Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Biblical Reciprocity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biblical Reciprocity

What comes to mind? What is your first response to that phrase?

Then, thinking about it some more, what are some good examples?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Exodus 11-12 might come close.

Now the LORD said to Moses, “One more plague I will bring on Pharaoh and on Egypt; after that he will let you go from here. When he lets you go, he will surely drive you out from here completely. Speak now in the hearing of the people that each man ask from his neighbor and each woman from her neighbor for articles of silver and articles of gold.” (Exodus 11:1-2, NASB)
    Now the sons of Israel had done according to the word of Moses, for they had requested from the Egyptians articles of silver and articles of gold, and clothing; and the LORD had given the people favor in the sight of the Egyptians, so that they let them have their request. Thus they plundered the Egyptians. (Exodus 12:35-36)
    Note the word "plundered".
    When I Survey....

Comment

I'm thinking, maybe, about the times Jesus said things like (paraphrasing) 'if you don't forgive your brothers, God won't forgive you'.

The inverse of that, I'm posing, would be a form of reciprocity. I'm probably not using the right word.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And Jesus said to them, "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's." And they were amazed at Him. (Mark 12:17)
        When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
          So, how ya been?

Comment

Staying healthy, working full time at home on company computer. Listening to Christian music. Tuning to online church services from my own church and some guy in Texas. The Lord has been blessing tremendously.
            When I Survey....

Comment

I see some limits on it, because we are forbidden from taking revenge on other people.

The James passage mentioned above kind of illustrates how I see it - the biblical examples are used to remind us of how much we receive(d) from God to discourage us from being selfish us. When we think about how hard it is to forgive someone else, we think about how many times we've asked God to forgive *us* for the same sins, and that puts things into perspective. Jesus says "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". It's "as you would have", so we don't actually have any control over what other people do. All we can control is what we do.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                Staying healthy, working full time at home on company computer. Listening to Christian music. Tuning to online church services from my own church and some guy in Texas. The Lord has been blessing tremendously.
                I am happy for you. Wishing you well.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  I see some limits on it, because we are forbidden from taking revenge on other people.

The James passage mentioned above kind of illustrates how I see it - the biblical examples are used to remind us of how much we receive(d) from God to discourage us from being selfish us. When we think about how hard it is to forgive someone else, we think about how many times we've asked God to forgive *us* for the same sins, and that puts things into perspective. Jesus says "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". It's "as you would have", so we don't actually have any control over what other people do. All we can control is what we do.
                  I was referring to the Sermon on the Mount -
                  Scripture Verse: Matt 6:14-15

14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

© Copyright Original Source

It kind of reminds me of a mini-version of a covenant, where, Jesus is saying "if you do this, God will do this"... and, of course, the inverse.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I'm thinking, maybe, about the times Jesus said things like (paraphrasing) 'if you don't forgive your brothers, God won't forgive you'.

The inverse of that, I'm posing, would be a form of reciprocity. I'm probably not using the right word.
                    I was once told in a Bible study that if you do unto others as you expect them to do unto you, don't expect the others to do it.

Probably not what you're looking for but it's why I have a dim view of reciprocity.
                    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                      I was once told in a Bible study that if you do unto others as you expect them to do unto you, don't expect the others to do it.

Probably not what you're looking for but it's why I have a dim view of reciprocity.
                      That's how I feel. We are told how we are to act without regard for how others act, and if we want to complain about that, all we need to do is realize that we don't deserve eternal life yet still have it.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

It's just an open discussion, TM - something away from the ..... other stuff.

Comment

“Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” (Lk 6:37–38)

Lots of reciprocity!

Blessings,
                          Lee
                          "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                            “Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” (Lk 6:37–38)

Lots of reciprocity!

Blessings,
                            Lee
                            That's what I was thinking - like my post #3

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post

Lots of reciprocity!

Blessings,
                              Lee
                              So who is being reciprocated with? It can't be God since that looks to violate Romans 11:35, "Who has ever given to God, that God should repay him?" which is referring to Job 41:11, "Who has a claim against me that I must pay?..." I don't think anyone here is saying "I'll be so forgiving that God has to forgive me." So I don't think the reciprocate is God and man. I do think its legitimate to say, "God has forgiven me therefore I forgive." To me, that's a response and not an attempt to pay a debt back. I think this is best covered in the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant in Matthew 18:21-35 especially verses 32-33, "Then the master called the servant in. 'You wicked servant,' he said, 'I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. Shouldn't you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?'"

Therefore it must be between man and man. I think Jesus is saying be non-judgmental, uncondemning, merciful, etc. to others and you're reputation will get that response from them to you. Now, of course, others may not respond in kind but that's a different discussion.
                              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment