Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What's the point of praying for others?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    You need to chill.
    Unless you want to actually discuss the matter at hand, you need to get out of this thread (and that goes for everyone). Each sub-forum here is intended for a different kind of conversation, which is also part of the reason you see limits on who (atheist/theist/Christian) can participate in certain forums. Some, like Xianity 201, general theistics, and Civics, are designed as catch-alls for stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere. If you have a better idea for the title of the sub-forum for old-fashioned arguments about predestination, feel free to suggest one, but do it somewhere else, like the padded room or a PM to a moderator.

If anyone needs to chill here, it's me, not Sparko.
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
      Are you praying for empathy? Or if you don't specifically ask for empathy, what are you asking for, and do you still hope for empathy as the primary outcome?
      I pray for the person's well being. something along the lines of:

Dear God,
      You know _____ better than I do, so you know what they need most right now. I pray that you will help them to find their way, and help them achieve what they need to achieve. I also pray that they will find you along the way and find peace and comfort in their lives.

--

Just a general prayer for them. Wishing them well.

I find after a short while, I genuinely want them to do well, and begin caring about them. Thus the empathy.

My ultimate goal is to not be angry with the person, and to see them the way God sees them, and to love them the way God loves them.

Lev 19:18 “‘Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord.
      Matt 5:43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.
      Last edited by Sparko; 10-20-2014, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I pray for the person's well being. something along the lines of:

Dear God,
        You know _____ better than I do, so you know what they need most right now. I pray that you will help them to find their way, and help them achieve what they need to achieve. I also pray that they will find you along the way and find peace and comfort in their lives.

--

Just a general prayer for them. Wishing them well.

I find after a short while, I genuinely want them to do well, and begin caring about them. Thus the empathy.
        You're praying for their happiness, but are you actually looking for that, or an increase in your empathy? If increased empathy is a side effect of prayer, that's one thing, but if it's "the point," then it seems to me we should change the way we go about praying.

Comment

You're praying for their happiness, but are you actually looking for that, or an increase in your empathy? If increased empathy is a side effect of prayer, that's one thing, but if it's "the point," then it seems to me we should change the way we go about praying.

I edited my response.

My ultimate goal is to not be angry with the person, and to see them the way God sees them, and to love them the way God loves them.

Lev 19:18 “‘Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord.
          Matt 5:43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.

And I that helps me genuinely want the best for them, and care for them.

I think prayer is a way to align our will with God's will. To help us be more like Jesus.

Comment

What, specifically, do you pray for regarding the people you debate?
            Nothing specific. At the Great Entrance, the priest prays this prayer:
            ' May the Lord God remember in his kingdom his All-Holiness, the Ecumenical Patriarch (N), Archbishop of Constantinople, our Most Reverend Metropolitan (N) (Our God-loving Bishop (N)) , the venerable priesthood, the diaconate in Christ, the monks and nuns and clerics of the Church, the honorable government of our country and its armed forces, the blessed and ever-remembered founders and benefactors of our churches, monasteries, the sick at home, in hospitals and institutions, our brothers and sisters who suffer persecution for the Holy Faith throughout the world, our civil authorities and the Armed Forces of this nation and may the Lord God remember in His Kingdom the souls of His departed servants, the ever-memorable founders of this church (N) and the departed servant(s) (N) and all you Orthodox Christians, and those we now call to mind, may the Lord God remember you in His Kingdom, always now and ever and forever."

The bit in italics (which my priest adds to the traditional form) is where I call them to mind.

I also sometimes pray that I would see Christ in them; we are all an image of Christ, no matter how deformed.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I edited my response.

And I that helps me genuinely want the best for them, and care for them.

I think prayer is a way to align our will with God's will. To help us be more like Jesus.
              So why don't you just ask for that directly?

Comment

So why don't you just ask for that directly?
                I do. But part of it is praying FOR the person, not just for me. If I merely pray "God help me to love them like you do" but don't actually pray or care for them, then how selfish is that? Do you think God will answer such a prayer? He wants us to practice what he teaches and to learn to care for others. We do that by praying for them, and doing things to help them.

Comment

I do. But part of it is praying FOR the person, not just for me. If I merely pray "God help me to love them like you do" but don't actually pray or care for them, then how selfish is that? Do you think God will answer such a prayer? He wants us to practice what he teaches and to learn to care for others. We do that by praying for them, and doing things to help them.
                  Actively caring for them I can see, but why is it important to pray for them in order to show we love them?

Comment

Actively caring for them I can see, but why is it important to pray for them in order to show we love them?
                    Serious question, Spart --- is this a genuine honest thread, or is this part of your "trolling is fun" fascination? It's why I haven't participated yet.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I never said you had to pray for them in order to show you love them, did I? Go back and read what I actually said.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Serious question, Spart --- is this a genuine honest thread, or is this part of your "trolling is fun" fascination? It's why I haven't participated yet.
                        If I was just trolling, I wouldn't have gone beyond the SB discussion. I certainly wouldn't have taken the time to try to figure out what forum to put the discussion in.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          yeah I am wondering the same thing.

Comment

If I was just trolling, I wouldn't have gone beyond the SB discussion. I certainly wouldn't have taken the time to try to figure out what forum to put the discussion in.
                            Then why do you keep asking dumbass questions no matter what anyone says, like a kid asking "but, why?" no matter what anyone tells him. And showing that you haven't actually read a thing I wrote?

Comment

I never said you had to pray for them in order to show you love them, did I? Go back and read what I actually said.
                              If I merely pray "God help me to love them like you do" but don't actually pray or care for them, then how selfish is that?
                              You said that not to care or pray for them when praying for greater empathy is selfish. How exactly am I mis-reading you?

Comment

I saw how it came from SB, Spart.... and please forgive me for not believing, but I think you have a tendency to argue just for the sake of arguing. This is an INCREDIBLY important subject to me, and I have just had the feeling you're "playing". When I saw your "trolling is fun" comment, it seemed to support my suspicion.

Again, I'm sorry if I am misjudging you on this, but something inside me says you're just playing.
                                Last edited by Cow Poke; 10-20-2014, 02:17 PM.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment