Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Car Clinic at our Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Clinic at our Church

We're constantly looking at being involved in our community, and we try to do it in ways other Churches are not -- we don't want to duplicate something somebody else is doing well.

ONE of the things we're planning is to have a car clinic in our parking lot in October. Our west parking lot is nice and big, and the west entry has a large covered drive-thru that's conducive to, well, driving through or "shade tree mechanicking".

ANYWAY, our TARGET is single moms who need car care advice, but are concerned they are taken advantage of by local mechanics. OK, that's sexist, I know, but it's also a realistic concern.

We'll be doing MINOR repairs - tightening or replacing fan belts, adding water to batteries, checking coolant levels, filling washer fluid, checking tire wear.... mostly visual inspection and, as I said, MINOR repairs. We are forming strategic alliances with local repair shops that we believe to be of good reputation, and one of them has OK'd us to print "free oil change" coupons that can be used at their place of business. (up to 5 quarts of oil and one filter)

That shop, and a few others, are also offering 10-20% discounts to people we recommend.

Our ladies will be on hand to serve refreshments (yeah, more sexism ) and, if desired, give a tour of our facilities.

We're trying to think of other things that would make this a success, so I'm opening this up for comments or suggestions. (Obviously, there are liability issues, but we're checking with our insurance company, and they tend to believe we're protected, in effect, by the mechanical equivalent of the medical "Good Samaritan law".) We're not charging for services, and we're not pretending to be experts -- in fact, we'll make that disclaimer clear!

We won't LIMIT it to single moms, of course, even though that's our intended target -- we really just want to minister to the community.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

What a GREAT idea! I hope you don't mind if I rip it off and suggest it to my church at the next Deacon's meeting.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

One I'm thinking of proposing to my church is a small motors class. Women have yards to maintain, too, and mower/trimmer upkeep is a real problem for some of us. It's expensive to have to take it to the shop for everything.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        We're constantly looking at being involved in our community, and we try to do it in ways other Churches are not -- we don't want to duplicate something somebody else is doing well.

ONE of the things we're planning is to have a car clinic in our parking lot in October. Our west parking lot is nice and big, and the west entry has a large covered drive-thru that's conducive to, well, driving through or "shade tree mechanicking".

ANYWAY, our TARGET is single moms who need car care advice, but are concerned they are taken advantage of by local mechanics. OK, that's sexist, I know, but it's also a realistic concern.

We'll be doing MINOR repairs - tightening or replacing fan belts, adding water to batteries, checking coolant levels, filling washer fluid, checking tire wear.... mostly visual inspection and, as I said, MINOR repairs. We are forming strategic alliances with local repair shops that we believe to be of good reputation, and one of them has OK'd us to print "free oil change" coupons that can be used at their place of business. (up to 5 quarts of oil and one filter)

That shop, and a few others, are also offering 10-20% discounts to people we recommend.

Our ladies will be on hand to serve refreshments (yeah, more sexism ) and, if desired, give a tour of our facilities.

We're trying to think of other things that would make this a success, so I'm opening this up for comments or suggestions. (Obviously, there are liability issues, but we're checking with our insurance company, and they tend to believe we're protected, in effect, by the mechanical equivalent of the medical "Good Samaritan law".) We're not charging for services, and we're not pretending to be experts -- in fact, we'll make that disclaimer clear!

We won't LIMIT it to single moms, of course, even though that's our intended target -- we really just want to minister to the community.
        How about a class on basic maintenance? How to check your fluids, put in oil/transmission fluid, change tires - things that you sometimes need to do when help isn't available and you need to get home.

Especially changing tires - no driver should be on the road not knowing how to do that.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
          What a GREAT idea! I hope you don't mind if I rip it off and suggest it to my church at the next Deacon's meeting.
          That would be GREAT!

It's one of them thar things that's just downright practical. I think Walmart is going to donate antifreeze and windshield washer fluid, and some of the local dealerships might be loaning us a mechanic or two. We don't want to "commercialize" this, but it could be a way of showing that we work together in our community.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            How about a class on basic maintenance? How to check your fluids, put in oil/transmission fluid, change tires - things that you sometimes need to do when help isn't available and you need to get home.

Especially changing tires - no driver should be on the road not knowing how to do that.
            Hmmmm.. that, AND I could probably get Discount Tire (local) to donate free rotation/balance!

Comment

And perhaps how to tell someone's trying to pull one on you...like saying the carborator(sp?) on your 2014 vehicle needs adjusting.
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                And perhaps how to tell someone's trying to pull one on you...like saying the carborator(sp?) on your 2014 vehicle needs adjusting.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Just as FYI...our lead pastor knows nothing really about cars besides putting in oil. He calls other people...He's honest that way. BWHAHAHAHA. ..
                  Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                    Or the ceramic muffler bearings need tuning, or the car needs turn signal fluid, or....

Comment

It's a great idea, CP!

But I must interject that not all mechanics are dishonest.

My father made his living as one, and there was never a man of greater integrity than he. My daughter admired him so much that she actually went into training to be one also, but she got quite ill and that idea fell away.

I am very proud of my Dad, and yes, there are too few like him in this world.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I am sure there are honest mechanics. No doubt about that, but unfortunately not all are honest. I have observed a *TEACHER* telling future car mechanics to always try to sell unneccesary spare parts/replacing stuff that is functioning perfectly. He did this knowing I was observing him, I wonder what else he would have told them in my absence!

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                          It's a great idea, CP!

But I must interject that not all mechanics are dishonest.
                          Oh, that's definitely true! Which is why we're trying to figure out how to invite some, not others, to partner with us on this!
                          One of my mentors was a local mechanic that I called "pop" -- an excellent Christian and an all around fine man. (Even though he was Catholic)

My father made his living as one, and there was never a man of greater integrity than he. My daughter admired him so much that she actually went into training to be one also, but she got quite ill and that idea fell away.

I am very proud of my Dad, and yes, there are too few like him in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Oh, that's definitely true! Which is why we're trying to figure out how to invite some, not others, to partner with us on this!
                            One of my mentors was a local mechanic that I called "pop" -- an excellent Christian and an all around fine man. (Even though he was Catholic)

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

One of our guys suggested we serve breakfast tacos in the morning til about 11 AM, then serve free hotdogs cooked outside near where we're working.
                              He volunteered to be the cook, cause he says he stinks as a mechanic.

Comment