Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music

Does music influence us spiritually? Or does the type of music we listen to merely reflect our spiritual state? How about the producer behind the music - in many cases it is clearly a thoroughly secular mind producing it - does the fact that we enjoy and revel in it reveal that our minds are likewise not being transformed by Christ or does this fall under the category of: Titus 1:15: "To the pure, all things are pure; but to those who are defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure, but both their mind and their conscience are defiled."

Here is a sample of some of the music I adore. Let me know if anyone can detect a red flag and provide your reasons why:

I don't really listen to Christian music for the most part. I find much of its theology to be poor, to put it kindly. At the same time, I'm fairly careful about the lyrical content of what I listen to because I do believe it can have an effect on us. (The only band you linked to that I'm familiar with is Foster the People; I really liked their first album.)

A friend of mine did a podcast awhile back on this subject. He didn't like the ghettoization of Christian vs. everything else in musical culture. http://www.rightreason.org/2009/epis...eing-a-person/ At the same time, I could see how a Christian could have a hard time finding a niche in mainstream music genres like dirty South rap or black metal.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Also I could see how some people who experienced dramatic conversions from certain lifestyles may need to leave all vestiges of that lifestyle behind, including certain genres of music, as a weaker brother, or to avoid getting dragged back in. Like maybe somebody who was attending drug-fueled raves every weekend needs to leave dance type music behind in some cases.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Good points KG, I'll check out that podcast too, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I don't really listen to Christian music for the most part. I find much of its theology to be poor, to put it kindly. At the same time, I'm fairly careful about the lyrical content of what I listen to because I do believe it can have an effect on us. (The only band you linked to that I'm familiar with is Foster the People; I really liked their first album.)

A friend of mine did a podcast awhile back on this subject. He didn't like the ghettoization of Christian vs. everything else in musical culture. http://www.rightreason.org/2009/epis...eing-a-person/ At the same time, I could see how a Christian could have a hard time finding a niche in mainstream music genres like dirty South rap or black metal.
          Yeah....

Edit: Although a purist would take umbrage with your application of the word "mainstream" to the genre.
          Last edited by Zymologist; 08-18-2014, 09:31 AM.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            I agree that a lot of modern praises are weak theologically. I don't want to throw the whole group out as I do run over some strong theology in them.

I once describe it as the hymn writers would be saved and grown theologically before they really wrote whereas today they get saved and immediately start writing as if they know something. Similar to the people who get saved on a Monday and think on Tuesday they're ready to be a pastor. (Sorry, rant)
            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
              I agree that a lot of modern praises are weak theologically. I don't want to throw the whole group out as I do run over some strong theology in them.

I once describe it as the hymn writers would be saved and grown theologically before they really wrote whereas today they get saved and immediately start writing as if they know something. Similar to the people who get saved on a Monday and think on Tuesday they're ready to be a pastor. (Sorry, rant)
              Good points. I found some Christian rap by CrossMovement - Lacrae, Flame, etc. - to have more substantial theology than many sermons. However, I only like a few of their songs because I have a distaste for rap in general and it almost seems like a gateway into secular rap-music, although, I imagine it works the other way too - to provide a passage out of the mire of secular rap. So it's all good. Anyhow, on another note :

Comment

I'm somewhat encouraged by the New Hymn Movement.

One of my very favorite such "new hymns" is....

It actually has a MESSAGE!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

LeCrae is AWESOME!! I listen to mostly Contemporary Christian Music though. I like simple messages of the love God has for us and about how we love Him. I like everything from Crowder to Toby Mac to Jason Gray to Michael Dub to Mark Lowery. I'm all over the place, but I do not typically listen to anything outside of my playlist. But I am also an 80's kid, so I can listen to just about anything from my youth... I think it CAN be a reflection of your spiritual state, or it can just be a matter of taste in musical ability. There is no pat answer that covers everyone.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    Mark Lowery
                    He's an IDIOT!!

But I DO love when he messes with Bill Gaither, and I DO love it when he sings "Mary, Did you Know?"
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      He's an IDIOT!!

But I DO love when he messes with Bill Gaither, and I DO love it when he sings "Mary, Did you Know?"
                      I love his comedy routines
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        I love his comedy routines
                        A friend of ours bought us front row seats at a place in Houston where Gaithers were playing, and Mark was driving one of those scooters like you see in Walmart -- I think he had wrecked his motorcycle -- so when he was driving up the isle, he looked right at me, and said, "BILL, LOOK -- THAT man has a nose as big as YOURS!!!"

I laughed so hard I was nearly in tears.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          I'm somewhat encouraged by the New Hymn Movement.

One of my very favorite such "new hymns" is....

It actually has a MESSAGE!
                          I like that too.

Sunday in church we (the praise band) played "This is Amazing Grace". It is a great song, and we will be playing it next Sunday too. We want to get the congregation familiar with it.

I just just got the setlist, we are also playing "God is Able" and "Glory to God Forever".
                          Last edited by Timothy; 10-07-2014, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I think having something like this play in church during a time of meditation on say Luke 14:31 (and surrounding verses) could really benefit one spiritually:

Last edited by Scrawly; 10-09-2014, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Music does set mood.

Music can be spiritual and good, without even having lyrics.

". . . And it came to pass, when the [evil] spirit from God was upon Saul, that David took an harp, and played with his hand: so Saul was refreshed, and was well, and the evil spirit departed from him. . . ." -- 2 Samuel 16:23. The music did three things, the last being spiritually good for Saul. Saul heard it, was refreshed by it. Mentally made well by it, and it caused that evil spirit to depart.
                              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment