Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Controversy on Christianity Today's website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
    Titus 3:10

People, he is all yours.

Moving on......
    Do you also believe that all adulterers should be executed? Do you know of many Christian churches that advocate for making this law?
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
      Titus 3:10

People, he is all yours. Moving on......
      Fascinating! Given you demote Moses, and by implication reject Jesus as the ultimate spokesman of God! For in my theology both are the spokesmen of God (Deut 18:15-19) not mere prohets who have to interpret their visions and dreams (cp Num 12), and whose interpretation has to be tested (cp Deut 18:22). For the scriptures tell us that God spoke directly and plainly to Moses, and that Jesus did and spoke whatever his Father had taught him...

In your verse mining it would have been beneficial if you had read and taken to heart Titus 3:1-10...As you are apparently loathe to read scripture I'll cite it for you...

"do whatever is good, slander no one, be peaceable and considerate, and always be gentle toward everyone...avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless. Warn a divisive person once, and then warn them a second time. After that, have nothing to do with them." (NIV).

My opinion is not divisive, it is firmly established in mainstream theology which is cohesive. Your perspective is unique to you or whatever cult you adhere to...you certainly appear to reject orthodox Christianity...so given you have nothing to contribute, and you have not contributed to the discussion/s other than throwing around ignorant juvenile slander, one part of me is glad you are departing...another part of me fears for your soul. But as you have chosen to reject the explicit statements of scripture, it is good you are departing. Now the rest of us can have a intelligent, bible based discussion...

Bye, Bye...

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht to foudroyant
        Do you also believe that all adulterers should be executed? Do you know of many Christian churches that advocate for making this law?
        Of more interest to me: Is there a single Christian denomination that advocates the prostitution of their daughters? Moses is depicted as having an ordinance that allowed such...

Comment

• Originally posted by apostoli View Post
          Of more interest to me: Is there a single Christian denomination that advocates the prostitution of their daughters? Moses is depicted as having an ordinance that allowed such...
          There was (and maybe still is) a group calling itself Christian that did so. 1970s/80s sometime is the last I remember hearing of them.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Yep - still is. "The Family International" not as thoroughly now as it was under its original name "Children of God", but still polyamoury remains a key platform. A similar group in China - "Eastern Lightning."
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Polygamy or prostitution or both?

Comment

• Both - particularly in the early years. Also sex with minors (now prohibited). Male homosexual relations prohibited, female bisexuality permitted. contraception either discouraged or prohibited (not sure which). Prostitution closed off when AIDS became an issue. Sex now limited to group members, with exceptions permitted for close friends.
                Beyond its existence, I don't know anything about Eastern Lightning (except that the name is derived from Matthew 24:27)
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Do they advocate stoning of all adulterers?

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                    Do they advocate stoning of all adulterers?
                    I sould think not. given under Moses' law only a woman could commit adultery. Men could screw anyone they want - abeilt, as long as they weren't already betrothed - out with the thrash goes King David,,,

Comment

I sould think not. given under Moses' law only a woman could commit adultery. Men could screw anyone they want - abeilt, as long as they weren't already betrothed - out with the thrash goes King David,,,
                      No. If a man an woman were caught committing adultery, both were to be stoned. Have you even read the Pentateuch!? I almost want to think that's a trollish response...
                      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Deuteronomy 22:23 “If a young woman who is a virgin is betrothed to a husband, and a man finds her in the city and lies with her, 24 “then you shall bring them both out to the gate of that city, and you shall stone them to death with stones, the young woman because she did not cry out in the city, and the man because he humbled his neighbor’s wife; so you shall put away the evil from among you. 25
                        “But if a man finds a betrothed young woman in the countryside, and the man forces her and lies with her, then only the man who lay with her shall die 26 “But you shall do nothing to the young woman; there is in the young woman no sin deserving of death, for just as when a man rises against his neighbor and kills him, even so is this matter.

Leviticus 20:10 The man who commits adultery with another man's wife, he who commits adultery with his neighbor's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress, shall surely be put to death.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                          No. If a man an woman were caught committing adultery, both were to be stoned. Have you even read the Pentateuch!? I almost want to think that's a trollish response...
                          Is David's statutory rape of Bathsheba, and his complicit murder of her husband to cover up her pregnancy, subject to the Mosses' laws, even though in scripture it is obvious, David is depicted as being totally ignorant of Moses' laws?
                          Last edited by apostoli; 07-04-2014, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Is David's statutory rape of Bathsheba, and his complicit murder of her husband to cover up her pregnancy, subject to the Mosses' laws
                            Yes
                            even though in scripture it is obvious, David is depicted as being totally ignorant of Moses' laws?
                            Where does that claim come from?
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• 2 Samuel 12:7 Then Nathan said to David .... 9 ‘Why have you despised the commandment of the LORD, to do evil in His sight? You have killed Uriah the Hittite with the sword; you have taken his wife to be your wife, and have killed him with the sword of the people of Ammon.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Are you saying, according to ancient Hebrew law, that a married man can have sex with an unmarried woman and it is not a crime of adultery? I have heard of that interpretation, which is based upon a wife being considered more or less the property of the husband.
                                Last edited by robrecht; 07-04-2014, 10:37 AM.

Comment