Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Acts 10 & 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    When people are not taught correct theology they become undiscerning and can't see that what the person teaching them is saying is wrong.
    But they can teach themselves, but they don't take the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
      And another thing.

When I listen to these Christians in my Bible class and see how they interpret some Scriptures I come to the conclusion that they are lazy. They just can't take the time to do a proper job of it. For instance, the subject came up yesterday about whether Jesus was the only way to God, TWO participants interpreted Jesus' comment "my Father has many rooms" (mansions) as an indication there would be people from other religious in some of those rooms as proof that Jesus was not only way.
      This is what happens when Bible study is treated a time when anybody can make a random suggestion, say "I think this is what it's saying to me", and everybody's ideas are treated as equally valid. I don't think that every small group out there needs to take advanced courseworks on hermeneutics and exegesis, but there needs to be some grounding.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
        Peter did need to know that God declared the Gentiles clean, But Cornelius needed to hear the Gospel. When he did, he was baptized and received the Holy Spirit.
        Yeah, I misunderstood what you were asking. But actually, it's the other way around. Cornelius and his associates received the Holy Spirit and THEN were baptized.

Acts 10
        44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message.
        45 The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles.
        46 For they heard them speaking in tongues[b] and praising God. Then Peter said,
        47 “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.”
        48 So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          Yeah, I misunderstood what you were asking. But actually, it's the other way around. Cornelius and his associates received the Holy Spirit and THEN were baptized.

Acts 10
          44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message.
          45 The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles.
          46 For they heard them speaking in tongues[b] and praising God. Then Peter said,
          47 “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.”
          48 So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days.
          Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Acts 10
            This demonstrates the problem of taking any one passage of Scripture -- perhaps especially historical narratives -- as universally normative.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment