Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Persecution in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post

Interesting. Los Angeles County decided they would lose in court and did not want to have a court decision against their unconstitutional coronavirus activities.

It was much easier to declare GCC as a covid-19-free zone.

But yay for GCC
    Yeah, somebody commented on the FB post similarly.........."please don't sue us! We'll let you be!".

Of course, there's also the judgment against Newsom and other governors recently regarding their overstepping the Constitution to make laws by fiat. That might have also influenced the decision.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• As a Californian church-going wife of a music minister with relatives highly involved in other churches, I have been very concerned about the last of caution that some church-goers have had with regards to social distancing, masks, and the possibility of meeting outdoors. I assume that this attitude that some communities have had made it easier to target churches in general. It's part of my father-in-law returned to online attendance at his regular church.
      I am become death...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ana Dragule View Post
        As a Californian church-going wife of a music minister with relatives highly involved in other churches, I have been very concerned about the last of caution that some church-goers have had with regards to social distancing, masks, and the possibility of meeting outdoors. I assume that this attitude that some communities have had made it easier to target churches in general. It's part of my father-in-law returned to online attendance at his regular church.
        I think the important thing to remember is our humanity. We cannot stop living. However, there is reason that some people may want to be more cautious against the virus if they have multiple sickness conditions already. Some people may just feel like they need to be more protective of themselves for other reasons.

The other concern is that many other activities were not hindered ... and the rules have been arbitrary, such as limiting gatherings to 10 or 50 people even if a room can handle 1000 people. This has been used to keep churches closed or to make them meet outside in hot summer weather or low fall temperatures.
        Last edited by mikewhitney; 11-13-2020, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post

I think the important thing to remember is our humanity. We cannot stop living. However, there is reason that some people may want to be more cautious against the virus if they have multiple sickness conditions already. Some people may just feel like they need to be more protective of themselves for other reasons.

The other concern is that many other activities were not hindered ... and the rules have been arbitrary, such as limiting gatherings to 10 or 50 people even if a room can handle 1000 people. This has been used to keep churches closed or to make them meet outside in hot summer weather or low fall temperatures.
          I very much agree with you. I just know my in-laws were worried about people going up and masklessly hugging them at church. Given at least that there has been some measure of scientific evidence that people can reduce the spread of coronavirus by wearing masks and while I haven't looked into the degree of social distancing other than up to ~ 25 feet is a risk range, the lack of consideration of that recommendation that a small group has had does make it easier to for some to be like "Look at them, clearly they are a risk. Let's shut them all down." and get people to agree to it, at least at first. I'm speculating based on what I have seen. I do not know the level of compliance at the earlier mentioned church, though it sounds like it may have been better than some church communities that people I know have run into.
          I am become death...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ana Dragule View Post
            I very much agree with you. I just know my in-laws were worried about people going up and masklessly hugging them at church. Given at least that there has been some measure of scientific evidence that people can reduce the spread of coronavirus by wearing masks and while I haven't looked into the degree of social distancing other than up to ~ 25 feet is a risk range, the lack of consideration of that recommendation that a small group has had does make it easier to for some to be like "Look at them, clearly they are a risk. Let's shut them all down." and get people to agree to it, at least at first. I'm speculating based on what I have seen. I do not know the level of compliance at the earlier mentioned church, though it sounds like it may have been better than some church communities that people I know have run into.
            I'm not sure how much I agree to catering to hysteria. However, many church groups could have additional meetings for those more concerned that others wear masks. Supermarkets have often preserved the first hour of business for the senior citizens.

The situation for Grace Community Church has been with most people gathering in big crowds with maybe a minority wearing masks. Yet, there may be cautious people who just watch over the internet. People are to be given freedom. I shared elsewhere that about a half million life years have been lost to coronavirus while 7 million life years have been lost due to the side effects of the quarantines.

Comment

• Announced in church just now that LA county has brought out new restrictions on gatherings, with the exception of faith-based meetings or protests, because they are constitutionally protected. This has been upheld recently by the US Supreme Court.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                Announced in church just now that LA county has brought out new restrictions on gatherings, with the exception of faith-based meetings or protests, because they are constitutionally protected. This has been upheld recently by the US Supreme Court.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Source: Supreme Court blocks NY from enforcing Covid limits on churches

The court said the restrictions violate religious freedom and are not neutral because they “single out houses of worship."

The U.S. Supreme Court issued an injunction late Wednesday blocking New York’s governor from enforcing 10- and 25-person occupancy limits on religious institutions, granting a request from the Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn and Agudath Israel.

The state had told the court there was no need to act because the restrictions, which were adopted as a way to try to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, had recently been dialed back.

The court apparently divided 5-4, with Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan dissenting.

In an unsigned majority opinion, the court said the restrictions would violate religious freedom and are not neutral because they “single out houses of worship for especially harsh treatment.”

While religious institutions were affected, businesses categorized as essential could admit as many people as they wish, the court said, and the list of such businesses included acupuncture facilities and others the court said were not essential.

The court said there’s no evidence that the organizations that brought the lawsuit have contributed to the spread of Covid-19.

In his dissent, Roberts said he saw no need to take this action, because the state has revised the designations of the affected areas, and none of the houses of worship that sought relief now face numerical restrictions and can hold services up to 50 percent capacity.

Breyer said if the state seeks to reimpose the limits, the plaintiffs can come back to the court. Sotomayor and Kagan said granting the injunction “will only exacerbate the nation’s suffering.”

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Yes. I knew you had posted that. I just couldn't find it.

Comment

• Some problems with this decision still exist. This means that a state is in control of the church. All the state has to do is make it seem like there is an outbreak on the church grounds and then shutdown or restrict the church. This decision also seems to grant the ability to the state to declare who is (and which organizations) are essential and thus not restricted in any way. We had the California decision to stop Newsom from making new laws, but the order did not cancel out the earlier laws. The earlier laws gave the ability to declare that people should not gather more than 3 households together for Thanksgiving. This is as much a violation as the restrictions on the church gatherings.

Comment

• Did anybody see the video and pictures of the pope in Iraq today? The media was quite taken that he had gone to Iraq, even though "covid is a big risk". The pictures showed very little masking or distancing, and the crowds were huge, but the media was practically drooling over what a wonderful thing it is.

Where is the media outrage over this flaunting of the "law" by a religious leader?

Comment

• J-Mac is literally driving them insane.

Homeless as weapons. About the only thing left is to add dwarf-tossing, where they have the homeless pelt parishioners with "little people" as they arrive and leave.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                          J-Mac is literally driving them insane.

Homeless as weapons.
                          They would probably use that as an opportunity to reach and help the homeless.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                            J-Mac is literally driving them insane.

Homeless as weapons. About the only thing left is to add dwarf-tossing, where they have the homeless pelt parishioners with "little people" as they arrive and leave.
                            Hadn't heard that. How crazy!

Because, let's fight the virus by bringing masses of people together in a parking lot!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

They would probably use that as an opportunity to reach and help the homeless.
                              Thats exactly what John said, that they'd send the seminary students out to evangelize.

Just like he said if they arrested him that he' always wanted to start a prison ministry.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Thats exactly what John said, that they'd send the seminary students out to evangelize.

Just like he said if they arrested him that he' always wanted to start a prison ministry.

It reminds me of an old joke:

There was a little old lady who would come out every morning on the steps of her front porch, raise her arms to the sky and shout, "Praise the Lord!"

Well, one day an atheist moved into the house next door. Over time, he became irritated at the little old lady. So every morning he would step out onto his front porch and yell after her, "There is no God!"

Time passes with the two of them carrying on this way every day. Then one morning in the middle of winter, the little old lady stepped onto her front porch and shouted, "Praise the Lord! Lord, I have no food and I am hungry. Please provide for me, oh Lord!"

The next morning she stepped onto her porch and there were two huge bags of groceries sitting there. "Praise the Lord!" she cried out. "He has provided groceries for me!"

The atheist jumped out of the hedges and shouted, "There is no Lord. I bought those groceries!"

The little old lady threw her arms into the air and shouted, "Praise the Lord! He has provided me with groceries and He made the devil pay for them!"

Comment