Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

God Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God Talk

I don't really know how to compose this post because I only have a vague idea of what I want to say. Basically I feel like I have come to a point where I am not really interested in hearing people talk or preach about God. Now, just to be clear, I do attend a Bible study and I do go with joy and anticipation of hearing Holy Spirit inspired wisdom and I also enjoy reading the Bible and prayer. However, at the end of the day I don't really feel like God is actively engaging much. There is a lot coming from our side but not much coming from His side, if you know what I mean. Yes, yes, I do look to the cross and see God coming in the person of Christ and I do believe and cherish that, but after reading the Scriptures and seeing how God interacts with others and the acts he performed, well, it just gets hard when we don't get any of that. Yes, yes, I do also believe in the inner workings of the Holy Spirit and I do see the transformations He brings about, but is continuously talking to God and talking about God and subjectively experiencing what may or may not be God is as far as we should expect things to go in this life?
    Last edited by Scrawly; 08-10-2014, 08:35 PM.

I hate to be this blunt... but I don't really like the part where it looks like you're kind of denigrating the personal experience of another user of this site.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Fixed it. You're right that was unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I hate to be this blunt... but I don't really like the part where it looks like you're kind of denigrating the personal experience of another user of this site.
        It's me, isn't it?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
          Basically I feel like I have come to a point where I am not really interested in hearing people talk or preach about God.
          Couldn't this be just a phase?
          Perhaps refresh yourself with something - a small break, light exercise, more sleep, etc (?)

Comment

I don't really know how to compose this post because I only have a vague idea of what I want to say. Basically I feel like I have come to a point where I am not really interested in hearing people talk or preach about God. Now, just to be clear, I do attend a Bible study and I do go with joy and anticipation of hearing Holy Spirit inspired wisdom and I also enjoy reading the Bible and prayer. However, at the end of the day I don't really feel like God is actively engaging much. There is a lot coming from our side but not much coming from His side, if you know what I mean. Yes, yes, I do look to the cross and see God coming in the person of Christ and I do believe and cherish that, but after reading the Scriptures and seeing how God interacts with others and the acts he performed, well, it just gets hard when we don't get any of that. Yes, yes, I do also believe in the inner workings of the Holy Spirit and I do see the transformations He brings about, but is continuously talking to God and talking about God and subjectively experiencing what may or may not be God is as far as we should expect things to go in this life?
            Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: Bill the Cat

No post here.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
            Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Bill the Cat; 10-07-2014, 11:13 AM.

Comment

I don't really know how to compose this post because I only have a vague idea of what I want to say. Basically I feel like I have come to a point where I am not really interested in hearing people talk or preach about God. Now, just to be clear, I do attend a Bible study and I do go with joy and anticipation of hearing Holy Spirit inspired wisdom and I also enjoy reading the Bible and prayer. However, at the end of the day I don't really feel like God is actively engaging much. There is a lot coming from our side but not much coming from His side, if you know what I mean. Yes, yes, I do look to the cross and see God coming in the person of Christ and I do believe and cherish that, but after reading the Scriptures and seeing how God interacts with others and the acts he performed, well, it just gets hard when we don't get any of that. Yes, yes, I do also believe in the inner workings of the Holy Spirit and I do see the transformations He brings about,
              Maybe saying a specific kind of prayer just before you leave home and again immediately before the study would help: Rivers of Babylon style - Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in thy sight this night. Let my words and thoughts be only of you and of the things that you would have me say and do. Be with us, and guide our thoughts and speech into proper understanding, guide our actions that they demonstrate only your praise. Keep in mind that the Holy Spirit usually doesn't do a whole lot without an active invitation.

And - be prepared to wait ... Interesting things don't always happen on the spot.
              Studies should also be based on a prayerful and responsive plan. A formula style programme won't allow the kind of interaction you want. If God wants the focus to be on "the parable of the two sons", there's little point in following the formula's requirement for the "parable of the tares".

but is continuously talking to God and talking about God and subjectively experiencing what may or may not be God is as far as we should expect things to go in this life?
              No. And SelfReasoning4All's comment is kind of to the point. I'm tossing up whether I should steal it.
              Last edited by tabibito; 08-10-2014, 11:43 PM.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I can sort of understand where you are coming from. I think about God and the relationship I have through Jesus, but I do not expect any special "engagement" from God. He is working all the time and that is good enough for me. The Bible speaks to us, the world provides for us - at God's hand. What more do I need? I am not all that interested in a lot of advice type speeches even though they may be perfectly Biblical. I love the sermons I hear at Church, and that is good for me. God carries me and I don't need to "feel engaged."

I don't know if this is of any help. I hope so, if not simply disregard.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  I can sort of understand where you are coming from. I think about God and the relationship I have through Jesus, but I do not expect any special "engagement" from God. He is working all the time and that is good enough for me. The Bible speaks to us, the world provides for us - at God's hand. What more do I need? I am not all that interested in a lot of advice type speeches even though they may be perfectly Biblical. I love the sermons I hear at Church, and that is good for me. God carries me and I don't need to "feel engaged."

I don't know if this is of any help. I hope so, if not simply disregard.
                  Need an Amen button
                  3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

We live in an extremely unbelieving modern generation (including on the Christian side). Like cause and effect, I think this is the unfortunate result. The gospels make it clear in a few places that skepticism breeds lack of spiritual activity.

Comment

I think you need outflow.

There is a pond near our Church that we jokingly call "scum pond". It has inlets for rainwater, but no outlets. The water just pools there and stagnates, and sometimes the scum on top is so thick it looks like you could walk on it.

Too many times, Christians think in terms of "reading the Bible, attending bible studies or small groups, going to Church".. which, in many cases, is "inflow".

When I have dealt with Christians expressing thoughts like your OP, I encourage them to engage in "outflow" -- "giving" -- serving, sharing, doing. Most recently, one of our ladies was expressing such sentiments and we got her involved in our Nursing Home Ministry, where we have "Church Services" at each one of our six local nursing homes once a month -- each month we do two of the six nursing homes at 2:30 and 3:30 in the afternoon. She went with us ONE TIME and and absolutely loved it, and she has been a very valuable asset to our Church in helping in this area. Now she never misses. More importantly, she sees God working through her.

Same thing with an older man and our jail ministry -- he said Sunday Morning, "I love our Church, but I'd rather be in jail this morning". MOST Sundays, he's at one of our area county jails doing Church services or visiting the prisoners.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        I think you need outflow.

There is a pond near our Church that we jokingly call "scum pond". It has inlets for rainwater, but no outlets. The water just pools there and stagnates, and sometimes the scum on top is so thick it looks like you could walk on it.

Too many times, Christians think in terms of "reading the Bible, attending bible studies or small groups, going to Church".. which, in many cases, is "inflow".

When I have dealt with Christians expressing thoughts like your OP, I encourage them to engage in "outflow" -- "giving" -- serving, sharing, doing. Most recently, one of our ladies was expressing such sentiments and we got her involved in our Nursing Home Ministry, where we have "Church Services" at each one of our six local nursing homes once a month -- each month we do two of the six nursing homes at 2:30 and 3:30 in the afternoon. She went with us ONE TIME and and absolutely loved it, and she has been a very valuable asset to our Church in helping in this area. Now she never misses. More importantly, she sees God working through her.

Same thing with an older man and our jail ministry -- he said Sunday Morning, "I love our Church, but I'd rather be in jail this morning". MOST Sundays, he's at one of our area county jails doing Church services or visiting the prisoners.
                        Amen button!

Stop looking for God to engage you...go ye therefore...
                        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                          Amen button!

Stop looking for God to engage you...go ye therefore...
                          Yeah

Comment

Very, very good points. I actually tell myself much of what was written in the responses, but its good to read it from others. Each post was definitely on point. Now, I am not looking to really counter any of the sentiments expressed because I am trying to create room for explorative thoughts more than a defensive posture. So, with that said, I would like to touch upon where Jesus states that those who believe in Him will do what He was doing and even greater than these - I do believe He has in mind literal miracles, among other things such as gospel spreading. There is another verse that speaks of spiritual gifts, one of which is the "working of miracles"/"deeds of power". Where are these miraculous happenings in our Churches?

Finally, I would just like to state that our relationship with Christ is of course the end all be all, yet should we never expect the risen Christ to audibly talk with us? Or create some comforting miracles for His children when they are going through dark valley's? Shouldn't our relationship with Christ be far more exciting and tangible in ways than it is for so many? Like I said, I do experience subjective comforts and encouragement through the Scriptures, but comfort can easily be attributed to other things and have similar feelings manufactured. Should we not therefore experience more of the supernatural in our lives that is unmistakably of God?

Comment

Finally, I would just like to state that our relationship with Christ is of course the end all be all, yet should we never expect the risen Christ to audibly talk with us? Or create some comforting miracles for His children when they are going through dark valley's? Shouldn't our relationship with Christ be far more exciting and tangible in ways than it is for so many? Like I said, I do experience subjective comforts and encouragement through the Scriptures, but comfort can easily be attributed to other things and have similar feelings manufactured. Should we not therefore experience more of the supernatural in our lives that is unmistakably of God?
                              Yes, our relationship with God is the end of all and that is what we should strive for. Just try to remember, we are all individuals and God will interact with each of us individually. There is no "normal" relationship with God. There are things God will do but each believer gets different degrees. I hope I'm being clear on this.

I struggle with how frequently a follower should hear the audible voice of God or experience a miracle. Those who have said to me they heard the audible voice and have a credible witness to me, the experience is a once maybe twice in a lifetime event. I suppose it could be more frequent but I've never met anyone who had that. The same seems to go with miracles although that depends on how you define a miracle. For what its worth, my definition is its a definitive working by God that changes people's lives.

We live in one of the most material ages the world has seen. So there is a relentless effort to explain everything away as material process rather than the spiritual and material interacting. I think we can experience more supernatural in our lives - its just takes more effort today to separate from the relentless materialism in the world.

May God bless you on your seeking.
                              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment