Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Dark Friendships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Friendships

In light of 2Cor. 6:14-15:

"Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness? Or what harmony has Christ with Belial, or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever?"

Is it disobedient to cultivate close friendships with unbelievers? Didn't Jesus dine and drink with sinners? How do we navigate this?

The context refers to church fellowship with heretics (not marriage as people normally say) and I think making this apply to friendships would be abusing this particular verse.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      The context refers to church fellowship with heretics (not marriage as people normally say) and I think making this apply to friendships would be abusing this particular verse.
      "Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness? Or what harmony has Christ with Belial, or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever?"

I understand the context and book as a whole was a response to false apostle's, yet you seem to be defining "unbeliever" as "heretic", where is warrant for that? I imagine if this verse was just confined to the false teacher's/apostle's Paul would have stated as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
        In light of 2Cor. 6:14-15:

Is it disobedient to cultivate close friendships with unbelievers? Didn't Jesus dine and drink with sinners? How do we navigate this?
        Jesus ate with sinners, yes, but not because he needed their friendship. He was there to minister.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
          Didn't Jesus dine and drink with sinners? How do we navigate this?
          Can you look at the passages in the NT where Jesus associated with sinners and believe that He was cultivating close friendships? Only if you are dishonest.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Yes, but Jesus was friends with Judas, who was not an authentic believer (and who was stealing from the money supply). In fact, Jesus loved Judas and had him in his innermost circle. I simply don't see a biblical warrant against friendships with unbelievers. It seems the way this thread is heading we seem to be differentiating between acquaintance and friend in a way that I don't know if the writers of Scripture would have. It also seems to lead to strange real world issues. What constitutes a friend? Going to a dinner party with them (1 Corinthians 10:27) doesn't, but some other arbitrary distinction does?

As for Paul not being clear enough: As Craig Blomberg points out, 1 Corinthians was written in a manner where the Corinthians asked Paul a list of questions and Paul responded to them in order. Therefore, the context for everything was probably far clearer for the original hearers than it was for us so it may be unfair for us to ask Paul to be "clearer".
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I think it might be good to define "friendships", as there are vast degrees of... I have had "friends" at work that are nowhere near as close as the "friends" at Church.

We are to be IN this world, but not OF this world... I'm not "yoked" to my friends at my former work to the degree that I am "yoked" with my friends at Church.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Dark friendships...you make it sound as if unbelievers consort with demons of the stygian abyss or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
                  Dark friendships...you make it sound as if unbelievers consort with demons of the stygian abyss or something.
                  Unbelievers have a totally different attitude, worldview and outlook on life. Of course it's not impossible to have unbelieving friends, but I always notice a definite difference in so many ways (I also live in a bad part of LA, so this is probably magnified). I can see where it could become infectious.

And as to the OP; it was Jesus. I doubt the worldview of those around him could warp his worldview. It would have been the complete opposite. Jesus' worldview was infectious to them.
                  Last edited by seanD; 07-08-2014, 05:44 PM. Reason: grammar clarity

Comment

How about a Christian man asking a woman he does not know for a date? He does not ask, "Are you Christian?"
                    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

I consider all my friends and everyone I meet as potential Christians or quite possibly better human beings than me. I've never worried about friends endangering my faith, but maybe that's because I'm an old guy who's studied and learned a whole lot of stuff from a lot of people in my life, none of which ever seemed dangerous to me. I think we are called to be friends with sinners in the same way as Jesus was and is a friend of sinners. St Thomas Aquinas considered friendship to be the highest form of love, even love of God.
                      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                        How about a Christian man asking a woman he does not know for a date? He does not ask, "Are you Christian?"
                        Besides a few other exceptions unless he meets her in church or TWEB he should avoid doing such a thing. Asking a chick one totally doesn't know out on a date spells trouble. What reason could there be for a guy to do this unless she was hot and/or loaded with cash?

Comment

If he's in a Christian area, he may just be wanting to take a chance.

Comment

Yes, but Jesus was friends with Judas, who was not an authentic believer (and who was stealing from the money supply). In fact, Jesus loved Judas and had him in his innermost circle. I simply don't see a biblical warrant against friendships with unbelievers. It seems the way this thread is heading we seem to be differentiating between acquaintance and friend in a way that I don't know if the writers of Scripture would have. It also seems to lead to strange real world issues. What constitutes a friend? Going to a dinner party with them (1 Corinthians 10:27) doesn't, but some other arbitrary distinction does?

As for Paul not being clear enough: As Craig Blomberg points out, 1 Corinthians was written in a manner where the Corinthians asked Paul a list of questions and Paul responded to them in order. Therefore, the context for everything was probably far clearer for the original hearers than it was for us so it may be unfair for us to ask Paul to be "clearer".
                            Judas had a role to play, plus he did feign belief. Still I did not say any thing about not allowing unbelieving friends. How else can you share Christ? The point is cultivating unbelievers just as close friends with an assumption of some sort of equality.

My post specifically addressed Scrawly's attempt to create a division. He quite normally does that, asking phoney questions to create argument.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

These are some good points but wasn't Judas destined for the fall, and so was serving a purpose? The dinner party verse is good, but once again, I don't know if close friendship is in view here. Close friendship with unbelievers does certainly seem to be in view in 2Cor. 6:14-15.

Right, but I think, once again, Paul is pretty clear in 2Cor. 6: 14-15..unless you want to maintain that the unbelievers there are defined as merely the false teachers...I don't see it though.

Comment