Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesus Was Crucified Because Disciples Were Armed, Bible Analysis Suggests

Source: Newsweek

Dale Martinaccording to the Gospel of Johnpublished this month in the Journal for the Study of the New Testament.

Harold AttridgeHal TaussigBart EhrmanDead Sea ScrollsPaula FredriksenSource

© Copyright Original Source

Well this is certainly an interesting way of looking at things. I do disagree with Paula Fredriksen on one thing. The word machaira can be used for both "knife" and "sword". They probably were more akin to daggers.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

A 'machaira' can be a whole lot of different kinds of swords and knives, not necesarily a dagger, although that is certainly an option.

Brian Pounds had a good response:

http://historicaljesusresearch.blogs...ssay-part.html

http://historicaljesusresearch.blogs...snt-essay.html

I especially liked Dale Allison's response: http://historicaljesusresearch.blogs...flects-on.html
    אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
      A 'machaira' can be a whole lot of different kinds of swords and knives, not necesarily a dagger, although that is certainly an option.

Brian Pounds had a good response:

http://historicaljesusresearch.blogs...ssay-part.html

http://historicaljesusresearch.blogs...snt-essay.html

I especially liked Dale Allison's response: http://historicaljesusresearch.blogs...flects-on.html
      Oh. Thank you for those links robrecht.
      "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

I agree that he wasn't a pacifist. But the Bible makes it clear that the Romans didn't even want to kill him, and never charged him with anything.

Comment

Isn't one standard pacifist argument that Jesus's commandment to carry swords (or whatever we want to call the weapons) was solely to provoke his arrest and execution?
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            Isn't one standard pacifist argument that Jesus's commandment to carry swords (or whatever we want to call the weapons) was solely to provoke his arrest and execution?
            I am not sure. I do not know much about the pacifist argument for his arrest. Though Christ's commandment to carry swords wouldn't have provoked the Romans because it was legal for citizens to be armed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
              I am not sure. I do not know much about the pacifist argument for his arrest. Though Christ's commandment to carry swords wouldn't have provoked the Romans because it was legal for citizens to be armed.
              One aspect of the confrontation on Jesus' arrest that seems to be largely ignored, is the fact, that when Peter drew his sword and cut off the high priest's (Annas') servant, Malchus', ear, Jesus healed the temple guard!!!! And told Peter to put away his sword.... (John 18:10-11).

Of interest to me is why there are so many protestant ministers coming out of American seminaries who in pursuing their "qualifications" ignore what is plainly written in scripture and pursue absolute bull excrement????

Comment

Originally posted by apostoli View Post
                Of interest to me is why there are so many protestant ministers coming out of American seminaries who in pursuing their "qualifications" ignore what is plainly written in scripture and pursue absolute bull excrement????
                What?
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  What?
                  I think what he means is that why make up theories about why Jesus was killed when it's told to us in the gospels? Nothing about his disciples being armed was brought up as a charge, therefore we have to disregard historical reliability of scripture and make up theories outside of scripture.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                    I think what he means is that why make up theories about why Jesus was killed when it's told to us in the gospels? Nothing about his disciples being armed was brought up as a charge, therefore we have to disregard historical reliability of scripture and make up theories outside of scripture.
                    It's a good question. I think it stems from the fact that Dale Martin is so heavily invested in his "Apocalyptic Jesus" hypothesis that he tries to hold onto any strand he can think of. Even if it is something as bizarre as trying to push that Christ and his disciples were trying to start an armed revolution against the Romans.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                      An interesting observation: At Mt 56:52 we learn that on commanding Peter to put away his sword Jesus decreed "all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword".

A more interesting observation: The same fellow that drew his sword (Peter) to supposedly defend Jesus, was prone to deny Jesus when his own existence was threatened. Possibly why Jesus at one time chastised Peter saying "Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men." (Mt 16:23).

Comment

An interesting observation: At Mt 56:52 we learn ...
                        Very interesting indeed! My Bible is missing some 30 chapters of the gospel of Matthew!

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                          Very interesting indeed! My Bible is missing some 30 chapters of the gospel of Matthew!
                          Oops on my part. A grand typo on my part!!!!. But if you or KingsGambit had any Biblical sensibility (intelligence), you would have corrected me and pointed me to the correct chapter for the verse I directly quoted as opposed to your desire/s to grandstand!!! The text is Mt 26:52, but I'd point out that in your interrogation you missed the point of Jesus' comment...and my comment.
                          Last edited by apostoli; 10-29-2014, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Oops on my part. A grand typo on my part!!!!. But if you had any Biblical sensibility (intelligence), you would have corrected me to the correct chapter for the verse I directly quoted as opposed to your desire to grandstand!!! The text is Mt 26:52, but I'd point out that in your interrogation you missed the point of Jesus' comment...and my comment.
                            What interrogation of mine are you referring to? I don't think I have interrogated anyone here. But, who knows, maybe I do not have intelligence to understand this? You do realize I was only joking around, right?
                            Last edited by robrecht; 10-29-2014, 10:57 AM.

Comment

"Religious Studies" =/= "seminary"

I'd lay odds that most people who pursue a Religious Studies degree are not Christians, let alone aspiring ministers.
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment