Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Q for married/engaged people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q for married/engaged people

How did the experience of dating your spouse differ from dating someone you did not end up deciding was the one?
    I am become death...

I didn't have a whole lot of "serious" romantic relationships before my wife, but one thing that set everything a part was a complete feeling of security and trust. I didn't have to live every minute on the edge or out of fear something would go wrong. When the inevitable problems would rise, I knew we could and would work through them. It was something I had never experienced before.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

And to point out a different experience:
      the whole time I was with my ex-spouse I could not trust him;even during the so called "reasonable" experience I constantly had to baby and take care of him, and listen to everything he said, wanted and thought of. Later It was consistently one-sided and while he reciprocated affection it was constantly attached to some kind of manipulative factor. I had external fears, pressures, I felt compelled and forced to do everything I was told to do, and it was horrible. There was a lot of and "you will do this or else...." I had not say so in the relationship.

Prior to my 2nd marriage it was equal we had mutual respect for one another, and a lot of love. We could ask each other for our needs/wants to be met and know that it was going to happen, even if we had to talk it through and it would be tough. We can trust each other completely. No matter how afraid I am or he is/was, we do not and did not berate each other and its hard and was hard but we have worked to see the other's perspective.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Anastasia Dragule View Post
        How did the experience of dating your spouse differ from dating someone you did not end up deciding was the one?
        I thought she was an interesting girl. She worked at the place where I worked -- she was a blueprint machine operator, and I was a technical writer. I asked her to lunch a couple of times within walking distance from where we worked.

The first time I went to her house to pick her up for a date, she wanted to show me her back yard. While we were standing on her back porch, I asked her about her faith situation, and it turns out she had been attending a Lutheran Church, but had never accepted Christ as Savior. I explained to her what that entailed, and asked her to think about it.

The next Sunday, I picked her up for Church, and she accepted Jesus as Savior.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

you have a lot of questions about marriage and stuff.
          you getting hitched soon?

Comment

The biggest difference for my wife and me was a growing emotional attachment that just felt different than previous relationships I had.
            βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
            ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Oh, and when my Mom met my soon-to-be wife, she (my Mom) said of my soon-to-be wife "That's the one".

'nuff said!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

There were many things that were different.

But one the one's that was interesting was that during previous relationships, although we had talked about marriage, I actually had anxiety about actually getting married to those people. In other words, I was fine talking about it, as long as marriage was in the distant future -- but the idea of getting married to those people at that time somewhat freaked me out.

On the other hand, with my wife, I was sincerely excited to get married to her. I had absolutely ZERO reservations.

Comment

Originally posted by Anastasia Dragule View Post
                  I've been married twice and engaged three times. I always gave 100% to the relationships I was in. It honestly wasn't that much different, except for my current wife. Unlike the other two, she and I were friends for years before we ever dated, so the foundation was much more solid. And it has lasted for 22 years, so I think we did something right!
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment