Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Persecution in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    The church is still waiting for a decision from the judge.

But, this, today.

https://disrn.com/news/la-county-fin...9o7l6yDwy0f7y0

Last Updated Sep 9th, 2020 at 12:43 pm
    In ongoing efforts to halt indoor worship services at Grace Community Church, Los Angeles County has reportedly handed Pastor John MacArthur's church a $1,000 fine for violating a signage ordinance.

Grace Church posted attention-getting signs outside its sanctuary that read in part:

"Please do not enter if you have an elevated temperature, a cough, or any flu-like symptoms."
    But according to county inspectors, the signs were not properly placed at both the front and back entrances to the building, nor did they instruct congregants to wash their hands, sanitize, wear face coverings, and socially distance.

Jenna Ellis, special counsel from Thomas More Society, who is representing MacArthur and Grace, called the county's actions "bullying and harassment."

 The $1,000 fine comes a little over a week after L.A. County moved to evict Grace Church from a parking lot they had leased for more than four decades.

There is a clear photo of the actual signage in the article. This is so clearly anti-God behaviour.
    I'll stick by my earlier comment. This has gotten very personal for LA county. I don't think this is going to end well.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

The church is still waiting for a decision from the judge.

But, this, today.

https://disrn.com/news/la-county-fin...9o7l6yDwy0f7y0

Last Updated Sep 9th, 2020 at 12:43 pm
      In ongoing efforts to halt indoor worship services at Grace Community Church, Los Angeles County has reportedly handed Pastor John MacArthur's church a $1,000 fine for violating a signage ordinance.

Grace Church posted attention-getting signs outside its sanctuary that read in part:

"Please do not enter if you have an elevated temperature, a cough, or any flu-like symptoms."
      But according to county inspectors, the signs were not properly placed at both the front and back entrances to the building, nor did they instruct congregants to wash their hands, sanitize, wear face coverings, and socially distance.

Jenna Ellis, special counsel from Thomas More Society, who is representing MacArthur and Grace, called the county's actions "bullying and harassment."

🔦 The $1,000 fine comes a little over a week after L.A. County moved to evict Grace Church from a parking lot they had leased for more than four decades.

There is a clear photo of the actual signage in the article. This is so clearly anti-God behaviour.
      Oh right. The county's specific precautions are important to list at the entrance because nobody has heard about these protective measures anywhere else. If people arrive at the church campus and have the notification of these protective measures, they will be so thankful to the county for requiring the posting of these novel protections.

Part of the freedom of speech is about the right not to have to say what the state wants you to say.
      Last edited by mikewhitney; 09-09-2020, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

That video was refreshing. There have been so many dry wells around here that it is surprising to hear someone say the whole truth. I'm glad to hear another pastor (beyond CP) who knows what is going on in the nation and the world. Yet, so few people are able to handle the truth right now. The truth is like someone scraping his fingernails on the chalkboard or being threatened by the Pin(TM).
          Last edited by mikewhitney; 09-09-2020, 11:34 PM.

Comment

L.A. County Superior Court Judge Mitchell Beckloff sided with public health officials, who took legal action last month to enforce health orders against Grace Community Church, an evangelical congregation in Sun Valley that has been holding Sunday worship services indoors since July 26.

“While the court is mindful that there is no substitute for indoor worship in the ‘spiritual refuge’ of a sanctuary, the court cannot ignore the County Health Order does not dictate a ban on worship,” Beckloff wrote in his decision granting the county’s request for a preliminary injunction.

The order remains in effect until the issue is resolved.

Source: https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ndoor-services

Isaiah 10:1 says, "Woe to those who enact evil statutes and to those who constantly record unjust decisions."
            ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
              L.A. County Superior Court Judge Mitchell Beckloff sided with public health officials, who took legal action last month to enforce health orders against Grace Community Church, an evangelical congregation in Sun Valley that has been holding Sunday worship services indoors since July 26.

“While the court is mindful that there is no substitute for indoor worship in the ‘spiritual refuge’ of a sanctuary, the court cannot ignore the County Health Order does not dictate a ban on worship,” Beckloff wrote in his decision granting the county’s request for a preliminary injunction.

The order remains in effect until the issue is resolved.

Source: https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ndoor-services

Isaiah 10:1 says, "Woe to those who enact evil statutes and to those who constantly record unjust decisions."
              It takes a whole bunch of lies to achieve that judge's decision. Pharaoh summoned Moses and said, "Go, worship the LORD. Even your families may go with you; only your flocks and herds must stay behind."

Comment

The LA Times article says that the county only sued after trying to work with GCC. To my knowledge, that is not the case. They closed the coffee shop and stopped the lease for the parking area and fined them for "improper signage". All bullying tactics and not working with the church at all.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

The LA Times article says that the county only sued after trying to work with GCC. To my knowledge, that is not the case. They closed the coffee shop and stopped the lease for the parking area and fined them for "improper signage". All bullying tactics and not working with the church at all.
                  Maybe the TImes means the city was working with GCC to shut it down, but GCC wasn't doing it right.

Comment

Count me as not surprised. I think in the future this will go down as a turning point when the government went from neutral on religious belief to hostile to religious belief. We Christians are not ready for this.
                    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                      Maybe the TImes means the city was working with GCC to shut it down, but GCC wasn't doing it right.
                      I'm also not buying the statement from the county, as mentioned in the article, that health officials were barred from entering during services.

People were literally walking in off the street. The officials could easily have gone in to observe. Or, like thousands of people worldwide they could have viewed the live stream.

Maybe they would have learned something about God if they'd done that.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                        Count me as not surprised. I think in the future this will go down as a turning point when the government went from neutral on religious belief to hostile to religious belief. We Christians are not ready for this.
                        It makes me ever thankful that our senior leadership in Texas is very much pro religious liberty -- if the state turns blue, as many are predicting it will, I'm concerned that hostility will be brought upon us.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

[Click the image to play the video.]

I figured he might say this. Amen, I say.
                          ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                            [Click the image to play the video.]

I figured he might say this. Amen, I say.

I just don't think John grasps the depth and strength of the hostility being directed at him. The first century Christians were under the authority of Christ but still got persecuted and killed by the government. I hope the church leadership is talking about what to do when the building is seized. I get they won't say anything publicly about that nor should they.

Optics note: Fox didn't help John cause any by mentioning the lawyer is also working on the Trump reelection campaign. That just strengthens the public belief about the depth of the ties between Trump and Christians and the blowback is going to bad if Biden wins.

Comment

I don't think John cares about the level of hostility aimed at him.

Comment

I don't think John cares about the level of hostility aimed at him.

As for me and my house...
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment