Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Persecution in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    I just don't think John grasps the depth and strength of the hostility being directed at him. The first century Christians were under the authority of Christ but still got persecuted and killed by the government. I hope the church leadership is talking about what to do when the building is seized. I get they won't say anything publicly about that nor should they.

Optics note: Fox didn't help John cause any by mentioning the lawyer is also working on the Trump reelection campaign. That just strengthens the public belief about the depth of the ties between Trump and Christians and the blowback is going to bad if Biden wins.
    A seizure of the church premises would be the most blatant violation of the freedom of worship. Hopefully Christians will come together in support of GCC.

It is possible that people will have a bad image of the church for not obeying the dictatorial edicts, but what are we supposed to do? just give up worship? There is a lot at stake here.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
      A seizure of the church premises would be the most blatant violation of the freedom of worship. Hopefully Christians will come together in support of GCC.

It is possible that people will have a bad image of the church for not obeying the dictatorial edicts, but what are we supposed to do? just give up worship? There is a lot at stake here.
      The world is so anti-Christ now that I don't see how it makes any difference to them. Hatred of God and Christians is already rampant, and a few churches going against public health edicts isn't going to cause truth-preaching churches to be hated any more than they already are.

But it certainly points, to thinking, reasonable people, to the hypocrisy of those liberal politicians who allow all sorts of vile behaviour while trying to shut down sanctuaries under a false premise of "public health".

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

But it certainly points, to thinking, reasonable people, to the hypocrisy of those liberal politicians who allow all sorts of vile behaviour while trying to shut down sanctuaries under a false premise of "public health".
        I heard of a presumably mythical island of reasonable, thinking people out in the South Pacific.

Comment

This today, from Don Green, a former attorney, former pastor at GCC, and former Director of Grace to You, the radio ministry, now a pastor of a church in another state.

It’s a real neat trick the County of Los Angeles is pulling on John MacArthur and Grace Community Church, my friends.

With their left hand, they have obtained a restraining order from the Superior Court that bans GCC’s indoor services in the name of “public health.”

“But we gladly allow you to meet outdoors!”

They posture themselves as benevolent rulers.

But see what they do with their right hand.

They are simultaneously terminating an agreement that takes away hundreds of parking spaces for which GCC has been making timely and substantial payments for 45 years.

Friends, those parking spaces are no threat to public health. So what is the justification for this action at this vulnerable time for GCC?
          Don’t miss it. Los Angeles County with judicial imprimatur takes away indoor services AND indispensable accommodations that make even limited outdoor services possible.

Friends, understand that there is surely more to come. Building codes, zoning ordinances, fines, and threats of imprisonments are only part of the unused arsenal at their disposal.

Jenna Ellis and the legal team have a difficult task ahead of them. This naked abuse of power, so obvious on its face, is being propped up in the courts.

Hello, Los Angeles Times? Will you please publish an unbiased report that puts all these facts together? Your local government, which you presumably hold accountable, is putting a pincer movement on a historic church to put it out of business.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I heard of a presumably mythical island of reasonable, thinking people out in the South Pacific.
            Yeah. I think it gets more and more mythical.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              This today, from Don Green, a former attorney, former pastor at GCC, and former Director of Grace to You, the radio ministry, now a pastor of a church in another state.

It’s a real neat trick the County of Los Angeles is pulling on John MacArthur and Grace Community Church, my friends.

With their left hand, they have obtained a restraining order from the Superior Court that bans GCC’s indoor services in the name of “public health.”

“But we gladly allow you to meet outdoors!”

They posture themselves as benevolent rulers.

But see what they do with their right hand.

They are simultaneously terminating an agreement that takes away hundreds of parking spaces for which GCC has been making timely and substantial payments for 45 years.

Friends, those parking spaces are no threat to public health. So what is the justification for this action at this vulnerable time for GCC?
              Don’t miss it. Los Angeles County with judicial imprimatur takes away indoor services AND indispensable accommodations that make even limited outdoor services possible.

Friends, understand that there is surely more to come. Building codes, zoning ordinances, fines, and threats of imprisonments are only part of the unused arsenal at their disposal.

Jenna Ellis and the legal team have a difficult task ahead of them. This naked abuse of power, so obvious on its face, is being propped up in the courts.

Hello, Los Angeles Times? Will you please publish an unbiased report that puts all these facts together? Your local government, which you presumably hold accountable, is putting a pincer movement on a historic church to put it out of business.
              The other thing that comes to mind is about having people meet outdoors now that the summer heat has come upon us. We have had many people skipping the outdoor meetings -- after enough drop of people when the indoor services were restarted.

Comment

The other thing that comes to mind is about having people meet outdoors now that the summer heat has come upon us. We have had many people skipping the outdoor meetings -- after enough drop of people when the indoor services were restarted.
                Yes. That was brought up a couple of weeks ago when the pastor commented during an interview (I think, it might have been, or during a service) that people can't sit outside in the heat in some parts of the country, and California was getting bad.

Comment

We interrupt this thread to bring you some breaking news from the Babylon Bee:

'Let My People Go To Church!' Bellows Bearded John MacArthur To Hard-Hearted Gavin Newsom

SACRAMENTO, CA—Pharaoh Gavin Newsom was lounging about at the Capitol Building, thinking about maybe going to the gym open just for government employees or maybe getting his hair perma-gelled, when the doors burst open and a fiery-eyed, bearded figure appeared before him: John MacArthur.

"Pharaoh Newsom! Let my people go... to church!" MacArthur, who had inexplicably grown a full, flowing beard, bellowed. "If you do not let my people go to church, I will release more plagues on the land. Darkness, fires, and earthquakes were just the beginning!" MacArthur, of course, clarified that any plagues he called down would simply be providential and not miraculous in any way.

The Pharaoh refused, and so, MacArthur threw his staff to the ground. But, not wanting to perform a modern-day miracle, MacArthur just let the staff sit there. The unimpressed Newsom hardened his heart even further and phoned up the city of Los Angeles to see if they could evict the church from any more parking spaces or just generally be a nuisance to allowing the church to meet.

Source: https://babylonbee.com/news/let-my-p...-gavin-newsom/

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

(And this whole time I was thinking of it as more like Nehemiah versus Sanballat.)
                  ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Right from John's mouth, the list of governmental demands that make holding church next to impossible if followed to the letter:

Calling the demands "unconstitutional" is an understatement. The demands are downright criminal.
                    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

• Any law created that is unconstitutional is void at the moment it is created.

If the state can declare a 6 month long medical emergency ( even though the governor cannot make edicts without legislators), it would violate the free exercise of religion whenever it felt like doing so. Certainly the state and city governments are acting against their delegated powers now.

Comment

• I wonder if the Walmarts in California have to have every other parking space blocked off.

Or if Walmart shoppers have to self-isolate for 2 weeks after spending more than 15 minutes in the store with people who are not their family.

These regulations for churches are a joke.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                          I wonder if the Walmarts in California have to have every other parking space blocked off.

Or if Walmart shoppers have to self-isolate for 2 weeks after spending more than 15 minutes in the store with people who are not their family.

These regulations for churches are a joke.
                          Hopefully the distinctions between Walmart and GCC requirements are sufficient to force the courts to concede.

I wonder if the loss of the parking lot would force people to car pool to get there. I'm sure that will help meet the silly social distancing rules.

What was the the portion of the attendees who were wearing masks?

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                            Hopefully the distinctions between Walmart and GCC requirements are sufficient to force the courts to concede.

I wonder if the loss of the parking lot would force people to car pool to get there. I'm sure that will help meet the silly social distancing rules.

What was the the portion of the attendees who were wearing masks?
                            I don't know. They didn't show the congregation at all this week, as they have in the past. In other services they have just done a look down the central aisle, which is a long one, showing how full the sanctuary is. Perhaps for the protection against prosecution of the folk attending? In previous weeks there have been some folks wearing masks, but not the majority by a long shot.

They have continued to not have the full choir of about 100 people. Twice, I think, in the past 6 weeks they've had a small group in the choir loft, spaced quite far apart. They also haven't had the full orchestra, which fills the stage, and have only had a small ensemble each week, either strings and woodwinds or brass.

Comment

• I noticed the orchestra followed social distancing but did not have masks -- as least the ones I saw. This was just in the videos posted here.

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                                I noticed the orchestra followed social distancing but did not have masks -- as least the ones I saw. This was just in the videos posted here.
                                Yes, they have been spaced well. But I expect masks would have been a hindrance with the woodwinds, and the brass when they are on stage. And even the violinists would have problems with a mask.

And, the ensembles have been on stage since fairly early, even in the lockdown. They weren't there at the very beginning, but I think about 2 months in they started to have the ensembles on the platform.

Comment