Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

European Calendar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European Calendar

In the United States, many Christians say that they observe Sunday, the first day of the week, at least in part, to commemorate the resurrection which they believe took place on the first day of the week. However, many areas of Europe use a calendar that has Sunday as the seventh day of the week. Does anyone know, in those areas that use that calendar, on what day they hold their weekly worship services? If they hold it on the seventh day, do they also do anything special on the first day in celebration of the resurrection?

Since it's been awhile, someone new looking in may have some information.

Comment

Originally posted by rstrats View Post
      In the United States, many Christians say that they observe Sunday, the first day of the week, at least in part, to commemorate the resurrection which they believe took place on the first day of the week. However, many areas of Europe use a calendar that has Sunday as the seventh day of the week. Does anyone know, in those areas that use that calendar, on what day they hold their weekly worship services? If they hold it on the seventh day, do they also do anything special on the first day in celebration of the resurrection?
      As a Brit brat, I learned the days as "Sunday, Monday, ...", ie Sunday as the first day; there's been no change that I know of in these last six decades. We have a few Seventh Day Adventists here, who celebrate Sabbath on Saturday, otherwise so far as I know everyone else Christian worships on Sunday.

Many online calendars will let you choose the starting day of the week; but so far as I can see, this is just a way for the user to have the weekend days displayed together at the left or right -- I have grouped mine to the right -- instead of the default of splitting the weekend onto different lines in different weeks.

What I suspect your query is based on is the international standard for dates and times, ISO 8601, which says:
      Week date representations are in the format as shown in the box to the right. [YYYY] indicates the ISO week-numbering year which is slightly different from the traditional Gregorian calendar year (see below). [Www] is the week number prefixed by the letter W, from W01 through W53. [D] is the weekday number, from 1 through 7, beginning with Monday and ending with Sunday. This form is popular in the manufacturing industries.

The last probably explains why the ISO has Sunday as weekday number 7: international standards are written for the facilitation of trade and the convenience of commerce; I expect software is slightly more simple, hence more reliable and robust, if the main working week is grouped together as days 1-5 or 1-6 (or 1-7 for places open all week), with the relatively non-commercial day 7 as an outlier.

Hope this helps.

Comment

David Hayward,
        re: "As a Brit brat, I learned the days as 'Sunday, Monday, ...', ie Sunday as the first day..."

So then the phrase "weekend" wouldn't include Sunday as the last day of the week?

Comment

I've seen calendars here in the U.S. that start with Monday and end with Sunday with the explanation that is when the work week starts (at least for most people) and with Saturday and Sunday at the end you have a true weekend.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

In Germany they go to church on Sundays. As well in Italy, and Austria. Those are the countries I am personally familiar with. I think all Christians go to church on Sundays, no matter what day of the week you want to call it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              In Germany they go to church on Sundays. As well in Italy, and Austria. Those are the countries I am personally familiar with. I think all Christians go to church on Sundays, no matter what day of the week you want to call it.
              About the only exception are the Seven Day Adventists who IMO are more than a little bit cultish.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                About the only exception are the Seven Day Adventists who IMO are more than a little bit cultish.
                yup

Comment

Does the resurrection on the supposed first day of the week have any influence on the day of the week for when a majority of Christians feel they should gather to worship?

Comment

Did no one mention that it is not relevant to the day of worship to point to today's calendars?
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Jedidiah,
                      re: "Did no one mention that it is not relevant to the day of worship to point to today's calendars?"

So what might be relevant to the supreme being's prefered day for one's observance?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        There are Seventh Day Baptists in southern New Jersey. Just like ordinary Baptists, except that they worship on Saturday.
                        When I Survey....

Comment

Interestingly, there are Adventists who are not SDA's. I know one such pastor through a ministry setting. As far as I can tell he is orthodox, and his church does meet on Sundays.

I think the SDA church will become discussed more in the coming months because of Ben Carson.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by rstrats View Post
                            Jedidiah,
                            re: "Did no one mention that it is not relevant to the day of worship to point to today's calendars?"

So what might be relevant to the supreme being's prefered day for one's observance?
                            The early Christians worshiped on the the first day of the week. For them that was the day after the Sabbath, what we now see as Saturday. Thus, whatever any calendar says, the day after the Sabbath is the first day of the week. This said, the early Christians opted to worship on the first day. I am not aware of any scripture that mandates first day worship. As a Baptist you should be aware of all this.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              Interestingly, there are Adventists who are not SDA's. I know one such pastor through a ministry setting. As far as I can tell he is orthodox, and his church does meet on Sundays.
                              Are you referring to the Advent Christian denomination? I have friends in that, and it is orthodox. As I understand it, they came from the same doomsday cult that spawned SDA, but went the way of grace.

Comment