// Required code

Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Philippians 4:8

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Philippians 4:8

    Hello,

    I am starting to study and meditate on Philippians 4:8.

    Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
    First, if you ever read a good study on the passage, I would appreciate the referral.

    If you want to share your thoughts on the passage, please do.

    Thanks.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

    "Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

  • #2
    Well, I assume the "finally" must refer to the immediate preceding verses.

    Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (*Philippians‬ *4‬:*4-7‬ ESV)
    Paul is using verse 8 to explain how to accomplish verses 4-7, otherwise 4-9 are simply commands to be kept. I do not regularly reference lexicons, but I would assume that "whatever" and "anything" are broad statements that are meant to include things otherwise not enumerated in the letter.
    Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

    Comment


    • #3
      I think the "finally" is because he's wrapping up his letter. Keep in mind that the chapter and verse references were added later.

      He had addressed quite a number of topics in his letter.

      I think you can see verses 2 through 7 of chapter 4 as one topic, then another topic (or "paragraph") begins at vs 8 and goes through 9.

      He's bringing his letter to a close, and adding some final thoughts.

      vs 10 - 20 is the wrap-up, then vs 21 - 23 are his closing.
      "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

      Comment


      • #4
        8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

        9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

        Either he is telling them to meditate on the teachings that they heard from him (v. 9), or as Pentecost said he is telling them that thinking about God's gifts to them will help them to be thankful and non-anxious. Or both.

        Comment


        • #5
          The use of ἀρετὴ - otherwise not found in any of Paul's existing letters - strongly confirms that he is not referring only to "Christian" teachings. Additionally, the admonition wraps up the important theme of mind and thinking in Philippians.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
            I am starting to study and meditate on Philippians 4:8.
            I think we have problems when we pick out one verse from a "letter", and focus on that one verse rather than the overall message.
            "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I think we have problems when we pick out one verse from a "letter", and focus on that one verse rather than the overall message.
              So what would you say the "overall message", of say, Philippians is?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                So what would you say the "overall message", of say, Philippians is?
                Much more than just verse 8 of chapter 4.
                "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Much more than just verse 8 of chapter 4.
                  Of course but I don't think Monk was attempting to isolate one verse at the expense of the letter.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Just thought I'd add - meditating on one particular verse is a practice I employ as well. I read an entire book or letter seeking to understand context, recipients, purpose, etc. and then I go back and meditate upon a single verse that impacted me based upon my personal circumstances/felt was important for me spiritually. I think this practice is healthy and advisable really.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                      Of course but I don't think Monk was attempting to isolate one verse at the expense of the letter.
                      Agreed. I'm just wondering if TM is making this more difficult than it is. This isn't a great theological conundrum -- Paul is telling us, essentially, keep our minds out of the gutter and our thoughts pure. But he said it way better than I could.

                      The Church at Philippi was a Church Paul had founded, and he was interested in making sure they kept unity. I've seen Chapter 4 characterized as Paul's treatment of the Peace of the Christian life, with vs 1-4 dealing with peace with others, 5-9 dealing with peace with self, and vs 10-21 dealing with peace with circumstances.
                      "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                        Just thought I'd add - meditating on one particular verse is a practice I employ as well. I read an entire book or letter seeking to understand context, recipients, purpose, etc.
                        "context"

                        and then I go back and meditate upon a single verse that impacted me based upon my personal circumstances/felt was important for me spiritually. I think this practice is healthy and advisable really.
                        As you described it, sure..... and a "paragraph" of Scripture often has one verse (or sentence or statement) as the main introduction of a topic, or a verse (or sentence or statement) as a summary of that topic.
                        "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Agreed. I'm just wondering if TM is making this more difficult than it is. This isn't a great theological conundrum -- Paul is telling us, essentially, keep our minds out of the gutter and our thoughts pure. But he said it way better than I could.

                          The Church at Philippi was a Church Paul had founded, and he was interested in making sure they kept unity. I've seen Chapter 4 characterized as Paul's treatment of the Peace of the Christian life, with vs 1-4 dealing with peace with others, 5-9 dealing with peace with self, and vs 10-21 dealing with peace with circumstances.
                          I hear ya, sometimes its best to keep things simple so we don't go off track and I can appreciate that wisdom. Yet sometimes if a verse is really speaking to us, it can be advisable to dig deeper to garner even more spiritual nourishment for our souls - and I think this is what Monk is attempting to do.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                            I hear ya, sometimes its best to keep things simple so we don't go off track and I can appreciate that wisdom. Yet sometimes if a verse is really speaking to us, it can be advisable to dig deeper to garner even more spiritual nourishment for our souls - and I think this is what Monk is attempting to do.
                            Thanks, Scrawly. You got very close to my intent.

                            For me the verse is a starting point on what is the current issue in my life. I am very conscious these days about the spiritual "violence" that I am afflicted with as a consequence of living in this sin-filled world. There are now some things I consciously avoid. But I can't avoid everything. This verse seemed like a good starting place for learning how to more properly deal.

                            I did think about an alternative starting point: Psalm 55. I may yet work through how they work together.
                            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

                            "Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                              Thanks, Scrawly. You got very close to my intent.

                              For me the verse is a starting point on what is the current issue in my life. I am very conscious these days about the spiritual "violence" that I am afflicted with as a consequence of living in this sin-filled world. There are now some things I consciously avoid. But I can't avoid everything. This verse seemed like a good starting place for learning how to more properly deal.

                              I did think about an alternative starting point: Psalm 55. I may yet work through how they work together.
                              Sounds like a noble adventure! Check this out, I think you'll benefit from it:

                              https://bible.org/seriespage/lesson-...philippians-48

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Faber, 10-13-2020, 03:13 PM
                              4 responses
                              25 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Faber
                              by Faber
                               
                              Started by Christian3, 10-09-2020, 08:37 AM
                              33 responses
                              190 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Andius
                              by Andius
                               
                              Started by mossrose, 10-07-2020, 08:10 PM
                              6 responses
                              36 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post mossrose  
                              Started by Thoughtful Monk, 09-26-2020, 07:50 PM
                              0 responses
                              6 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Thoughtful Monk  
                              Started by Thoughtful Monk, 09-07-2020, 01:08 PM
                              30 responses
                              378 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Thoughtful Monk  
                              Working...
                              X