation and the character of God is there in detail.

Even before Christ, people were saved through faith in the revelation about God which was given to them. By God.

The information is apparent everywhere one looks. Islam has no excuse.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Square Peg is correct that the gospel is not revealed in nature.

Romans 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Comment