Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Controversy on Christianity Today's website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moses didn't set up a king. You are just truly ignorant of what you criticize.

Comment

• Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
      Moses didn't set up a king. You are just truly ignorant of what you criticize.
      Moses made provision in his ordinances for a King to be established (Deut 17) !!! You are just truly ignorant of scripture and what you criticize!!!!!!
      Last edited by apostoli; 06-24-2014, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by apostoli View Post
        Very true = vs21. But notice what happens afterwards...

In any case the fact remains that the text (vs20) in the original Hebrew, has it that the King and YHWH were worshiped equivalently.
        No, that's you reading into the text. They were both worshiped. That's all it says. The context (vv. 20a, 21, and 22) mentioning only God shows your interpretation is off-base.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Moses made provision in his ordinances for a King to be established (Deut 17) !!! You are just truly ignorant of scripture and what you criticize!!!!!!
          Which is not at all the same thing as setting up a king.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

So you deny the explicit statement of scripture (1Ch 29:20) that David was worshiped in equivalence to God?

Already responded to you here in Post #10 but you still regurgitate the same old puke.

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...inism-amp-Paul

1. and seat two worthless men before him, and let them testify against him, saying, 'You cursed God and the king.' Then take him out and stone him to death. (1 Kings 21:10, NASB)

Cursing God exceeds in evil to that of cursing the king.

2. My son, fear the LORD and the king; Do not associate with those who are given to change (Proverbs 24:21, NASB)

One's fear of God ought to exceed one's fear of the king.
            Last edited by foudroyant; 06-24-2014, 09:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              No, that's you reading into the text. They were both worshiped. That's all it says. The context (vv. 20a, 21, and 22) mentioning only God shows your interpretation is off-base.
              Put away your presupposed prejudice and read what was written in the original Hebrew. One word is used to describe what occored in respect of YHWH and David. The literal reading, is that David and YHWH were worshiped in equivalence. No ifs or buts about it, if you hold to sola fide...

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Which is not at all the same thing as setting up a king.
                The Israelites had no necessity for a king. In scripture it states that YHWH was their King, Moses, the judges etc were mere functionaries...and given their corruption were totally ignorable...

Comment

• Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
                  Already responded to you here in Post #10 but you still regurgitate the same old puke.
                  Interesting. You assume the inspired scriptures are puke...

Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
                  1. and seat two worthless men before him, and let them testify against him, saying, 'You cursed God and the king.' Then take him out and stone him to death. (1 Kings 21:10, NASB)

Cursing God exceeds in evil to that of cursing the king.

2. My son, fear the LORD and the king; Do not associate with those who are given to change (Proverbs 24:21, NASB)

One's fear of God ought to exceed one's fear of the king.
                  I have no objection to your two cites. However, the reality was/is that the king could kill you at his will...Which in all probability is why the people worshiped the King (cp. Deut 32:39).

Comment

Interesting. You assume the inspired scriptures are puke...

I have no objection to your two cites. However, the reality was/is that the king could kill you at his will...Which in all probability is why the people worshiped the King (cp. Deut 32:39).
                    No, your twisted views concerning the Bible are puke.
                    They did not worship the king in equivalence to God. You asserted it was in equivalence (Post #190). This is false.

Comment

• Apostoli, I don't really understand what connection this has with the previous discussion, other than showing that you consider David a false prophet as well as Moses. Besides the New Testament, it is not clear to me what parts of the Bible you actually claim to believe.

Comment

Apostoli, I don't really understand what connection this has with the previous discussion, other than showing that you consider David a false prophet as well as Moses. Besides the New Testament, it is not clear to me what parts of the Bible you actually claim to believe.

That's because his heresy is a huge convoluted mess. It's so contorted I don't think he can even figure it out.
                        Last edited by foudroyant; 06-25-2014, 06:03 AM.

Comment

No, your twisted views concerning the Bible are puke.
                          They did not worship the king in equivalence to God. You asserted it was in equivalence (Post #190). This is false.
                          Read the text, preferably in the original Hebrew. What was granted to YHWH
                          (apart from the sacrafices) was granted to the King = they were both worshiped...no ifs or buts about it. That was how the text was written and how it is to be read...

Comment

• Already addressed in Points #1 and #2 in Post #200.

Comment

Apostoli, I don't really understand what connection this has with the previous discussion, other than showing that you consider David a false prophet as well as Moses
                              I don't consider Moses or David as false prophets!

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                              Besides the New Testament, it is not clear to me what parts of the Bible you actually claim to believe.
                              I believe it all within its context!

Comment

That's because his heresy is a huge convoluted mess. It's so contorted I don't think he can even figure it out.
                                Try reading scripture instead of your cult's pamplets and you'll easily figure out my viewpoint. My opinion is within the realms of mainstream theology...yours is any ones guess..

Comment