Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Do Reverends Al and Jesse actually Rev?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Reverends Al and Jesse actually Rev?

I mean, seriously, they (Reverends Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson) are always referred to as "reverend", but do they pastor, preach, minister?

I honestly don't know, which is why I'm asking!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

They preach the social gospel...

In all seriousness, good question, I don't know.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      They preach the social gospel...
      Yeah, kinda, but it's more about liberation theology, I think.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        minister
        I think they minister.....to those in certain "causes".

Comment

Oh my goodness -- there's the grumpy Rev Jackson now, hogging the spotlight at Ferguson, Mo.

Comment

Both are Baptist but I can't find any indication they presently serve or that Jackson ever did.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

As far as I know, neither one is an accredited minister. They seem to be only ministers of politics.
              "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                As far as I know, neither one is an accredited minister. They seem to be only ministers of politics.
                If they're Baptist, the term would not be "accredited", it would be "ordained". And I think they both are. Sharpton was actually ordained as a Pentecostal Minister when he was 9 years old (yes, nine) then became a Baptist in the late 80's.

Jackson was ordained in 1968, but I don't know much about that.

Comment

If they're Baptist, the term would not be "accredited", it would be "ordained". And I think they both are. Sharpton was actually ordained as a Pentecostal Minister when he was 9 years old (yes, nine) then became a Baptist in the late 80's.

Jackson was ordained in 1968, but I don't know much about that.
                  Ah ok, sorry about that. I thought it would have been the same thing. Seems "ordained" doesn't mean very much if you can get it at 9. I never really considered them reverends or ministers of any type. I never see them preaching the Gospel.
                  "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                    Ah ok, sorry about that. I thought it would have been the same thing. Seems "ordained" doesn't mean very much if you can get it at 9.
                    The Pentecostal Church can be a tad different.

I never really considered them reverends or ministers of any type. I never see them preaching the Gospel.
                    That's what I'm asking interested in -- do they preach or pastor? So far, doesn't seem like it.

Comment

The Pentecostal Church can be a tad different.

That's what I'm asking interested in -- do they preach or pastor? So far, doesn't seem like it.
                      I have seen Sharpton on church podiums preaching. But it was never the Word of God. Usually some politician was always in the front pew.

Comment

What then is a reverend? What influenced does a reverend have in a society? What kind of minister is Reverend Jesse Jackson? A reverend is a man of God ordained by Theological Seminary such as the Seminary Jesse Jackson attended in Chicago. And though Jesse Jackson dropped from the Seminary to pursue his dreams for his nation, he was bestowed the Reverend title by the Seminary due to his achievement for the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. The Reverend Jesse Jackson influenced the people around him with his faith and words of God not in a church congregation but mostly on rallies, demonstration and later Democratic addresses and convention. The reverend in Jesse Jackson became a title equivalent to honorable.
                        http://jessejackson.net/jesse-jackso...-is-a-reverend

Comment

Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
                          A reverend is a man of God ordained by Theological Seminary such as the Seminary Jesse Jackson attended in Chicago.
                          Seminaries don't ordain preachers -- that's a function of the Church.

he was bestowed the Reverend title by the Seminary due to his achievement for the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.
                          You're confusing an honorary seminary degree with ordination.
                          Last edited by Cow Poke; 08-15-2014, 10:50 PM.

Comment

I'm not confusing it. I simply cited why other people feel he is due this title. I don't.

He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name. (Psalm 111:9, KJV)
                            Last edited by foudroyant; 08-15-2014, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
                              I'm not confusing it. I simply cited why other people feel he is due this title. I don't.
                              You provided inaccurate information, and apparently were not aware of the difference.

Comment