Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Suicide Note...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suicide Note...

As a Christian I am against suicide, but I can't argue with some of the logic here. I suspect that they weren't believers though... Thoughts?

Carl and Susan Chase

BROOKSVILLE - Why? 10/25/19
    - For anyone who wants to know -
    This is an attempt to explain why we have decided to end our lives now. We believe it is a person's fundamental right to choose whether or not to go on living when they approach the "end-game" of life, and for many reasons that time has come for us. We have come to this decision both independently and together. Here are some of the considerations that have led us to make this choice.
    - We have had full and happy lives, blessed with extraordinary good luck. It is unreasonable at our age to assume it will continue that way and we want to leave while things are still good, before our luck runs out, not after!
    - We have enjoyed generally good health until the last few years, when it has started to become clear that the body is wearing out. Where most people these days tackle every medical issue as it arises, we've chosen not to spend our last years in an escalating battle against our body's failures, taking more and more pills, signing up for exhausting operations, waiting for the next issue to show up. Dying is natural, and inescapable. We see nothing good about stretching the process out over as many years as possible.
    - Dementia lurks for all of us and we are determined to escape that fate. We would hate to burden family, friends and each other with our care. Some might say that is what family and friends are for, but in the case of the elderly we heartily disagree, if there is a chance to avoid it. Too much time, energy, money and good will is squandered trying to eke out those last days, months and years.
    - We feel that we have made some small contributions to the communities in which we have lived, but they have - and will - become less and less. We dread becoming useless, using up more and more resources and attention, and contributing less and less in return. We feel that happening.
    - For myself (Carl) as things break down I can't enjoy many of the things I like to do. My hearing - even with the best hearing aids - doesn't let me follow conversations, movies, music, etc. - well enough to enjoy them. My failing knees ruled out skiing some years ago; now walking and getting in and out of boats are difficult. I have some other on-going medical issues which I've chosen to ignore rather than fight because an old age spent fighting losing battles is not a life I want.
    - And as for me (Susan)... the dementia on my maternal side (mom and grandmother) looms as a crouching demon from age 75 on. I do not want to lose my mind. I do not want to live in assisted living or a nursing home. And I do not want to use up the money doing so. I would rather it be shared and put to good use for the next generations. Physically I'm in good shape for 75, but I feel things going and have some nagging internal issues.
    And then there's this...
    - While it is always possible that things will turn around for the better for the human race here on earth, it is impossible to imagine that it could happen anytime soon - certainly not in any possible lifetime of ours. The pressure of over-population is bringing about the destruction of civilization, and will eventually cause the extinction of our species as we make the planet unfit for ourselves. This process is already well underway. As a consequence truth, decency and rule of law are disappearing daily right before our eyes, leaving no system or social structure capable of managing the mess. Things are sure to get uglier and more violent as "survival of the fittest" becomes the rule. It is hard to be cheerful when confronted by the daily news. We've seen more than enough of it already. We have no desire to be further witness to it.
    - In short, we want to conclude our lives on a high note while we still have the wits and capability to manage it. We'd like to think that we'll be remembered as the persons we've been up till now, rather than gamble on what we may become over the next 10 - 20 years. In any case that is our choice!
    - Finally, we sincerely apologize to anyone we have inconvenienced or let down by our decision, its timing or the absence of any warning. There was no good way to schedule it without having to involve others. That was unthinkable. Although we are blessed with wonderful family and friends this was too personal to share with anyone. We appeal to you for understanding, and beg that you will help each other in picking up the pieces we inevitably leave behind.
    CARL & SUSAN
    Published on November 13, 2019
    https://obituaries.bangordailynews.c...ase-1077789656
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Sounds like an extended excuse for taking the easy way out.

And I recall reading something about gaining the whole world but losing one's soul to be a net negative.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

And I recall reading something about gaining the whole world but losing one's soul to be a net negative.
      And there is that...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Suicide, while tragic, is a tremendous burden to place on the ones you leave behind. From that perspective, it's "all about me".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Suicide, while tragic, is a tremendous burden to place on the ones you leave behind. From that perspective, it's "all about me".
          Having had a brother who took his own life at the age of 35, I can attest that this is very true.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

One of the best things my Mom did for me before she passed was becoming a burden. You grow up completely when you take care of a parent.

What ever happened to "he ain't heavy, he's my brother'?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              One of the best things my Mom did for me before she passed was becoming a burden. You grow up completely when you take care of a parent.
              Never really thought of it that way before, but yeah.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                As a Christian I am against suicide, but I can't argue with some of the logic here. I suspect that they weren't believers though... Thoughts?
                The health issues struck a personal cord in me. My mother died with dementia and it was horrible. Recently I had suffered a form of transient osteoporosis in my left hip that left me almost totally helpless (I live alone), a lot of pain and I had to walk with a cane. Being a very physically fit guy overall, this was pretty devastating to me and I'm not going to lie, I contemplated suicide quite a bit. Thankfully the symptoms reversed (not sure how, though I started taking vitamin D3 supplements and my sister was praying for me), but during that period of despair it was pretty rough on my mental outlook. I sympathize with them.

Comment

Yes, though even so, one gains nothing through suicide, so it's a true lose-lose.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    Yes, though even so, one gains nothing through suicide, so it's a true lose-lose.
                    Though I personally believe taking your life is an affront to God's power and authority over you life, I don't believe anyone has presented a convincing theological argument that suicide is an unpardonable sin directly from scripture. That verse specifically pertains to one being so consumed with wealth, you forsake spiritual matters that are obviously more important. It has nothing to do with suicide.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                      Though I personally believe taking your life is an affront to God's power and authority over you life, I don't believe anyone has presented a convincing theological argument that suicide is an unpardonable sin directly from scripture. That verse specifically pertains to one being so consumed with wealth, you forsake spiritual matters that are obviously more important. It has nothing to do with suicide.
                      I agree. I know there are medical and emotional and psychological reasons that someone would contemplate suicide and it really has nothing to do with their spiritual condition.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                        The argument as I understand it stems from the impossibility of repenting post suicide. Though the line of thinking has other implications such as what would happen if a believer slipped up and died while drunk without having had a chance to repent.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          The argument as I understand it stems from the impossibility of repenting post suicide. Though the line of thinking has other implications such as what would happen if a believer slipped up and died while drunk without having had a chance to repent.
                          Or just sudden and unexpected death -- which can happen any number of ways -- while involved in the type of sin (not turning the other cheek or lust or judging others, etc.) we probably engage in on a routine basis.

Comment

Which is why salvation by works is dumb theology, but that is another topic...

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                              Which is why salvation by works is dumb theology, but that is another topic...
                              That is irrelevant to the subject at hand, which is whether salvation is lost by intentional sin, and how.

Comment