Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Post Covid-19 Church Attendance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Covid-19 Church Attendance

I tried this once and got what I get when I post in haste, poor results. So take two.

Now that churches are reopened, even if not at full capacity - right now NY is at 33%, what do you think attendance is going to do? We could see an increase in attendance as people turn to God, no change, or a decrease as people decide they don't need God or at least church in their lives. Also, I'm thinking at the national level on this. I'm sure there will be regional and local church exceptions to whatever the norm comes out as.

This is the article that started me thinking about this https://religionandpolitics.org/2020...ion-recession/. It argues both sides and comes out for a decline in attendance.

My opinion is we're looking at a decline. The elderly who are most likely to get Covid-19 are going to stay away from a potential infection. My mother who has an underlying condition falls into this category. For many people, church is simply a habit that is now broken. I won't argue against a crisis bump in attendance but I don't think it will be sustained and in a year be gone.

The article also mentions that from a financial point of view, church is as risky as a restaurant. I think many churches that have been on the edge financially will close.

For those who's church has reopened and you've attended, what are you seeing?
    Increase that will sustain
    14.29%
    Crisis Bump in attendance that will eventually go away
    28.57%
    No real change
    28.57%
    Decline in attendance continuing current trends
    28.57%
    Other
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Thoughtful Monk; 06-26-2020, 08:52 AM.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

I think, after a full open, there may be a bump, just like after 9/11 and other national crisis situations, but it will then go back down.

Our own Church, I think, will actually see a sustainable increase, as we've had visitors from other churches which were still closed who like our services better than their own church.
    But that's not a net gain overall - just a "transfer".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I wonder what the megachurches are doing. Some reason, more than a 100 people in a church gathering causes people to get sick, per the governor's directive.

I think we had fewer than normal right now. There were people I noticed were gone two weeks ago. I missed last week because I was studying late.

The church gathering was still too hindered by the excessive coronavirus changes. These provisions takes too much away from normalcy. At least the people could go to the outdoor area and not have masks on. Still, lots of people didn't do that.

We have never had a problem (beyond flu season levels) with the coronavirus here.

Comment

Our attendance is currently about 1/3 our regular attendance...although we are seeing a few new faces. I'm not sure how much, if any, of a bump we may get.

Since we are simulcasting for the first time in our history, a lot of folks are just staying home and streaming it.
        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Two of our members - a senior adult couple - have tested positive, and are home under self-quarantine.

They had not been to church in the prior 4 weeks, so they didn't get it from us, or put us at risk.

Though they are older - in their early 70's - they seem to be tolerating it quite well.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Our in-house Church attendance was WAY down Sunday Morning, and that's fine= we had been advising people to stay home, only come of they are really wanting to, and PLENTY of social distancing room.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Our in-house Church attendance was WAY down Sunday Morning, and that's fine= we had been advising people to stay home, only come of they are really wanting to, and PLENTY of social distancing room.
              Glad that you're not disappointed in declining attendance. What was the mood of the people who did come?
              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                Glad that you're not disappointed in declining attendance. What was the mood of the people who did come?
                It was actually quite good - very encouraging. It's like we ALL know this is a serious thing, and we all understand there there are many who may be more susceptible to death or severe consequences, and we know they're mostly "watching from home".

I think our congregation is handling this in the very best possible way.

Thanks for asking.

ETA: Yes, normally, when there's a low attendance, it brings with it a sense of... um.... "downer".

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  It was actually quite good - very encouraging. It's like we ALL know this is a serious thing, and we all understand there there are many who may be more susceptible to death or severe consequences, and we know they're mostly "watching from home".

I think our congregation is handling this in the very best possible way.

Thanks for asking.

ETA: Yes, normally, when there's a low attendance, it brings with it a sense of... um.... "downer".
                  Morning, CP. Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to talk with a minister about this. Their church hasn't reopened yet and the leadership team is in no hurry to do so. They are going to try a drive-in service this coming Sunday. The minister also said from what they're hearing, churches that reopen are seeing 10 to 40 percent of normal attendance. Obviously, it's way too early to generalize to the post-Covid future.

How was attendance at your church yesterday?

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                    Morning, CP. Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to talk with a minister about this. Their church hasn't reopened yet and the leadership team is in no hurry to do so. They are going to try a drive-in service this coming Sunday. The minister also said from what they're hearing, churches that reopen are seeing 10 to 40 percent of normal attendance. Obviously, it's way too early to generalize to the post-Covid future.

How was attendance at your church yesterday?
                    Our attendance was about what I expected - about 20-25 people. It looks like what's happening is our people are "cycling in and out" - there are about 12 people who are consistently there, and others appear once a month or so.

We have shut down everything except one Sunday AM service, one adult Sunday School class, and one Wednesday evening service, ALL of which have plenty of room for those who attend.

Comment

We allow in person by reservation (because we’re limiting it to 25), and video. Obviously in person is down. It’s hard to judge total, because a family watchibg would count as one. I don’t expect in person to return to normal any time soon. But total involvement in the church may we’ll be at its normal level.

The 25 limit is not from the State.

Comment

We are still encouraging people to stay home, except those who feel a genuine need or desire to "sit in a pew".

stay home.jpg

Comment

Talked to a friend of mine who goes to a larger church. For awhile, they were on-line service only. When they reopened, they went from the normal 2 services to 6 services for social distancing. However, some of the services were only attended by maybe 6 people so they've cut back to 3 services. He thinks many people are still doing the on-line services.

Comment

I think we have about 40% at most of what we saw before this coronavirus thing

We have been meeting outside. It is okay as long as you don't have astroturf allergies. I know one couple who doesn't attend because they take care of the grandchildren ... so it is up to the children's parents.

Comment

Been almost two months since we talked about this. How is church attendance going in your area?

Around here the churches are still shut with internet service only, a few outdoor services but the weather is about to shut that down, or reduced attendance. I was talking to a friend and his church is open but attendance is about 1/3 of normal. I'm predicting a wave of closings over the next few months as churches that are borderline financially healthy fail.

Comment