Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A Question for Xtians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question for Xtians

I'm wondering why a Christian would self identify as an Xtian rather than a Christian.

I don't really need a lesson in the etymology (OR entomology) of the term, but it almost seems to imply "I'm better than a Christian" or "special knowledge" or some level of "I'm not like the rest of you".

My experience in the past with Twebbers who identify as Xtians has been that they "know things" the rest of us do not know, or in some way are superior to the rest of us. They also have seemed to be a bit more combative than "Christians".

I'm sure there's a much better explanation, and my experience is simply myopic and/or based on anecdotes.

So, why would somebody identify themselves as "Xtian" rather than "Christian"?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Or they wanted to type fewer letters?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
      Or they wanted to type fewer letters?
      That's pretty much it.

I've seen other threads way back in the day where people were suspicious about the "X" alternative for "Christ", but all it is is a shortening for the word "Christ". That's it. There isn't any weird secret cabal of pseudo-Christians who only go by "Xtian" (that I know of), and it isn't somehow a dis or a sacrilegious version of "Christ". X is simply the Greek letter Chi in Jesus' title. I have no problem calling myself a Xtian or a Christian. But I tend towards the longer version because I hate acronyms ever since getting out of the military.
      Last edited by Adrift; 12-01-2014, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        That's pretty much it.

I've seen other threads way back in the day (maybe it was by CP) where people were suspicious about the "X" alternative for "Christ",
        I don't think that was me --- I'm fully aware of the "X-Mas" and other X uses.

but all it is is a shortening for the word "Christ". That's it. There isn't any weird secret cabal of psudeo-Christians who only go by "Xtian" (that I know of), and it isn't somehow a dis or a sacrilegious version of "Christ". X is simply the Greek letter Chi in Christ's title. I have no problem calling myself a Xtian or a Christian. But I tend towards the longer version because I hate acronyms ever since getting out of the military.
        I think there's more to it that that, but I'm open to being convinced otherwise. I'm particularly interested in why somebody would choose that as their faith designation on Tweb. That's not a matter of "typing fewer letters", it's pretty much going out of your way to choose something other than "Christian".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, I edited that out of my post, because I wasn't sure. Maybe it was Sparko or someone else.
          Don't ya love it when somebody quotes you before you're done posting?

I'm almost convinced that there's not much more to it than that. I've known a few Christians in some of the underground music scenes that went primarily with that designation, but it had absolutely nothing to do with anything other than they liked how it looked when it was spelled differently. If I could easily type the Chi-Rho on my keyboard, I'd probably use that more than "Christian".

I've just never run into many (any?) Christians on Tweb who identified themselves as Xtian and weren't a little "out there".

Comment

This is interesting....

http://www.xtians.org/

I tried to log in, but there's no provision to create a username / password.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Don't ya love it when somebody quotes you before you're done posting?

I've just never run into many (any?) Christians on Tweb who identified themselves as Xtian and weren't a little "out there".
              CP, everyone one Tweb is a little out there.

Comment

CP, everyone one Tweb is a little out there.
                Yes, but some of us ... um... me not included.... uh.....

yeah.

Comment

Yes, but some of us ... um... me not included.... uh.....

yeah.
                  Just curious, who do you have in mind that's going by this designation? Or would you rather not say?

Comment

Just curious, who do you have in mind that's going by this designation? Or would you rather not say?
                    Paprika, most recently, but I remember others on Tweb who claimed that faith designation who were, how do we say... a bit arrogant and condescending, and rarely if ever posted anything "positive".

Comment

Paprika, most recently, but I remember others on Tweb who claimed that faith designation who were, how do we say... a bit arrogant and condescending, and rarely if ever posted anything "positive".
                      Maybe they're all the same person.

Comment

Maybe they're all the same person.
                        Hmmmmm..... that's always a possibility!

Comment

This is interesting....

http://www.xtians.org/

I tried to log in, but there's no provision to create a username / password.
                          It is a Taiwanese‎ web sit. Its name is registered through GoDaddy.com. Use http://www.geektools.com/whois.php

This gives the contact information.
                          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment