Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christian Clichés

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian Clichés

I know this isn't really significant and I never make a big deal out of this in fellowship/church or anything but I'm just curious if anyone else finds "Christian language" cliché? I don't know exactly what it is, but whenever I read a tweet or have someone in a causal conversation mutter the words "to God be the glory" or something like it, I get this sense of...almost insecurity on their part, or something? Like honestly, does anyone think you are withholding glory from God or is your view of God such that you feel the need to verbalize these clichés to appease Him in some fashion? Don't get me wrong, I inwardly almost feel constant thankfulness to God and see Him as deserving of glory, absolutely. However, I am not one to verbalize these things, I find it, well, cliché and at times straight up a little annoying. Perhaps there is a genuine overflow of thankfulness in the heart of those who incessantly verbalize these things that they cannot contain themselves but it just strikes me as odd and makes me feel a bit awkward quite frankly.

...Yes "to God be the glory". I agree. Thanks for stating that.

Is it just me?

There are Christian clichés that bug me but that isn't one of them. That phrase is much cooler in Latin though. Soli Deo Gloria!

What does bug me is when "Christian-ese" words that seem natural to us are used in conversations with non-Christians and we forget that they may not understand what we mean by "repentance", "sanctified", etc.

ETA: Now I have that hymn stuck in my head. To God be the glory, great things he hath done... And that's all I know of the lyrics.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I think "To God be the glory" annoys me because it almost appears as if the one speaking/writing it is assuming that somehow people are giving glory to him/her - "Oh yes-yes, I am quite amazing aren't I? Oh well, we ought to give the glory to God and not me...as hard as that is!" lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
        I think "To God be the glory" annoys me because it almost appears as if the one speaking/writing it is assuming that somehow people are giving glory to him/her - "Oh yes-yes, I am quite amazing aren't I? Oh well, we ought to give the glory to God and not me...as hard as that is!" lol.
        I think most people have the opposite problem, of not giving God enough credit
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I hate "Have a bless day"... not blessED day, but a "bless day".
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            I think most people have the opposite problem, of not giving God enough credit
            Perhaps it would appear that way if someone were to refrain from saying "To God be all the credit!", and that type of judgement should be disposed of.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              I hate "Have a bless day"... not blessED day, but a "bless day".
              Wow I've never heard that "Have a bless day"? Somehow I am associating that with "marijuana".

Comment

Perhaps it would appear that way if someone were to refrain from saying "To God be all the credit!", and that type of judgement should be disposed of.
                I guess it depends on the context. If somebody is obviously trying to say it to look good, yeah, that's bad. One example I can think of that isn't so bad is in the introduction to the ESV Bible, where the translators describe what they did and finish by giving God all the credit.

Comment

Wow I've never heard that "Have a bless day"? Somehow I am associating that with "marijuana".
                  Nah, it's mainly older black women.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I don't know what the worst is, but "God told me the other day..." and its cognates rates as one of the top three grating things Christians say. God didn't speak to you, mate.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
                        That belongs in the screwball thread more than this one...
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
                          I don't know what the worst is, but "God told me the other day..." and its cognates rates as one of the top three grating things Christians say. God didn't speak to you, mate.
                          Yeah. Why would they think the creator of the Universe would bother talking to them? They sure aren't Moses.
                          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

One of my all time favorites was "it was then that I walked the isle"... meaning "responded to the invitation to come to the altar".....

When I got to Wal-mart, I "walk the isle".
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              One of my all time favorites was "it was then that I walked the isle"... meaning "responded to the invitation to come to the altar".....

When I got to Wal-mart, I "walk the isle".
                              My Mother in Law works at her polling station on election day, and has for years claimed she was "working the polls"...
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment