See less

Jewish law, halakhah, means "go" or "walk."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As to the role of women - that is a very confusing issue.
    Despite recording the existence of women who were prophets, and even a named woman who was an apostle - we still see Paul requiring that women submit to Old Testament laws. And even in the Old Testament, women were prophets, and one named woman was a Judge (as close to an apostle as was possible under the Old Covenant.) All very confusing.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
      Slavery was abolished in Britain, beginning in 1804 (first stage, ending actual trading) and being completed in 1834. The movement to end slavery began in the late 1700s. So Bahai didn't invent the idea.
      No the Baha'i Faith did not, but prior to the mid 1800's it was an unresolved issue and the scripture of the Bible, Koran and other scriptures of the world it was an unresolved issue. In the USA many justified slavery based on scripture as ownership of foreigners.

The Biblical concepts of slavery are somewhat different from those we are used to, and even the Old Testament concepts aren't the same. True enough, they are still not acceptable by today's standards, but nothing like as atrocious as those that developed as the Roman Empire got into full stride.
      Your trying to whitewash Biblical slavery. It was just as atrocious as the ownership of foreigners then any other system of slavery. The OT did differentiate indentured servitude for Hebrews, and foreign slaves which could be bought and sold and did not have the rights of Hebrew servents.

Judgement day is independent of the covenants. It is a day set for the creation of a new Heaven and Earth, at which time the righteous will and unrighteous will be separated. Before that time there will be tribulation of a level that the world has never seen. There was a judgement day set for the end of the old covenant - but that was a judgement on those who were under that covenant, and corresponded to the advent of the messiah - where wheat was sorted from chaff. A different kind of judgement altogether, but the two judgement days can be conflated.
      There are many views as to how the Messianic prophecy was or will be fulfilled as it was in the days of Jesus. Waiting and waiting has lead to many clinging to ancient archaic world views with a selective redacted view of their scripture to make it fit a modern world. Something is clearly out of sink here.

Comment

As to the role of women - that is a very confusing issue.
        Despite recording the existence of women who were prophets, and even a named woman who was an apostle - we still see Paul requiring that women submit to Old Testament laws. And even in the Old Testament, women were prophets, and one named woman was a Judge (as close to an apostle as was possible under the Old Covenant.) All very confusing.
        Confusing, because ancient archaic scripture fails to give clear guidance for the modern world.

Comment

Your trying to whitewash Biblical slavery. It was just as atrocious as the ownership of foreigners then any other system of slavery. The OT did differentiate indentured servitude for Hebrews, and foreign slaves which could be bought and sold and did not have the rights of Hebrew servents.
          Not trying to whitewash anything. Hebrew slavery was bad, as was Roman (Republic and early Empire), but not atrocious ... or at least, not AS atrocious as the kind of things that typify later Roman Empire and other "cultures' " slavery - even today. There were laws applying equally to foreign and Hebrew slaves which worked against mistreatment at least to some extent.

Confusing, because ancient archaic scripture fails to give clear guidance for the modern world.
          Confusing because Paul - and only Paul - issued those edicts, and yet he acknowledged women as significant players, even to the highest rank. The early churches ignored those edicts for a few hundred years, and Constantinople for longer than did Rome. Mixed gender convents were often led by Abbesses. The most confusing issue is the churches' decision to abandon the practice.
          Last edited by tabibito; 08-06-2014, 08:56 AM.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            Judgement day is independent of the covenants. It is a day set for the creation of a new Heaven and Earth, at which time the righteous will and unrighteous will be separated. Before that time there will be tribulation of a level that the world has never seen. There was a judgement day set for the end of the old covenant - but that was a judgement on those who were under that covenant, and corresponded to the advent of the messiah - where wheat was sorted from chaff. A different kind of judgement altogether, but the two judgement days can be conflated.
            There are many views as to how the Messianic prophecy was or will be fulfilled as it was in the days of Jesus. Waiting and waiting has lead to many clinging to ancient archaic world views with a selective redacted view of their scripture to make it fit a modern world. Something is clearly out of sink here.
            "The relation of man to the Deity was also conceived of in Biblical times as a covenant concluded by God with certain men or nations, from which all laws derived their sanctity and perpetuity. God, when creating the heavens and the earth, made a covenant with them to observe the rules of day and night (Jer. xxxiii. 25), and when the flood caused by the sin of all flesh had interrupted the operation of the law, He hung the rainbow in the clouds as a sign of the covenant, to assure men that it would not again be suspended on account of man's sin. He thus made a special covenant with Noah and his sons, requiring them to preserve and show due regard for all human life, while pledging the preservation of the order of earthly life for all generations (Gen. ix. 1-17). Regarding this so-called Noachian covenant see below."

Prior to this was this statement:

Covenant Between Men and Nations.

Every covenant required some kind of religious rite in which the Deity was invoked as a witness to render it valid (Gen. xxi. 23; Josh. ix. 19; Judges ix. 46; Jer. xxxiv. 18). The covenant made the life and property of the confederates ("ba'ale berit," Gen. xiv. 13) inviolable. To break "the covenant of the brothers" (Amos i. 9) was a heinous sin, and imposed the penalty of death (II Sam. iii. 28). The Mosaic law, therefore, forbade Israel making a covenant with the idolatrous inhabitants of Canaan or "with their gods" (Ex. xxiii. 32, xxxiv. 12; Deut. vii. 2).

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by mitzi View Post
                "The relation of man to the Deity was also conceived of in Biblical times as a covenant concluded by God with certain men or nations, from which all laws derived their sanctity and perpetuity. God, when creating the heavens and the earth, made a covenant with them to observe the rules of day and night (Jer. xxxiii. 25), and when the flood caused by the sin of all flesh had interrupted the operation of the law, He hung the rainbow in the clouds as a sign of the covenant, to assure men that it would not again be suspended on account of man's sin. He thus made a special covenant with Noah and his sons, requiring them to preserve and show due regard for all human life, while pledging the preservation of the order of earthly life for all generations (Gen. ix. 1-17). Regarding this so-called Noachian covenant see below."

Prior to this was this statement:

Covenant Between Men and Nations.

Every covenant required some kind of religious rite in which the Deity was invoked as a witness to render it valid (Gen. xxi. 23; Josh. ix. 19; Judges ix. 46; Jer. xxxiv. 18). The covenant made the life and property of the confederates ("ba'ale berit," Gen. xiv. 13) inviolable. To break "the covenant of the brothers" (Amos i. 9) was a heinous sin, and imposed the penalty of death (II Sam. iii. 28). The Mosaic law, therefore, forbade Israel making a covenant with the idolatrous inhabitants of Canaan or "with their gods" (Ex. xxiii. 32, xxxiv. 12; Deut. vii. 2).
                I basically understand this view, but it is an ancient world view from a limited perspective of one culture out of many through out history all over the world. Your arguing from the perspective that God only pick one people as his chosen people. As I investigate the different religions through time from the different cultures of the world, it becomes illogical and irrational that God chooses only one people to be his chosen people.

Comment

I basically understand this view, but it is an ancient world view from a limited perspective of one culture out of many through out history all over the world. Your arguing from the perspective that God only pick one people as his chosen people. As I investigate the different religions through time from the different cultures of the world, it becomes illogical and irrational that God chooses only one people to be his chosen people.
                  Actually there is good evidence that the origin of the Hebrew scripture is Canaanite.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by mitzi View Post
                      .....and Context
                      The Ministry of the Twelve
                      5 These twelve Jesus sent out after instructing them: "Do not go in the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter any city of the Samaritans; 6but rather go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7"And as you go, preach, saying, 'The kingdom of heaven is at hand.'…
                      Things had to be wrapped up in Israel properly - once that had been done, the instruction was extended to cover all nations.
                      As to why Israel was a chosen people, had they done what was required, they would have effectively been a priesthood for the nations much as Levi was the priesthood to the tribes.
                      Paleo-Hebrew was a Canaanite type alphabet, but the writing practices weren't. Where Canaanite scripts were written left to right and had been long before Paleo-Hebrew was adopted, Paleo-Hebrew was written left to right, right to left, or vertically. Canaanite wasn't the only influence acting on Hebrew writing.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Things had to be wrapped up in Israel properly - once that had been done, the instruction was extended to cover all nations.
                        Kind of a grand delusion st the minimum. Are you sure the whole world?

As to why Israel was a chosen people, had they done what was required, they would have effectively been a priesthood for the nations much as Levi was the priesthood to the tribes.
                        As to why Israel would be the chosen people? Does not answer the question, nor the problematic issue of many more when the whole world is taken into consideration throughout history.

Paleo-Hebrew was a Canaanite type alphabet, but the writing practices weren't. Where Canaanite scripts were written left to right and had been long before Paleo-Hebrew was adopted, Paleo-Hebrew was written left to right, right to left, or vertically. Canaanite wasn't the only influence acting on Hebrew writing.
                        The change in writing practices does not discount the fact the early Hebrew alphabet was fundamentally the older Canaanite alphabet, and writing from which Hebrew evolved.

There are of course other influences acting on Hebrew scripture and writing, but the influence was strong on the influence of Canaanite writings on the actual text, going back as far as Sumerian influence the text. There is also possible Egyptian influence.
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-09-2014, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Things had to be wrapped up in Israel properly? Let's bring the text (scriptural passages - on the new covenant or new moon)

31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: 31:32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

31:34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

31:35 Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name: 31:36 If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever.

31:37 Thus saith the LORD; If heaven above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath, I will also cast off all the seed of Israel for all that they have done, saith the LORD.

31:38 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that the city shall be built to the LORD from the tower of Hananeel unto the gate of the corner.

31:39 And the measuring line shall yet go forth over against it upon the hill Gareb, and shall compass about to Goath.

31:40 And the whole valley of the dead bodies, and of the ashes, and all the fields unto the brook of Kidron, unto the corner of the horse gate toward the east, shall be holy unto the LORD; it shall not be plucked up, nor thrown down any more for ever.

Notes: Jewish Virtual library
                          New Covenant - Wikipedia and, The Cambridge History of Judaism 2 part

The Jewish view of the mere wording "new covenant" is no more than a renewed national commitment to abide by God's laws. In this view, the word new does not refer to a new commitment that replaces a previous one, but rather to an additional and greater level of commitment.

and 2nd, In his 1962 work The Prophets Abraham Joshua Heschel points out that prophecy is not the only instrument of God to change the hearts of Israel, to know that he is God. He tells how the prophet Jeremiah complains that Israel is circumcised in body but "uncircumcised in heart" (9:26), that Jeremiah says "wash your heart from wickedness" (4:14). Heschel analyses that, while the prophet can only give Israel a new word, it is God himself who will give man a new heart: The "new covenant" will accomplish the complete transformation of every individual.[22]

Compare with:

"19 And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them a heart of flesh; 20 that they may walk in My statutes, and keep Mine ordinances, and do them; and they shall be My people, and I will be their God."
                          —Ezekiel 11:19–20

"26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you; and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you a heart of flesh. 27 And I will put My spirit within you, and cause you to walk in My statutes, and ye shall keep Mine ordinances, and do them. 28 And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be My people, and I will be your God. 29 And I will save you from all your uncleannesses; and I will call for the corn, and will increase it, and lay no famine upon you. 30 And I will multiply the fruit of the tree, and the increase of the field, that ye may receive no more the reproach of famine among the nations. 31 Then shall ye remember your evil ways, and your doings that were not good; and ye shall loathe yourselves in your own sight for your iniquities and for your abominations. 32 Not for your sake do I this, saith the Lord GOD, be it known unto you; be ashamed and confounded for your ways, O house of Israel."
                          —Ezekiel 36:26-32
                          Last edited by mitzi; 08-11-2014, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Again, the covenant remains. Each generation from the time of Genesis gave strength to the promise until Mary finally announces "He has helped his servant Israel,
                            remembering to be merciful 55 to Abraham and his descendants forever, just as he promised our ancestors.” to Zechariah, "“Praise be to the Lord, the God of Israel, because he has come to his people and redeemed them. 69 He has raised up a horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David 70 (as he said through his holy prophets of long ago),71 salvation from our enemies and from the hand of all who hate us—72 to show mercy to our ancestors and to remember his holy covenant, 73. the oath he swore to our father Abraham:

Comment

It can be argued that the Covenant with Abraham remains - but that pre-dates the Covenant through Moses. The "Old Covenant" that is replaced with the New is the Covenant with Moses, not the Covenant with Abraham. Moreover, the Covenant with Abraham was undertaken with an individual, not with a nation.
                              Last edited by tabibito; 08-11-2014, 07:50 AM.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Are you sure the whole world?
                                It is a logical assumption - "all mankind" is the intended recipient of the benefits of the New Covenant. It is of course possible that the founding disciples didn't understand it in those terms.

As to why Israel would be the chosen people?
                                Israel was descendent of Abraham ... and indirectly recipient of the covenant with Abraham, as also are the nations in terms of the new covenant ... one point at which the covenant did indeed evolve, if you want to see it in such terms.

Any idea that God would substantially change a covenant without announcing and detailing the changes together with the reasons IN ADVANCE contradicts the way he declared that things would be done.
                                Last edited by tabibito; 08-11-2014, 07:43 AM.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment