Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Did Rosa Parks sin by refusing to go to the back of the bus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paprika
    replied
    Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
    Matthew 17:24
    [ The Temple Tax ] When they came to Capernaum, the collectors of the two-drachma tax went up to Peter and said, “Does your teacher not pay the tax?”
    Was a synagogue the Temple? Or is this another metaphor?

Leave a comment:

• Littlejoe
    replied
    Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    I had no idea that synagogue authorities collected taxes. Or is this another metaphor?
    Matthew 17:24
    [ The Temple Tax ] When they came to Capernaum, the collectors of the two-drachma tax went up to Peter and said, “Does your teacher not pay the tax?”

NKJV Says: "..Does your Teacher not pay the Temple Tax?"
    Last edited by Littlejoe; 12-29-2014, 08:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Paprika
    replied
    Originally posted by Soyeong View Post
    Romans 13 is talking about obeying the synagogue authorities, not the civil authorities. Paul is still talking about how we should behave within a community and doesn't change subjects.
    I had no idea that synagogue authorities collected taxes. Or is this another metaphor?

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    Romans 13 is talking about obeying the synagogue authorities, not the civil authorities. Paul is still talking about how we should behave within a community and doesn't change subjects.
    Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: Bill the Cat

Christianity 201 is for orthodox Christians only

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Bill the Cat; 12-30-2014, 08:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pentecost
    replied
    Does anyone know what MLK Jr. said about it? I am much too you to have personal experience with the matter, but I am given to understand Luther was a Reverend who supported civil disobedience? Was he ever confronted by detractors with Scripture? How did he support his position with Scripture? I assume that the easiest way (if perhaps not the most effective) to determine if it is a sin or not is to look at someone with both the motive and opportunity to comment on the subject at hand and then determine if his arguments are flawed or not. Equally you could look toward a segregationist preacher, but I assume that there are more records of MLK than others.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Originally posted by seanD View Post
    I said if you believe his words were inerrant. I personally don't believe Paul, who was human, was perfect, as illustrated by the absurdity of the command (though I believe it served a specific purpose at the time he wrote it, which is why it was so absurdly impractical).
    It wasn't absurd in the context in which it was made. As I said in another thread though, I don't think it should be taken as an endorsement of every single government that ever existed, and I don't think Paul intended it that way.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    I'm not asking whether Rosa Parks is burning in hell for her defiance though. After all we all sin and are forgiven. I take it you agree it's a sin from your posts, but you're not comfortable just saying it outright. I was hoping to get some perspectives from people who don't think it was a sin.
    I said if you believe his words were inerrant. I personally don't believe Paul, who was human, was perfect, as illustrated by the absurdity of the command (though I believe it served a specific purpose at the time he wrote it, which is why it was so absurdly impractical).

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    If you argue that Paul's words were inerrant then it's indeed sin. But it's sin we obviously have no power over as history clearly shows, much like love thy enemies. This is why Christ died and why we need mercy and grace.
    I'm not asking whether Rosa Parks is burning in hell for her defiance though. After all we all sin and are forgiven. I take it you agree it's a sin from your posts, but you're not comfortable just saying it outright. I was hoping to get some perspectives from people who don't think it was a sin.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    The "ship has sailed" on a lot of sins. We still happily murder, for example. That doesn't really answer the question of whether murder is a sin or not.
    If you argue that Paul's words were inerrant then it's indeed sin. But it's a command we obviously don't follow (perhaps because we're powerless against it) as history clearly shows, much like love thy enemies. This is why Christ died and why we need mercy and grace.
    Last edited by seanD; 12-28-2014, 11:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Bearing the sword is a metaphor for saying that the synagogue had the authority to administer discipline of their members.
    There is nothing in "bearing the sword" that suggests it's the synagogue's authority. Also, again, in Rome? The synagogue is not "rulers" or "governing authorities" anyway. Calling the synagogue "God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer" when they were persecuting Christians for following Christ is completely nonsensical. The common interpretation that it was referring to the Roman Empire makes the most sense as Rome more closely matches the duties outlined therein and they weren't actively persecuting Christians at the time. It's also a letter directed at people who liv e in Rome.

This was the case when Paul was sent out to persecute those who were members of the synagogue who were followers of the Way.
    Legally, in Rome?

Paul also used his Roman citizenship to get out of being whipped, but he submitted to the Jewish authority:

2 Corinthians 11:24 Five times I received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one.
    It says he was whipped but it doesn't say he submitted or that it was legal or just. It doesn't even say it was synagogue authorities who whipped him. It's not like the Jews mobs abstained from breaking Roman law all that much.
    Last edited by Darth Executor; 12-28-2014, 11:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Soyeong
    replied
    Bearing the sword is a metaphor for saying that the synagogue had the authority to administer discipline of their members. This was the case when Paul was sent out to persecute those who were members of the synagogue who were followers of the Way. Paul also used his Roman citizenship to get out of being whipped, but he submitted to the Jewish authority:

2 Corinthians 11:24 Five times I received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one.
    Last edited by Soyeong; 12-28-2014, 11:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Romans 13 is talking about obeying the synagogue authorities, not the civil authorities.
    Which synagogue authorities in Rome had the authority to bear the sword against wrongdoers? They didn't even have that authority in their own country.

Leave a comment:

• Soyeong
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    The instances of noncompliance to Romans 13 by Christians throughout history has been overkill. That's why it's pretty absurd to even use it now in any kind of argument because that ship has long sailed (which might even be good indication how absurd Paul was when he stated it).
    The "ship has sailed" on a lot of sins. We still happily murder, for example. That doesn't really answer the question of whether murder is a sin or not.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    The instances of noncompliance to Romans 13 by Christians throughout history has been overkill. That's why it's pretty absurd to even use it now in any kind of argument because that ship has long sailed (which might even be good indication how absurd Paul was when he stated it).

Leave a comment: