Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Controversy on Christianity Today's website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controversy on Christianity Today's website

Christianity Today's website published an article from the perspective of a former youth minister who had been arrested for having an affair with one of the youths under his leadership. This sparked an online uproar because the article implied consent (which is not legally possible between minors and adults, and certainly should not be presumed given the power differential here.) Another controversial aspect of the article was that it focused on the guilt/effects on the offender and did not go into the effects this sort of thing has on the victim.

After the backlash, CT ended up taking down the article and published a written apology (which does contain a link to an archived copy of the original article).

http://www.christianitytoday.com/le/....html#comments
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

The retards at Christianity Today deleted the article, so unless someone can find a full copy (wayback machine doesn't have anything past the first page as far as I can tell) there's not much to discuss. What was the age of the girl?
    Last edited by Darth Executor; 06-14-2014, 01:26 AM.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

No idea on the age
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The idea that teenagers can't consent to sex is stupid.

Comment

I read the whole thing earlier, but all I can find now (besides that first page on Wayback Machine) are these two screenshots.

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
          She was his student. The ex-pastor not only committed adultery, but also severely abused his position of power. To complain about the age of consent is to utterly miss the point.
          Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Sure. Many states, including my own, allow teenagers to have sex with each other. The issue isn't whether they can consent to sex, but sex with an adult who is furthermore in a position of authority over them. This is a concern even for adults. People tend to have crushes on doctors and teachers. The feeling is that this isn't free consent, but that the situation is tending to push them into something they're likely to regret. Further, with people who have authority, there is the issue of whether they really feel free to say no.

We trust adults to sort these issues out in most situations, though boss / employee sex can be a legal problem, and many professions have ethical codes. But between a teenager and an adult, the feeling is that kids may not yet be able to say no, and it's better to protect them from it. I agree with that.

There have been some ill-considered prosecutions involving kids. But a youth pastor with a person under the age of consent isn't something I'd defend.
            Last edited by hedrick; 06-14-2014, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hedrick View Post
              Sure. Many states, including my own, allow teenagers to have sex with each other. The issue isn't whether they can consent to sex, but sex with an adult who is furthermore in a position of authority over them. This is a concern even for adults. People tend to have crushes on doctors and teachers. The feeling is that this isn't free consent, but that the situation is tending to push them into something they're likely to regret. Further, with people who have authority, there is the issue of whether they really feel free to say no.

We trust adults to sort these issues out in most situations, though boss / employee sex can be a legal problem, and many professions have ethical codes. But between a teenager and an adult, the feeling is that kids may not yet be able to say no, and it's better to protect them from it. I agree with that.

There have been some ill-considered prosecutions involving kids. But a youth pastor with a person under the age of consent isn't something I'd defend.
              Yeah, that. And because the ex-pastor's article was so one-sided in its perspective (AKA: entirely on himself), we don't know what the girl herself has undergone after that--there are so many stories of youths in these cases experiencing severe psychological trauma and confusion and depression. The ex-pastor made her seem more like an object of temptation than a person who he was supposed to spiritually instruct and protect.
              Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                She was his student. The ex-pastor not only committed adultery, but also severely abused his position of power. To complain about the age of consent is to utterly miss the point.
                Not really. Most commentators are complaining about pedophilia and rape. Some have explicitly minimized the adultery part in favor of the "sexual abuse" and "pedophilia" angle.

we don't know what the girl herself has undergone after that--there are so many stories of youths in these cases experiencing severe psychological trauma and confusion and depression.
                In the Old Testament they'd have both been executed. Confusion and depression is getting off pretty easy.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  Not really. Most commentators are complaining about pedophilia and rape. Some have explicitly minimized the adultery part in favor of the "sexual abuse" and "pedophilia" angle.

In the Old Testament they'd have both been executed. Confusion and depression is getting off pretty easy.
                  But you do not believe that they should be executed today, right? If I remember correctly, you disagree with Obsidian that convicted homosexuals should be stoned to death and that adulterers should also be killed, 'though I'm not sure of his preferred method of execution for adulterers.
                  Last edited by robrecht; 06-14-2014, 10:34 AM.
                  βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                  ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Interesting --- the "Editorial Note" has a link to the archive, which appears to be SIX PAGES, but the hyperlink at the bottom of "Page 1 of 6" -- the ONLY page -- takes you to the comments, which have been closed til Monday.

Meanwhile, in case it disappears, here's "page 1 of 6":
                    Source: Christianity Today

Seven years ago I was hired by my church to be the new youth minister. The youth group was on life support at the time, with only a few students involved. My wife and I, newly married, already had good relationships with the students and their parents and, with my college ministry experience, I seemed to be the perfect fit for the position.

The ministry grew steadily. Within a few years the group that once struggled to fill a minivan was taking over 40 students to camp every summer. Teens were involved in every area of our church. The students were participating in local, regional, and international missions, and were inviting their friends to our activities. The gospel was being taught, and students were accepting Christ, getting baptized, and serving.

Other youth ministers, wanting to experience the same growth in their groups, would ask me for tips on how to reach and connect with students. The growth of the youth group was so significant that our church was pursuing the purchase of a bus and considering plans to expand the facility and build a gym. We had outgrown our own building. I had no doubt that God had called me to the position and that he had even greater things in store for the ministry and for me.

© Copyright Original Source

Also, in the "Editorial Note" is this comment:
                    Source: Editorial Note

First, the intent of this article was to serve as a cautionary story for church leaders and to prevent future abuse. According to Richard Hammar, a leading expert specializing in legal and tax issues for churches and clergy, sexual abuse is the number one reason churches end up in court. Cases involving youth leaders abusing students are particularly common and this piece was meant to draw attention to this tragic problem. We simply can't deny the pervasiveness of this problem or the deep and lasting wounds instances of abuse leave on the lives of victims.

© Copyright Original Source

The "Youth Pastor" starts by pretty much bragging that he built a large youth ministry from a very small one -- pride.

The BIG QUESTION I have is --- where was this guy's PASTOR?!?!?! There seemed to be no accountability. Both when I was youth pastor, and when I became senior pastor and I HIRE youth pastors - a HUGE factor is accountability, because it STANDS TO REASON that there will be temptations and opportunities for crisis.

The CHURCH LEADERSHIP also failed by not properly supervising this guy.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I do think that pride and lust tend to go together for some reason, but you cannot prove pride just from that quote.

Also, we don't have any reason to think that he was unsupervised.

Comment

I do think that pride and lust tend to go together for some reason, but you cannot prove pride just from that quote.
                        I think it's pretty obvious.

Yeah, we do.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What youth minister would attempt an illegal affair with an underage girl in full view of others?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            What youth minister would attempt an illegal affair with an underage girl in full view of others?
                            Yeah, there's the accountability factor -- and the buck stops at the top. The Pastor is ultimately responsible for the training and conduct of his staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              I think it's pretty obvious.
                              I don't. It's not pride to say you built a large and successful youth ministry when... you did build a large youth ministry. Particularly since the article appears to be a cautionary tale on how someone who was successful and doing everything right still ends up failing. Some of the shrieks in the comments complained that the guy apparently compared himself to King David, and I think King David is a pretty good example of this.

Comment