Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

women`s headcoverings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• women`s headcoverings

If 1st Cor 11 talks about women covering their heads when praying and stuff, why is it so rare? And should it be like that?
    I am become death...

Because it's understood to mean dress and act appropriately and respectfully while in prayer and worship instead of being a dress code.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I personally think it can be a very beautiful gesture by women during worship.

[IMG]609[/IMG]

[IMG]610[/IMG]

[IMG]611[/IMG]

*Edit are images broken? none of the pictures are showing.
      Last edited by Leonhard; 06-09-2014, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Try IMG tags.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I've seen suggestions that hair length was the issue, not coverings. That would fit Paul's comments better. But I suspect we'll have to wait until we can talk to those saints in Heaven. Just as bad as hearing only one side of a phone conversation.
          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
            I've seen suggestions that hair length was the issue, not coverings. That would fit Paul's comments better. But I suspect we'll have to wait until we can talk to those saints in Heaven. Just as bad as hearing only one side of a phone conversation.
            Indeed. High context, and we don't have the context. Culture thing? Seems like quite a few things Paul says are culture related.
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

The persecutors came in the dark and not in a public space. They needed help to identify people who preached Christianity. Jesus did not hide His identity. He intended to lay down His life. Unless a Seed falls, it cannot rise again.
              To hide would be disgracing the image of God. That is the reason He came, to show how God loved.

Luke 22:52Then Jesus said to the chief priests and officers of the temple and elders who had come against Him, “Have you come out with swords and clubs as you would against a robber? 53“While I was with you daily in the temple, you did not lay hands on Me; but this hour and the power of darkness are yours.”

Paul commanded the church to preach Christianity in their man woman roles. The men would lay down their lives by preaching Christianity, just as Christ layed down His life so that the Church, the bride would not have to lay down hers. Every time Christ taught, He was persecuted. God raised Him up to confirm the truth of the message. The church was strengthened by this sign from God.

The picture

The church submits
              Christ obeys god
              The world persecutes
              God raises up Christ
              The church is built up

A woman praying without a head covering does not convey this picture.

Ephesians 5:22Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body. 24But as the church is subject to Christ, so also the wives ought to be to their husbands in everything.
              25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her, 26so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, 27that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless. 28So husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself; 29for no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ also does the church, 30because we are members of His body. 31FOR THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND SHALL BE JOINED TO HIS WIFE, AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH. 32This mystery is great; but I am speaking with reference to Christ and the church. 33Nevertheless, each individual among you also is to love his own wife even as himself, and the wife must see to it that she respects her husband.

1 Corinthians 11:2Now I praise you because you remember me in everything and hold firmly to the traditions, just as I delivered them to you. 3But I want you to understand that Christ is the head of every man, and the man is the head of a woman, and God is the head of Christ. 4Every man who has something on his head while praying or prophesying disgraces his head. 5But every woman who has her head uncovered while praying or prophesying disgraces her head, for she is one and the same as the woman whose head is shaved. 6For if a woman does not cover her head, let her also have her hair cut off; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, let her cover her head. 7For a man ought not to have his head covered, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. 8For man does not originate from woman, but woman from man; 9for indeed man was not created for the woman’s sake, but woman for the man’s sake. 10Therefore the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels. 11However, in the Lord, neither is woman independent of man, nor is man independent of woman. 12For as the woman originates from the man, so also the man has his birth through the woman; and all things originate from God. 13Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him, 15but if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her? For her hair is given to her for a covering. 16But if one is inclined to be contentious, we have no other practice, nor have the churches of God.
              Last edited by footwasher; 06-09-2014, 01:49 AM.

Comment

I don't have much to add, I'm just reposting to get the post to work properly. I think its a beautiful tradition that I wouldn't mind seeing more of in worship.

beautiful-nuns.jpg

a9bc335f66d8d229d5cef434b01b9e921-600x399.jpg

Rachels-veil-crop(pp_w311_h338).jpg
                Last edited by Leonhard; 06-09-2014, 08:16 AM.

Comment

". . . Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame* unto him?
                  But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for [her] hair is given her for a covering. . . ." -- 1 Corinthians 11: . . . 14, 15, . . .

The interpretation I see is the long hair on the woman is her covering. If she has her hair short, then it is not being a covering, then she should also be made bald.
                  " . . . For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. . . ." v.6

[. . . For this cause God gave them up unto vile* affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: . . . -- Romans 1:26.]
                  Last edited by 37818; 06-10-2014, 09:19 PM.
                  . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment