Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Coming Storm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    I've been watching the news about John MacArthur and Grace Church. The storm has drawn closer. The skies are now definitely dark and gloomy and wind is colder and stronger. I think I just felt a drop of rain on my face.
    But our Lord is still in control, and knows the end from the beginning, and all will be accomplished according to His plan, for His glory.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      But our Lord is still in control, and knows the end from the beginning, and all will be accomplished according to His plan, for His glory.

Absolutely!! However that doesn't in anyway guarantee that what is coming will be pleasant or enjoyable for us to go through.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Absolutely!! However that doesn't in anyway guarantee that what is coming will be pleasant or enjoyable for us to go through.
        Agreed. But all that is but a fleeting shadow in light of eternity!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

That was what was shown in Revelation also. I think we are heading toward Rev 20:7-10. Maybe it is the assurance MacArthur gained from scripture that has given him the boldness. Although, I have not heard what his eschatological perspective is.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
            That was what was shown in Revelation also. I think we are heading toward Rev 20:7-10. Maybe it is the assurance MacArthur gained from scripture that has given him the boldness. Although, I have not heard what his eschatological perspective is.
            He has been at GCC for 51 years, and I've been listening to him for almost 40 of those. He has taught God's word faithfully, and his assurance comes from knowing God's words in a deep way.

He is a futurist. I was a futurist before I ever heard of him, and his teaching only solidified my own reasoning on the matter.

Comment

Agreed. But all that is but a fleeting shadow in light of eternity!
              I have finally figured out that you and others are coming from a place of maturity on this than I have. I'm sorry I just don't have that assurance of salvation that so many others have. I don't know that I can persevere through a persecution. I fear I will fall away. So I guess what you are seeing as nothing is really scary for me.

Incidentally, I find one sentence or a verse response not helpful. It's just too drive by.
              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

I have finally figured out that you and others are coming from a place of maturity on this than I have. I'm sorry I just don't have that assurance of salvation that so many others have. I don't know that I can persevere through a persecution. I fear I will fall away. So I guess what you are seeing as nothing is really scary for me.

Incidentally, I find one sentence or a verse response not helpful. It's just too drive by.

And, sorry for the one-liners.

I grew up in a denomination that believes you can lose your salvation. When I started studying scripture on my own as a young mom I realized that nothing can snatch me out of His hand. John 14-17 were and are a great comfort to me.

Romans 8:38, 39 are also so encouraging in regards to security.

38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord

And there are so many others.

I came to the realization that I am not in charge of keeping my salvation. Christ is. And as for fear of denying Him in times of persecution, my Dad used to tell me to stop borrowing grace. When/if the time comes that I will be persecuted for His name's sake, He will give me the grace I'll need, as He's given to thousands of others before me, to stand firm and claim Him my Saviour.
                Last edited by mossrose; 09-13-2020, 12:11 PM.

Comment

And, sorry for the one-liners.

I grew up in a denomination that believes you can lose your salvation. When I started studying scripture on my own as a young mom I realized that nothing can snatch me out of His hand. John 14-17 were and are a great comfort to me.

Romans 8:38, 39 are also so encouraging in regards to security.

38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord

And there are so many others.

I came to the realization that I am not in charge of keeping my salvation. Christ is. And as for fear of denying Him in times of persecution, my Dad used to tell me to stop borrowing grace. When/if the time comes that I will be persecuted for His name's sake, He will give me the grace I'll need, as He's given to thousands of others before me, to stand firm and claim Him my Saviour.
                  I don't think this is a salvation issue. Instead of assurance of salvation, I probably should have said a lack of the presence of God in my life. I'm definitely in some form of wilderness experience that not belonging to a church is intensifying. And I agree about needing to stop borrowing grace. I've had that issue for several years now.

Comment

I don't think this is a salvation issue. Instead of assurance of salvation, I probably should have said a lack of the presence of God in my life. I'm definitely in some form of wilderness experience that not belonging to a church is intensifying. And I agree about needing to stop borrowing grace. I've had that issue for several years now.

Ok, that makes more sense.

I don't know how old you are, or how long you've been a believer. I've been around on this planet for a while now, as I'm sure any of my teasers will tell you that I'm older than dirt, and been a believer for a long time.

But the surest way I've been able to know, aside from scripture assurance, that the Lord has been and is present with me is to see how He has worked in my life and in the lives of others through PAST experiences. I have seen Him do things in His sovereignty that could never be orchestrated by a human. It's the looking back in how His hand has been apparent through times of stress or difficulty that we really can't always see when we're in the middle of it. But seeing how He has been there gives confidence for the next time a hard situation comes up. I've learned over the years to look for His hand sooner, and that's a growing process.

We have all borrowed grace at times. I still struggle with that, but again, it's a growing process.

Comment

Ok, that makes more sense.

I don't know how old you are, or how long you've been a believer. I've been around on this planet for a while now, as I'm sure any of my teasers will tell you that I'm older than dirt, and been a believer for a long time.

But the surest way I've been able to know, aside from scripture assurance, that the Lord has been and is present with me is to see how He has worked in my life and in the lives of others through PAST experiences. I have seen Him do things in His sovereignty that could never be orchestrated by a human. It's the looking back in how His hand has been apparent through times of stress or difficulty that we really can't always see when we're in the middle of it. But seeing how He has been there gives confidence for the next time a hard situation comes up. I've learned over the years to look for His hand sooner, and that's a growing process.

We have all borrowed grace at times. I still struggle with that, but again, it's a growing process.

I grow up in a Christian home but I count from when I started taking it seriously and owning it as they say. From that mark, I'm approaching 30 years as a believer.

I can see how God is working in my life. I just wish I had a better sense of where he's leading me towards or what he wants me to do. You can read the Bible and understand your suppose to be able to proclaim the Word. However no amount of Bible reading will get you to know your suppose to move to Kansas City and be a street preacher there. Admittedly right now I'll settle for a specific church to join. I know people who get that kind of guidance at least once in their lives. I feel lost in the wilderness with no guidance out. When I'm in a real down mood, this gets me to start doubting my salvation.

The not helpful comment I've gotten is "Grow where you're planted." Usually the person will then walk away without explaining how to do that. Also it ignores the possibility that I am not where God wants me to be.

Comment

I grow up in a Christian home but I count from when I started taking it seriously and owning it as they say. From that mark, I'm approaching 30 years as a believer.

I can see how God is working in my life. I just wish I had a better sense of where he's leading me towards or what he wants me to do. You can read the Bible and understand your suppose to be able to proclaim the Word. However no amount of Bible reading will get you to know your suppose to move to Kansas City and be a street preacher there. Admittedly right now I'll settle for a specific church to join. I know people who get that kind of guidance at least once in their lives. I feel lost in the wilderness with no guidance out. When I'm in a real down mood, this gets me to start doubting my salvation.

The not helpful comment I've gotten is "Grow where you're planted." Usually the person will then walk away without explaining how to do that. Also it ignores the possibility that I am not where God wants me to be.
                        I count the same way you do! I also grew up in a Christian home but was nearly 25 when I realized I was not a believer and at that point I repented and came to the Lord. So 41 years, for me.

John MacArthur has preached several messages about how we can know the will of God. Here is one of them.

https://www.gty.org/library/sermons-...wing-gods-will

You can read the transcript or listen to the audio or watch the video. And if you do a search on the gty.org website, there will be others. He can explain it much better than I can.

Comment

Over in the Civics forum, seanD said in response to one of my posts:

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                          There's no need to fear though. You and I both were expecting it (especially you!). That's the beauty of expecting trouble versus people either in denial or not expecting trouble. You can mentally and spiritually prepare accordingly for the blow beforehand.
                          Now I'm going to make a most extensive response than I did there.

I wish I had less fear about this. Maybe it's because my earthly responsibilities are weighing on me. I have my wife's welfare to be concerned about. Paul was right when he said about being married can lead to earthly distractions.

I'm not sure how much one can prepare of what is coming. In my opinion, Covid-19 is about inning 2 in this ball game. This is like a hurricane that's coming and you're forced to shelter in place. You do what you can but what happens depends on do you get 70 MPH winds or 110 MPH winds and how long the storm lasts. I have no idea how long this will last except I'm expecting multiple years.

I'm also not sure if there will be a place to flee. Certainly it's going to start regionally in the US. I predict NY, CA, OR, and WA will be on front of what is to come. Certainly I could probably delay being affected by moving to say Texas. But in the end, no where in the US will be safe. You'll just have degree of danger your in.

This is hard. I must continue to prepare myself and my wife as best I can. Right now, I'm not going to count on any churches in my area to help. Most are so Christian-in-name-only they won't believe this is coming. I think what Jesus said to Sardis is the most appropriate to the current situation:
                          Scripture Verse:

Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have found your deeds unfinished in the sight of my God. - Revelation 3:2

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

TM, I sent you a PM.

Comment