Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Can a genuine Christian be demonized?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a genuine Christian be demonized?

The question excludes Ephesians 4:27; Acts 5:3. Which is generally agreed upon as possible.

The principle reason I personally do not believe a genuine Christian can be demonized is based on 1 John 4:1, 4.
    Yes, also a saved person can become lost again.
    25.00%
    No. But a saved person can become lost again.
    12.50%
    Yes. But a saved person cannot once saved become lost.
    12.50%
    No. Also a saved person once saved cannot become lost.
    25.00%
    Do not know. But a saved person can lose salvation.l
    12.50%
    Do not know. But a saved preson once saved cannot lose salvaton.
    12.50%

The poll is expired.

. . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

When you say "demonized" I assume you mean "possessed"?

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      The question excludes Ephesians 4:27; Acts 5:3. Which is generally agreed upon as possible.

The principle reason I personally do not believe a genuine Christian can be demonized is based on 1 John 4:1, 4.
      Do you mean demonized as in possessed or as in oppressed? Also, I'm not sure I agree that 1 John 4 has spiritual possession or oppression in mind exactly. Seems to me more about false prophets (who, I grant, may or may not be possessed/oppressed).

Also, you didn't leave any room in your poll for maybe/I don't know.

Comment

I concur with people, do you mean that people become possessed even though they're Christians, or do you mean that they lose their faith?

As a Catholic I only believe that Christians can be properly called saved if and when they die in a state of grace, and go to Purgatory or Heaven depending on their state of penance at the time of death.

Comment

What do Eph. 4:27 and 1 John 4:1 have to do with demon possession? I am assuming that's what you meant.

I would also need an "other" option: a being saved person can turn away from Christ (and thus would no longer be being saved). I do not believe that a being saved person can be demon possessed.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Yeah!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              When you say "demonized" I assume you mean "possessed"?
              The Handbook of Spiritual Warfare by Dr Ed Murphy, teaches that the Greek word translated "demon possessed" is a mistranslation, and should be translated demonized. Dr Ed Murphy teaches that Christians can be demonized. I believe he is wrong. The book is published by Thomas Nelson Publishers. Thought the book is also (with different pages numbers, no page index or verse index) available elsewhere as a PDF as a free download.

The Greek word Harp for an example with the same Greek ending is translated "play the harp" as "demon possessed."

Dr Murphy teaches Christians can be demonized but not demon possessed. Based on his arguement from the Greek, then, no body is ever demon possessed. So I do have a problem with his view. Also other issues too.
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

What a hodgepodge of poll options!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't think possessed is necessary when they can be influenced and deceived just as effectively.

Comment

My wife when she was in College was "trained" in a spiritual warfare that included issues such as this. She had sessions with several people she knew to be Christian that would qualify as "Demonized". They were not possessed like what most would normally consider as demon possessed (weird voices, levitating, that kind of stuff that is considered to be normal proof of possession). But some of those sessions were pretty scary according to her...
                    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

I said "I don't know," but I lean toward "Yes."

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                        Do you mean demonized as in possessed or as in oppressed? Also, I'm not sure I agree that 1 John 4 has spiritual possession or oppression in mind exactly. Seems to me more about false prophets (who, I grant, may or may not be possessed/oppressed).

Also, you didn't leave any room in your poll for maybe/I don't know.
                        The Dr Murphy holds that a Christian cannot be possessed. But can be demonized (oppressed). So either understanding can be met. Dr Murphy holds all the passages translated "possession" are mistranslated, and should be translated "demonized." My no means a Christian cannot be demonized/possessed.

Comment

The Dr Murphy holds that a Christian cannot be possessed. But can be demonized (oppressed). So either understanding can be met. Dr Murphy holds all the passages translated "possession" are mistranslated, and should be translated "demonized." My no means a Christian cannot be demonized/possessed.
                          I would probably agree with Dr. Murphy then. I believe that Christians can be oppressed (demonized), but not possessed. Well, I hold that view currently, but I'm willing to reconsider it. I don't know if I agree with Dr. Murphy that all of the passages translated "possession" are mistranslated though. I would need to know his qualifications for making that claim, and then I'd need to see if there's general agreement among scholars on the claim.

So, anyways, if I had to lay my money down on one of your poll options, it would probably be "Yes. Also a saved person once saved cannot become lost." But I'm still struggling to figure out the connection between demonic possession/oppression and the durability of one's salvation.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            What do Eph. 4:27 and 1 John 4:1 have to do with demon possession? I am assuming that's what you meant.

I would also need an "other" option: a being saved person can turn away from Christ (and thus would no longer be being saved). I do not believe that a being saved person can be demon possessed.
                            I used the term "demonized" instead of "possession" or "oppression." Ephesians 4:27 does not in my view have anything to do with either. As for 1 John 4:1, refers to demons, that all. 1 John 4:4 in my view means a Christian cannot be "demonized."

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                              I concur with people, do you mean that people become possessed even though they're Christians, or do you mean that they lose their faith?

As a Catholic I only believe that Christians can be properly called saved if and when they die in a state of grace, and go to Purgatory or Heaven depending on their state of penance at the time of death.
                              There are Christians who believe a Christian can be "demon possessed." I do not. As a Christian I believe salvation is a present possession (1 John 5:12; Ephesians 2:5, 8). The author of the book, Handbook of Spiritual Warfare, Dr Ed Murphy believes Christians can be demonized, his words. And the Bible texts translated "demon possession" are mistranslated. His view they should be translated "demonized."
                              Last edited by 37818; 11-06-2014, 02:24 PM.

Comment