Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christians and the Status Quo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christians and the Status Quo

In the past few months, I have had conversations with Christians (who are mature in their faith) about changing the status quo in my life. Specifically, how to put as much effort into serving God as I do to my secular job. I am tired of putting so much effort into creating wood, hay, and stubble.

However each time the answer (without much discussion) comes back, maintain the status quo.

What is going on that Christians don't want to help other Christians live a life more devoted to serving God.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

What specific areas about serving God would you want to see changed in your life?

Comment

Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
      What specific areas about serving God would you want to see changed in your life?
      I'm not sure where God is calling me to. I want some help to discern it.

I need encouragement to stop putting so much effort into my secular job that I can work for God. I come home from work exhausted most days.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

I think we as Christians need a stronger theology of vocation. I take for granted that whatever we do should be for the greater glory of God, and where vocation fits into that scheme is an issue worthy of larger discussion. Of course, I don't have the answers...
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Even when Paul went around bringing the Good News, he worked on making tents.
          The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

TM isn't discussing quitting work altogether. He's looking for a balance.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Have you thought about the possible intersections of your occupation and serving God?
              Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                TM isn't discussing quitting work altogether. He's looking for a balance.
                Thanks for understanding. Out of balance is a good way to put it.

Comment

Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father. (Col. 3:17).

I would hesitate to even define work as "secular" because for the Christian, all of life, including work, is interconnected with our life in Christ. The larger context of the verse speaks of "putting on the new self" and indeed we should continuously be striving to "be" rather than "do", because once we are being like Christ, the doing naturally follows.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Not to derail, but I understand the sort of frustration with wanting to do more. My job is what you might consider a dead end job, which I have been stuck in for the last four years. I am limited in what I can do to reach others for the better but the best I can do is keep my eyes open for opportunities to do even little things that may make a positive difference for others. And it's frustrating that at times, that's as much as there is.

(I recently read a theology book that at one point addresses dead end/menial jobs and states that there is still Christian value in doing these to the best of one's abilities, and I found that very comforting. Of course, there is more to the Christian life than vocation, but I think vocation plays a larger part of it than many of us give it credit for.)

Comment

Not to derail, but I understand the sort of frustration with wanting to do more. My job is what you might consider a dead end job, which I have been stuck in for the last four years. I am limited in what I can do to reach others for the better but the best I can do is keep my eyes open for opportunities to do even little things that may make a positive difference for others. And it's frustrating that at times, that's as much as there is.
                      I sort of get it. You get more in touch with all that God has done for you, who He is in all His glory, and you feel stuck in a passive ministry instead of active ministry. You want to live a life sold out to God but just can't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                        I sort of get it. You get more in touch with all that God has done for you, who He is in all His glory, and you feel stuck in a passive ministry instead of active ministry. You want to live a life sold out to God but just can't do it.
                        Of course, it doesn't mean that I'm not doing exactly what God wants me to do... but perhaps I'm just selfishly hoping for something more exciting.

Then again, Corrie ten Boom was living a very normal life before suddenly being thrust into very dangerous, intense service for God.
                        Last edited by KingsGambit; 08-02-2014, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Of course, it doesn't mean that I'm not doing exactly what God wants me to do... but perhaps I'm just selfishly hoping for something more exciting.

Then again, Corrie ten Boom was living a very normal life before suddenly being thrust into very dangerous, intense service for God.
                          I personally find exciting over rated. I think I'm looking for a better connection between what I do and serving God. I'm not a big fan of lifestyle evangelism (having met only 5 or so Christians that actually practiced it successfully) so this do your job as on to the Lord is more a standard for my behavior than being in His service. I suppose they maybe the same thing. I'm sorry but I do my job, I usually do it well and at least in a somewhat Christ like fashion, but I still feel at the end of the day I'm just staring at a pile of wood, hay, and stubble.

Second, does our setting up examples like Corrie ten Boom just set us up for discouragement? I don't face the kind of really hostile environment she did so how could I possibly serve Him like she did? I can't. She may speak to those in a hostile situation but really what can she say to a white, middleclass bureaucrat?

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                            I personally find exciting over rated. I think I'm looking for a better connection between what I do and serving God. I'm not a big fan of lifestyle evangelism (having met only 5 or so Christians that actually practiced it successfully) so this do your job as on to the Lord is more a standard for my behavior than being in His service. I suppose they maybe the same thing. I'm sorry but I do my job, I usually do it well and at least in a somewhat Christ like fashion, but I still feel at the end of the day I'm just staring at a pile of wood, hay, and stubble.

Second, does our setting up examples like Corrie ten Boom just set us up for discouragement? I don't face the kind of really hostile environment she did so how could I possibly serve Him like she did? I can't. She may speak to those in a hostile situation but really what can she say to a white, middleclass bureaucrat?
                            How about support Medibank! We've had it Oz for about 40 years and it hasn't sent us broke. Imu, Christianity is about emulating Christ and complaints about not having the ability to buy the latest playstation, ipad or whatever don't fit the paradigm, whilst people go hungry, homeless and without medical care...

Comment

I have been reviewing the response I've received. I appreciate everyone's input as its obvious to me that each was meant for my benefit.

Yet I don't feel I've gotten a good answer to my OP: "What is going on that Christians don't want to help other Christians live a life more devoted to serving God?" Maybe put another way, "When did Christians become reluctant to become deeply involved in other people's, especially fellow Christians, lives?"

Comment