Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Should Christians use other miracles to convert others?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Christians use other miracles to convert others?

For example, the levitation of St Joseph of Cupertino.
    Thoughts?

I'm thinking about this because, from what I've read, it seems a strong miracle case (although I will admit that I have read little)
    -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
    Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
    Sir Isaac Newton

The question would be - how could they be so used?
    It would be necessary for the person telling the story to be considered wholly reliable before his statements would be deemed at all credible.
    Even then, it is third party witness (hearsay).
    The miracles confirmed in the Bible as true, performed by Christ and the founding apostles, and the resurrection itself are not deemed credible: how much less so miracles that don't even have the stamp of Biblical approval?
    Last edited by tabibito; 08-10-2014, 08:17 AM.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I catch flack for this, but I believe it ultimately comes down to the power of the Holy Spirit who draws, convinces, convicts and leads a sinner to repentance.

I guess I'm old fashioned -- just preach Jesus, Him crucified, buried and risen again, and give a consistent testimony. But, of course, there's always somebody "looking for a sign".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Why not just go for the resurrection of Christ? There's some pretty strong evidence for it and unlike the other case you mention... it has strong bearing on whether Christianity is true.

Of course, as CP says, only the Holy Spirit can convert, and we can't just expect to tell people about this and instantly convert them. But it might be a start.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

While the resurrection is indeed the most significant of the miracles, and having wider reaching effects than any other, the miracles performed by Christ each form parts of the gospel. And the authority exercised by the founding disciples (not only the apostles) is by no means irrelevant to the gospel.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I catch flack for this, but I believe it ultimately comes down to the power of the Holy Spirit who draws, convinces, convicts and leads a sinner to repentance.

I guess I'm old fashioned -- just preach Jesus, Him crucified, buried and risen again, and give a consistent testimony. But, of course, there's always somebody "looking for a sign".
            Yeah. Christians don't convert anybody. We simply relay the gospel, as stated by CP.

And frankly, I don't think we should be seeking signs. That is what the Word of Faith movement does. Everything has to be a miracle or sign, and that just is not how God works in this day and age, because we have complete revelation in the person of Jesus and in scripture.
            Last edited by mossrose; 08-10-2014, 10:52 AM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Don't be disingenuous about evangelization. Unless you yourself can offer a compelling explanation for why miracles happen outside of what you perceive as THE ONE TRUE CHURCH, your rhetorical ethos goes down the tubes.
              Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                Don't be disingenuous about evangelization. Unless you yourself can offer a compelling explanation for why miracles happen outside of what you perceive as THE ONE TRUE CHURCH, your rhetorical ethos goes down the tubes.
                ?
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                  ?
                  If you can shrug your shoulders and get on with your life without these miracles challenging the way you think, you give your audience every excuse they need to do the same.
                  Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                    If you can shrug your shoulders and get on with your life without these miracles challenging the way you think, you give your audience every excuse they need to do the same.
                    Why would I do that? People don't readily accept the witness of the Bible - chances that they would accept a witness from other sources in support of Christianity is pretty remote.

And .................... one true church? ....................... woddat?
                    Last edited by tabibito; 08-10-2014, 11:27 AM.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

"For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

His point is that it doesn't make sense for a non-Catholic to appeal to a Catholic miracle. And I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                          His point is that it doesn't make sense for a non-Catholic to appeal to a Catholic miracle. And I agree.
                          I do too. Thus the thread I started awhile back about whatever happened at Fatima and what the implications of it would be if it could be demonstrated to be an authentic miracle.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            I do too. Thus the thread I started awhile back about whatever happened at Fatima and what the implications of it would be if it could be demonstrated to be an authentic miracle.
                            God can use pagans for His glory too, I don't see the problem.
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                              While the resurrection is indeed the most significant of the miracles, and having wider reaching effects than any other, the miracles performed by Christ each form parts of the gospel. And the authority exercised by the founding disciples (not only the apostles) is by no means irrelevant to the gospel.
                              Yeah, but you can't be saved without believing in the resurrection. I know of no scripture that says you must believe Jesus turned water into wine to be saved.

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

But I get what you're saying.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment