Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Gospel of John

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Gospel of John

The death of Apostle James is recorded in Acts, circa 64AD.

It seems incredible that the deaths of James the brother of Jesus, the deaths of Peter and Paul and the fall of the Temple should not have been included in the New Testament, including the Gospel of John, if they had been written after 70 AD?

Doesn't this suggest the the Gospel of John was written before these events?

What would be the reason to include events after Jesus's ascension into Heaven? The Gospel of John is about the life and ministry of Jesus. I see no reason to include the events you list in it.

So the answer to your question is no.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      What would be the reason to include events after Jesus's ascension into Heaven? The Gospel of John is about the life and ministry of Jesus. I see no reason to include the events you list in it.

Yes, and John was specifically pointing to Christ's deity in his gospel.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post

It seems incredible that the deaths of James the brother of Jesus, the deaths of Peter and Paul and the fall of the Temple should not have been included in the New Testament, including the Gospel of John, if they had been written after 70 AD?

James, the brother of John and one of the twelve disciples/apostles, was murdered around AD 44 by Herod Agrippa, grandson of Herod the Great. (Acts 12:1-2). The other James, brother of Jesus, was murdered around AD 64. Maybe AD 62, following the chronology of Josephus (Antiquities xx.9) or maybe during the siege of Jerusalem, around AD 90. Whether he was clubbed to death or thrown off the pinnacle of the temple, is subject to debate and results from various accounts.
        When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Because they were important events.

The Fall of the Temple was predicted by Jesus.

Comment

Because they were important events.

The Fall of the Temple was predicted by Jesus.
            Yet they still didn't occur during the Incarnate life of Jesus so would be irrelvent to a recounting of His life.
            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

This is the document I am using for a possible early date of the Gospel of John:

http://www.ristosantala.com/rsla/Nt/NT07.html

Comment

This is the document I am using for a possible early date of the Gospel of John:

http://www.ristosantala.com/rsla/Nt/NT07.html
                I will leave it to better minds than mine to argue over when the Gospel was written. Since any scenario puts the Gospel being written in the life of John, I'll focus on the message and impact that it should have on my life.

Comment

I think the gospels would be written at least started as the seige of Jerusalem began. This would be a time when the continuation of Christianity had to be a concern, a transition was happening. The possibility of more eyewitnesses and Apostles dying was in sight.

The earlier years would likely have been focused on evangelism, of spreading the gospel with priority among many of the disciples. These likely were tough times too and thus did not offer an early and clear opportunity to write the gospels. Some consideration must be made about the ability to get the people and materials needed to do this task. These would probably cost a month of income per gospel, plus making additional copies.

On the actual pen-to-paper aspect, Jesus had said that the scribes' work would be needed but would be different from the pre-Messiah approach. see Matt 13:52
                  And he said to them, “Therefore every scribe who has been trained for the kingdom of heaven is like a master of a house, who brings out of his treasure what is new and what is old.”

Comment

Analysis of the date of the Gospel of John by Daniel B. Wallace.

https://chab123.wordpress.com/2014/1...-four-gospels/

Click on Gospel of John:

https://bible.org/seriespage/gospel-...gument-outline

Wallace is convinced that the Gospel of John was written before 70AD; however he believes that John knew of the deaths of Peter and Paul.

Wallace presents the argument for a late date and and early date -- 65 or 66AD.

Comment

1. I think there is something to be said for the theory that James and John both suffered death under Herod in about 44, and may therefore be the Two Witnesses of Rev 11. This would leave John the Elder to be the author of the Gospel & Revelation.

2. The Johannine Gospel is about Jesus, Who and Whence He is, and the mystery of His Identity as the King of Isaiah 11. It does not need to mention events that have no bearing on its theological message. The departure of the Lord’s Mother is not mentioned either, FWIW.

Comment