Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Are Ministers Ordained by Seminaries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Ministers Ordained by Seminaries?

In my thread on Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, a discussion ensued regarding Jesse's ordination, and a cited article seemed to imply he was ordained by a seminary. Elsewhere, on that same cited website, it's clear that was not true. Really sloppy writing.

So, Tab asks the pertinent question.....

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    Is it possible that some seminaries do actually ordain people? There are a number of different procedures through various denominations.
    I don't know of ANY denominations that handle their ordinations through their seminaries, but that doesn't mean none of them do.

Do you know of any recognized denominations that ordain through their seminaries, rather than their churches? I noted in the Jackson/Sharpton that even the "online ordination" scams use an associated fake CHURCH to do their "ordination".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I don't know about the practices of other churches, but in the Catholic and Anglican traditions, during the ordination ceremony, the rector of the seminary is asked to testify to the theological readiness of the ordinands. I performed that role once for an Episcopalian student who was being ordained, but who had been trained in a University setting and not in a seminary.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
      I don't know about the practices of other churches, but in the Catholic and Anglican traditions, during the ordination ceremony, the rector of the seminary is asked to testify to the theological readiness of the ordinands. I performed that role once for an Episcopalian student who was being ordained, but who had been trained in a University setting and not in a seminary.
      Thanks... so the CHURCH does the ordination, but the Seminary testifies to the readiness, yes?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Thanks... so the CHURCH does the ordination, but the Seminary testifies to the readiness, yes?
        Correct.
        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
          Correct.
          Thanks -- you inspired me to check by denomination, and what you describe seems to be not so uncommon. Still haven't found any Seminaries that actually "do" the ordaining.

Comment

It would seem then, that a seminary could ordain a person, provided that the officiating officer was a bishop or equivalent?
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
              It would seem then, that a seminary could ordain a person, provided that the officiating officer was a bishop or equivalent?
              I really don't think so -- I think this is a division of labor, so to speak... Ordination represents the Apostles "laying aside" an individual for the work of the Church, and Seminaries are charged with the role of preparing them.

If the "officiating officer" was "a bishop or equivalent", then he would be acting in his role as clergy, not educator.

But I'm still looking!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                That's my experience when a seminary is involved. I have seen churches both do the training and ordination both.
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                  That's my experience when a seminary is involved. I have seen churches both do the training and ordination both.
                  The Southern Baptists have SIX seminaries of our own, but they do the educating --- local Churches do the ordaining.

Comment

In the PCUSA a seminary couldn't ordain. Ordination is part of recognizing that someone has been called to a specific role. It's the church that does that. In theory I guess a seminary could ordain someone who was going to be a chaplain at that seminary, but normally graduating from a seminary prepares you for a call but it's not the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by hedrick View Post
                      In the PCUSA a seminary couldn't ordain. Ordination is part of recognizing that someone has been called to a specific role. It's the church that does that.
                      EGGzackly!

In theory I guess a seminary could ordain someone who was going to be a chaplain at that seminary, but normally graduating from a seminary prepares you for a call but it's not the same thing.
                      I can't really imagine that a seminary - which supposedly teaches the Bible and "Churchy" stuff - would usurp the Church's authority in ordaining. I would imagine the Seminary would request that the candidate's own Church ordain him.

Comment