Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Controversy on Christianity Today's website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are very rare circumstances that will naturally produce an XY female or an XX male. It only takes for a single (or is it two?) genes to not trigger when they should, or to trigger when they shouldn't, to produce a person of gender that doesn't conform to what would be expected from the relevant chromosomes. So - an XY female who also for weird reasons became (not theoretically impossible) self fertilising might produce a male child. Also - an XX female who became self fertilising could only produce an XX offspring, but if the relevant genes misfired, you would have a male child.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• If Wikipedia is right, an XY female couldn't have had a child, and an XX male still has genes from the father's Y chromosome.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
        Can you affirm that God "tweaking the natural order" so to speak, would result in the second person of the Trinity becoming a man?
        A.John tells us the Son was sent. He didn't come of his own volition...

So, just as A.Paul declares that God (the Father) raised Jesus from the dead, I see no reason why God (the Father) did not intervene in Mary's conception of God (the Father's) pre-existent Son... To me mitosis is a satisfactory biological explanation, but in Japanese experiments the spontaneous conception only produced females. So to have a male born of spontaneous conception is miraculous...
        Last edited by apostoli; 07-06-2014, 11:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedrick View Post
          Huh? Where would the Y chromosome come from?
          Read some books on biology. In Mosaicism and Chimerism, both rare conditions, a human being can carry both an X and Y chromosome that are independent of each other. A decade or so ago in the scientific press it was reported an Indian hermaphrodite virgin was found to have conceived. Scientifically, the question was "How?".

It is not a big deal. Even the Quran acknowledges Jesus' (Isa's) miraculous conception in Mary (Miriam).

Comment

• Tweaking the natural order to cause Mary to have a child through mitosis, parthenogenesis or whatever would presumably be a miracle - though if the story from India is correct, perhaps not. However, that would not result in the condition of the Word having become flesh. It would simply be a miraculous pregnancy.
            Also from America a couple of years back there is an (unconfirmed) story of a stripper who was a virgin becoming pregnant by very ordinary means to a customer. She was still a virgin after she fell pregnant. I wouldn't be placing any credence on the idea that Mary's pregnancy arose from like circumstances.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
              Tweaking the natural order to cause Mary to have a child through mitosis, parthenogenesis or whatever would presumably be a miracle - though if the story from India is correct, perhaps not. However, that would not result in the condition of the Word having become flesh. It would simply be a miraculous pregnancy.
              Also from America a couple of years back there is an (unconfirmed) story of a stripper who was a virgin becoming pregnant by very ordinary means to a customer. She was still a virgin after she fell pregnant. I wouldn't be placing any credence on the idea that Mary's pregnancy arose from like circumstances.
              Just as a (i think funny) aside: When my then wife was pregnant with our third son, I drove her to the gynecologist and me and my other two sons waited in the car. She eventually came back, fully astounded! Apparently, the patient before her had questioned the doctor how it was possible that she was pregnant, for she had not asked Allah for a child. Believe it or not, but a true story...

All the above aside, my original point was that the Son was not incarnated by his own volition, according to A.John he was sent, which implies there was intervention by his Father...
              Last edited by apostoli; 07-07-2014, 03:28 AM.

Comment