Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Persecution in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Persecution in California

A week or so ago Governor Newsome declared churches in California to be non-essential.

This past Sunday, Grace Community Church held a morning service, as they have been doing since the beginning of the stay-at-home orders, albeit with very few people in the congregation during the 21 weeks they complied.

Then Newsome decided to close the churches.

People showed up on Sunday as they had not for those weeks previously.

The next day, Monday, this appeared on the church coffeehouse doors.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Next Sunday they should declare that they are gathering to protest since, as we were told, social justice is more important than social distancing.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Next Sunday they should declare that they are gathering to protest since, as we were told, social justice is more important than social distancing.
      I had said that actually, during the service, but the pastor specifically said in his message that they aren't protesting, but they are, really.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I really want to know how they can put "no hot water" as a reason for shutting it down. It's a coffeehouse. They need hot water, I'm pretty sure they have had hot water.

Unless the city was told to turn the hot water off..........

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          I really want to know how they can put "no hot water" as a reason for shutting it down. It's a coffeehouse. They need hot water, I'm pretty sure they have had hot water.

Unless the city was told to turn the hot water off..........
          It's possible that they are forcing a code violation requiring sufficient hot water to properly wash and sanitize utensils used in the "kitchen".
          Codes are funny, there are a few minor things that can trigger a "commercial" requirement", which is a whole different set of codes.

It's cowardly and underhanded, as it's obvious that it's only a cover for their war on churches.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            It's possible that they are forcing a code violation requiring sufficient hot water to properly wash and sanitize utensils used in the "kitchen".
            Codes are funny, there are a few minor things that can trigger a "commercial" requirement", which is a whole different set of codes.

It's cowardly and underhanded, as it's obvious that it's only a cover for their war on churches.
            On this, one of my sisters bakes cakes and cookies for sale. She got quite famous locally, and had a hard time keeping up with orders. She decided to buy a second oven, and went to a local appliance store. The owner knew of her cakes, and asked if he could give her some advice.

He proceeded to explain that the particular oven she was looking at was actually rated "commercial", and if she bought it, her whole kitchen would be 'coded' commercial, and she would not only have to comply with commercial regulations, but would have to bring the rest of her kitchen "up to code".

He was very helpful in showing her the appliances that would be "biggest bang for the buck", but still let her not be required to be a "commercial" kitchen.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

On this, one of my sisters bakes cakes and cookies for sale. She got quite famous locally, and had a hard time keeping up with orders. She decided to buy a second oven, and went to a local appliance store. The owner knew of her cakes, and asked if he could give her some advice.

He proceeded to explain that the particular oven she was looking at was actually rated "commercial", and if she bought it, her whole kitchen would be 'coded' commercial, and she would not only have to comply with commercial regulations, but would have to bring the rest of her kitchen "up to code".

He was very helpful in showing her the appliances that would be "biggest bang for the buck", but still let her not be required to be a "commercial" kitchen.
              Interesting. I know the laws regarding food prepared in a home kitchen for sale are pretty stringent.

I believe the coffeehouse at GCC has been in operation for quite some time, and I am fairly certain they would be extremely careful to make sure they have all their ducks in a row in order to run a cafe.

Comment

For me, this is another caution sign that Christians should be more wary of how they view the government. It's not our friend anymore.
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                  For me, this is another caution sign that Christians should be more wary of how they view the government. It's not our friend anymore.
                  Especially if the politician in charge has a "D" after his name.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

... And even then, they were usually the kind of parasitic, "friend," that expects a bunch of stuff from you and only phones in any reciprocation they're forced to do.
                    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

So far, Texas government is our friend. Our Governor, Lt Governor, Attorney General and several of our Texas legislators are working very hard to keep religious liberty at the forefront.

Comment

So far, Texas government is our friend. Our Governor, Lt Governor, Attorney General and several of our Texas legislators are working very hard to keep religious liberty at the forefront.
                        Pray, I mean literally, this doesn't change.

Californians leaving for Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Especially if the politician in charge has a "D" after his name.
                          Agreed. Unfortunately I think in the next few years it won't matter what's after the politician's name as Christians are ostracized from society.
                          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                            Pray, I mean literally, this doesn't change.

Californians leaving for Texas.
                            So many of those leaving California for Texas (or from the northeast to Florida) say they are doing so due to the crime, corruption and confiscatory taxes, but then immediately vote for those who policies are identical to the ones that brought about those problems in the first place.

What is it they say about insanity being repeating the same actions over and over expecting a different outcome?

Comment

trump needs to continue the wall up the border of California, Oregon, and Washington.

Comment