Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Got Questions about Got Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Along those lines, one thing that makes me uncomfortable is what they say about the events at Fatima. They conclude that it was a miracle of satanic origin. That seems like an awfully bold claim to make (and not to mention it might veer a little close to blaspheming to Holy Spirit if they're wrong).

http://www.gotquestions.org/lady-fatima.html
    Yeah, that's pretty much my point. I am not a fan of pejoratives or describing things in such a way as to color someone's opinion without giving a fair assessment.

For now, I think CARM does a better job, IMO (from what I have seen).

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Interesting, Phat.... appreciated.
      No problem.

As full disclosure, I do come from a continuationist background - and have had people tell me I am pretty much condoning 'satanic' activity, while using that site as 'proof'. Of course, I'd definitely like to differ on what type of activity I am actually condoning.

In all reality, while sites can be helpful, I really wish people would learn more how to study the Bible and discern for themselves. But you know...easier said that done.

Hope that helps!

Comment

rule of thumb they discount catholics and orthodox.... ehhhh.....
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

phat, I'm kind of interested in hearing exactly what your stance is if you don't mind me asking. I come from a standpoint that finds biblical arguments for cessation to be weak and I acknowledge continued miracles in the world today, but at the same time I can't deny that what Paul expected to be a normative spirit-filled church experience in his time doesn't appear to describe the reality in churches today.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

phat, I'm kind of interested in hearing exactly what your stance is if you don't mind me asking. I come from a standpoint that finds biblical arguments for cessation to be weak and I acknowledge continued miracles in the world today, but at the same time I can't deny that what Paul expected to be a normative spirit-filled church experience in his time doesn't appear to describe the reality in churches today.
            Luke 18:8 I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?”

Matthew 13:58 And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith.

I think that those verses might have something to do with it.

Comment

I essentially affirm the gifts of the spirit, and practice them to an extent. I also believe that demonic activity is just as present today as it was during the time of Christ - demonic oppression and the casting out of demons is just as necessary today as it was 2000 years ago.

I also agree that the reality in many churches today does not match what we see Paul describing to be a normative spirit-filled church experience.

Comment

Originally posted by phat8594 View Post
                In all reality, while sites can be helpful, I really wish people would learn more how to study the Bible and discern for themselves. But you know...easier said that done.
                Well, yeah, but the fact that somebody tells me they checked with an online source tells me they're "searching", or "seeking", and I can try to steer them accordingly.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Some questions you can't just get from the Bible. If somebody wants to know if Mormons are Christians, an outside source is going to be needed. But good resources will point people toward relevant Bible passages.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Some questions you can't just get from the Bible. If somebody wants to know if Mormons are Christians, an outside source is going to be needed. But good resources will point people toward relevant Bible passages.
                    Yeah, like you never would have learned from the Bible that Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid were MORMANS, and, therefore, ALL Mormons are bank robbers and criminals!
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, like you never would have learned from the Bible that Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid were MORMANS, and, therefore, ALL Mormons are bank robbers and criminals!
                      Perhaps they should have learned from Joseph Smith and engaged in fraud to rob the banks rather than using firearms.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Wow I never knew that.
                        "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                        "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                        Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by phat8594 View Post
                          Eh, I don't think its that great of a resource. In particular, I have had people use it as a 'reference' when discussing gifts of the Spirit. GotQuestions comes from a very cessationist background - and IMO, they aren't very intellectually honest in some of their assessments.
                          I agree with your assessment. Though I find it to be more shallow than intellectually dishonest. The site functions like a concordance on various topics and then provides the relevant biblical references. I don't think its a site designed for in-depth research, at least I hope not.
                          Last edited by Scrawly; 09-24-2014, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                            I agree with your assessment. Though I find it to be more shallow than intellectually dishonest. The site functions like a concordance on various topics and then provides the relevant biblical references. I don't think its a site designed for in-depth research, at least I hope not.
                            Pretty much. For the majority of people, that probably serves their purposes and that's okay.

Comment

http://www.gotquestions.org/faith.html

Merely reading their statement of faith. I do not see any problem regarding the essentials to our Christian faith. Where we might disagree would, I would think, fall into the category of secondary issues. Some of which we Christian believers here on Theologyweb might actually disagree on.

I am, for example, a cessationist. I believe all the gifts of the Holy Spirit are operational except three. I believe John the Apostle was the last apostle and church prophet until, the two return as spoken of in the Revelation. And how all the other gifts are being operational, are of course, contingent on God's will.

So I would agree with:
                              We believe that the Holy Spirit is ultimately sovereign in the distribution of spiritual gifts (1 Corinthians 12:11). We believe that the miraculous gifts of the Spirit, while by no means outside of the Spirit’s ability to empower, no longer function to the same degree they did in the early development of the church (1 Corinthians 12:4-11; 2 Corinthians 12:12; Ephesians 2:20; 4:7-12).

Points of issues where we disagree should be discussed. Only by understanding a point of view not held, can one not holding that view even be able to change his/her view.

In eschatology I am a post-trib futurist. So I would disagree with their, "imminent coming of the Lord Jesus Christ." I do believe in the future sudden "coming of the Lord Jesus Christ to rapture His saints (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18)." And many here at Theologyweb hold an orthodox preterist view on this matter.

Oh, yeah, the founder of the website has a face, http://www.gotquestions.org/S-Michael-Houdmann.html
                              Last edited by 37818; 09-27-2014, 07:32 PM.
                              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment