Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Quiverfull Movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
    I think the woman is completely wicked. But then, I probably shouldn't even have to say that, considering she rejects Christ.
    I agree. However, I wouldn't be too quick to overlook her traumatic experience in the throes of a ultra-fundy "movement".

She had no justification at all for divorce. She destroyed her family for no reason. Bravo.
    Let's see here: She deconverted from the faith, she saw her life in the cult as literally insane, she wouldn't stand for being submissive in a patriarchal marriage, she wouldn't pop out anymore warriors of light nor raise them with her cultic worldview, she therefore had virtually no common ground with her husband anymore, and you wanted her to remain married?

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
      more biblical model, where the wife had equal input in family decisions
      How is this more biblical?
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
        c) "So this was about political domination. The whole point of having a quiver full of babies is to … out-populate the “enemy,” … that would be all of you; and to shoot those many arrows “straight into the heart of the enemy.” And by that, we meant that our children would grow up to be leaders in all the major institutions of our society. This was our plan for taking back America for God. So the children were like arrows (which is the ammunition) in God’s holy war. So, yeah … “using children” … definitely put a great big checkmark by that one."
        Sounds like a good idea with bad execution. 11 kids is excessive, especially if you're breeding for quality. Should've stuck to 3-4.

d) "When the very definition of perfect love is sacrificing your children and martyring yourself, there is no place for emotionally healthy concepts like boundaries, consent, equality, and mutuality."
        What does this drivel even means? I don't even understand why consent is in there since she consented.

e) "Some Quiverfull kids are making the break, too. Growing up in a Quiverfull home means being raised by a narcissistic father and having a mother with a huge martyr complex. The kids are treated as property to be hoarded. They are isolated, coerced and manipulated, abused and deprived socially and educationally. As surrogate moms, the older daughters bear the brunt of the work: cleaning, cooking … even homeschooling and disciplining their younger siblings when the Quiverfull mothers become too worn down and burned out from perpetual pregnancy and trying to keep up with this unsustainable lifestyle

...When they finally encounter the “real world,” these kids are pissed"
        Nah. Ultra-fundamentalists have extremely high retention rates.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Darth, sometimes it's hard to tell if you're being sarcastic or serious.
          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Let's see here: She deconverted from the faith, she saw her life in the cult as literally insane, she wouldn't stand for being submissive in a patriarchal marriage, she wouldn't pop out anymore warriors of light nor raise them with her cultic worldview, she therefore had virtually no common ground with her husband anymore, and you wanted her to remain married?
            Does "till death do us part" have no meaning to you?

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
              Darth, sometimes it's hard to tell if you're being sarcastic or serious.
              I too am interested in your answer to the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                Does "till death do us part" have no meaning to you?
                "Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called us to peace." 1Cor. 7:15.

It seems to me that if the unbelieving party separates themselves from the believing party on account of the faith, and in hatred to it, we as believers are admonished to "let them leave". Looks like there are exceptions to that "death do us part" thing. Oh, and Jesus likewise mentioned something about martial unfaithfulness being valid ground for divorce.
                Last edited by Scrawly; 09-29-2014, 08:04 AM.

Comment

"Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called us to peace." 1Cor. 7:15.

It seems to me that if the unbelieving party separates themselves from the believing party on account of the faith, and in hatred to it, we as believers are admonished to "let them leave".
                  The point was that the woman has presented no valid reason for divorce. Quite, the husband should let her leave, but that doesn't mean her leaving is justified.

Looks like there are exceptions to that "death do us part" thing. Oh, and Jesus likewise mentioned something about martial unfaithfulness being valid ground for divorce.

Please do point out the marital unfaithfulness in this incident.

Comment

The point was that the woman has presented no valid reason for divorce. Quite, the husband should let her leave, but that doesn't mean her leaving is justified.
                    Her reason for divorce was due to becoming an unbeliever.

Please do point out the marital unfaithfulness in this incident.
                    I added that to debunk the "till death do us part" statement. Divorce is valid on the grounds of martial unfaithfulness according to Jesus.
                    Last edited by Scrawly; 09-29-2014, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Her reason for divorce was due to becoming an unbeliever and was therefore no longer obligated to the marriage covenant.
                      Yet, according to her account, she filed for divorce based on supposed 'abuse' by her husband and not because they no longer shared the same religious beliefs.

Her leaving is justified according to 1Cor. 7:15.
                      No, it is not. 1Cor. 7:15 tells the husband to let his unbelieving wife go if she wants to; that does not imply that her departure is justified.

I added that to debunk the "till death do us part" statement. Divorce is valid on the grounds of martial unfaithfulness according to Jesus.
                      Given that I never claimed that "till death do us part" was an absolute, your debunking fails. Was there any marital unfaithfulness?

Comment

Yet, according to her account, she filed for divorce based on supposed 'abuse' by her husband and not because they no longer shared the same religious beliefs.
                        Actually she interpreted Christian doctrine as abusive and looked at her relationship with Jesus as an abusive mind-trip.

No, it is not. 1Cor. 7:15 tells the husband to let his unbelieving wife go if she wants to; that does not imply that her departure is justified.
                        I edited that out.

Given that I never claimed that "till death do us part" was an absolute, your debunking fails.
                        To me, you stated it as if it was.

Was there any marital unfaithfulness?
                        I never said there was.
                        Last edited by Scrawly; 09-29-2014, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Actually she interpreted Christian doctrine as abusive and looked at her relationship with Jesus as an abusive mind-trip.
                          This is different from your earlier "her reason for divorce was due to becoming an unbeliever and was therefore no longer obligated to the marriage covenant". Make up your mind.

I never said there was.
                          So tell us: what is justification for divorce besides marital unfaithfulness?

Comment

This is different from your earlier "her reason for divorce was due to becoming an unbeliever and was therefore no longer obligated to the marriage covenant". Make up your mind.
                            It's not different. She became an unbeliever because she interpreted her relationship with Jesus to be abusive and detrimental to her mental health. She therefore decided to leave, and according to 1Cor. 7:15 she was no longer obligated to the marriage covenant due to her departure from the faith.

So tell us: what is justification for divorce besides marital unfaithfulness?
                            All I was pointing out was that the statement "till death do is part" is not exactly biblical. I accomplished that.

Comment

It's not different. She became an unbeliever because she interpreted her relationship with Jesus to be abusive and detrimental to her mental health. She therefore decided to leave, and according to 1Cor. 7:15 she was no longer obligated to the marriage covenant due to her departure from the faith.

All I was pointing out was that the statement "till death do is part" is not exactly biblical. I accomplished that.
                              Dodging again? Unsurprising.

Comment

Dodging again? Unsurprising.
                                *Chuckle* I'm going to sleep well today.

Comment