Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Eyewitness testimony: Fatima

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Both wiki and about.com should be taken with a grain of salt IMO. The Orthodox Church celebrates the Dormition (falling asleep) of Mary on August 15th. In Orthodox iconography, Mary's body is depicted on her death-bed, beyond which can be seen Christ holding her soul (depicted as a baby in swaddling clothes) in His arms. It is believed that Mary was resurrected with the body we will receive in the general resurrection within three days of her death. As far as I can tell, the Catholic tradition is less well-defined; Pope Pius XII (in 1950) dogmatised that she was assumed into heaven, but AFAIK does not state whether that happened before or after death.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Alleged incident.
      Any claim of a miracle from God used to verify that the Catholic church is the true church is to be rejected...unless of course the RCC repents of its heresies.

Comment

Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
        Any claim of a miracle from God used to verify that the Catholic church is the true church is to be rejected...unless of course the RCC repents of its heresies.
        I see you still haven't learned from last time, eh?
        Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
          you have to get into foudroyant logic. "Thou Must believe as I prescribe or else its Satanic!!!!"
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Learned what?

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
              you have to get into foudroyant logic. "Thou Must believe as I prescribe or else its Satanic!!!!"
              When prayer is offered unto anyone but God then it is Satanic.

Here is another Satanic doctrine:

By the sacrament of Baptism, whenever it is properly conferred in the way the Lord determined and received with the proper dispositions of soul, man becomes truly incorporated into the crucified and glorified Christ and is reborn to a sharing of the divine life (Decree on Ecumenism, chap. 3, II, 22, p. 427).

Cornelius and the Gentiles with him were saved before they were water baptized.

That's two heresies so far.
              Last edited by foudroyant; 05-16-2014, 08:45 PM.

Comment

When prayer is offered unto anyone but God then it is Satanic.
                Didn't we already deal with this in the "Catholic Problems" thread?
                Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Since KB asked about the RCC then such a topic ought to come into play.

Comment

Be glad you missed the Jude 3b experience. All he ever did was beat the anti-Catholic drum. Foudroyant at least branches out into other topics.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Catholics in general don't worship Mary (some Catholics in certain parts of the world come mighty close to it, if they don't go totally over the line). I wish Protestants would stop saying things like that.

Comment

How is it not worshiping her when multi-millions of Catholics pray to her?

Comment

I'm not sold on the idea of praying to dead saints, but in theory praying to her is the same as asking a living friend here on earth to intercede on your behalf in prayer. Mary and the rest of the saints merely plead your case before God and it's God who brings about deliverance.

Comment

If I ask a person on earth to intercede on my behalf can that person:
                            a. Know exactly what I am asking for every time I ask if I ask silently? (prayer can be done silently)
                            b. Know exactly what I am asking for if 100 million other people were to ask at the same time as me?

It's not the same thing nor is it even close to being the same thing.
                            Last edited by foudroyant; 05-16-2014, 11:22 PM.

Comment

If I ask a person on earth to intercede on my behalf can that person:
                              a. Know exactly what I am asking for every time I ask if I ask silently? (prayer can be done silently)
                              b. Know exactly what I am asking for if 100 million other people were to ask at the same time as me?

It's not the same thing nor is it even close to being the same thing.
                              Already dealt with before. Not my fault if you choose to ignore it.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                                Couldn't we say that about all the churches we belong to though? we are Christian in spite of the (fill in the blank church) because its Jesus that saved us and not the Church?
                                A problem arises when the Catholic theology claims that the Catholic church is the true church. (Which of course isn't a claim unique to Catholicism).

Comment