Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Kanye West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    From Justin Peters today. Looks like Kanye is on track to visit Osteen.

Hello friends. I wanted to briefly address the news this morning that Kanye West is scheduled to appear at Lakewood Church this next Sunday, November 17th, pastored by Joel Osteen.

Last week I posted a video (https://youtu.be/thqKifnCmAE) about my sudden departure from Twitter. If you have not yet seen that, please do watch it so that this will make more sense. In short, I left Twitter because the vitriolic responses to my urging of caution with Kanye West and his new profession of faith in Christ had become a stumbling block to my wife, Kathy. I wanted to honor her request for me to leave that particular social media platform.

In the video I expressed genuine hope that Kanye has been converted to Christ but also urged caution before we jump on this bandwagon and encourage the “Sunday Services” (henceforth SS) he is leading around the country. I played video from one of these SS in which Kanye endorsed TD Jakes (a Trinity-denying modalist) and told the world that there is nothing wrong with being a Roman Catholic or a Mormon. At a recent SS over 1000 people supposedly “got saved” by being lead in a “sinner’s prayer” and raising their hands. This would have made Charles Finney blush. Now Kanye is going to participate in a church service pastored by one of the most popular, dangerous and obvious false teachers on the planet, Joel Osteen.

I doubt very much that he is going to do what should be done: rebuke Osteen, tell him he is not qualified to be preaching and needs to get saved. That is not going to happen.

Kanye’s SS need to stop. He is doing far more harm right now than he is good. Millions of people around the world are watching him to see what this new-found profession of faith in Christ is all about. In just the last few weeks he has told the entire world that Mormons are ok, Roman Catholics are ok, people who deny the Trinity are ok, and has espoused prosperity gospel theology. Kanye is now about to have “fellowship” with Joel Osteen, a man who despite his winsome, “aw-shucks” personality, is leading untold millions of people around the world to Hell and he is doing this smiling as he goes.

I am grateful that Kanye West has heard the truth. I am grateful that good men like Adam Tyson have given him solid biblical truth. But Kanye is not just listening to good men. He is listening to, surrounding himself with, and endorsing blatant wolves, heretics and false teachers. Kanye does NOT need to be leading services. He needs to be attending services. He is at best a young believer. He is doing untold harm right now. He is undoing what so many of us are trying to do in “teaching sound doctrine and refuting those who contradict” (Titus 1:9). He is not qualified to be leading services.

It has been disappointing to me to see so many even from our own conservative theological circles laud what Kanye is doing in these SS. What is happening is not good on any level. Tremendous harm is being done. This is why the Bible says that leadership in churches should not be done by new converts (1 Timothy 3:6). They are not ready. If Kanye’s conversion is real, he needs to be attending a good, doctrinally sound church every week and quietly learning. That is what is best not only for everyone watching Kanye, but for Kanye himself. What is happening with Kanye is exactly why I urged caution.

Justin Peters
    1) Kanye should not be leading.

In just the last few weeks he has told the entire world that Mormons are ok,
    2) That ship already sailed, when luminaries like the Grahams rooted for Romney.
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by phat8594 View Post
      And to top it off, the Billboard top albums is named "JESUS IS KING".. Tell me anyone here would have predicted that, say 2 months ago?

God is good, and He is in the business of doing the impossible.
      Amen, God is mightily at work. Yet the most amazing thing would be if through his influence, the infamous prostitute Kim Kardashian actually repents.

Kim Kardashian West has announced she will dress more conservatively in the future out of respect for her husband, Kanye West, who has become a devout Christian.

“I do think that, you know, he is my husband, so I obviously want to honor him and what he’s feeling. And he’s been going through this life change, and it’s mostly about the kids.”

As West felt there were to many things in the household that could have a negative, demoralizing effect on their children, the couple agreed to be more careful about what they have around them.

“We got rid of TVs in the kids’ rooms and removed makeup from North’s room—and he’s been very, had this, you know, epiphany of being this—not that he wasn’t an amazing dad—but being a little bit more strict as a dad and being very forceful on the imagery that’s in our household and what they see,” Kim said.
      https://www.ntd.com/kim-kardashian-a...al_402988.html
      Wow, it might actually happen.
      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Here is an addendum just posted, by Justin Peters.

Due to an appointment, I had to rush my earlier post today on Kanye West visiting Lakewood church pastored by Joel Osteen and so want to add an addendum to it.

My point is not that Kanye West should have perfect theology as a new Christian (again, I am hoping that that is what he is). Of course young believers have much to learn theologically and indeed all of us should continue to have our theology honed through the diligent study of God’s Word for as long as we live. That is not the point. My point is that he should not be leading in worship services, he should be attending worship services. He should not be behind the pulpit, as it were, he should be in front of the pulpit of a doctrinally sound church and learning. Kanye West lacks the spiritual maturity and, therefore, the biblical requirements to be leading worship; as evidenced by the fact that he is telling the world that Roman Catholics, Mormons, prosperity gospel promoters and Modalists are all ok.

What I find so telling is that the same people in our theologically conservative circles that have been promoting Kanye West and his Sunday Services would not dream of doing the same if it were some unknown guy from some unknown town who professed to be a new believer and yet was openly endorsing theological heretics, false teachers and cults like Mormonism. They would be encouraging this unknown guy (sincere though he may be) to refrain from public teaching, join a good, doctrinally sound church, submit himself to the care of biblically qualified elders, and learn. That is good advice. That is advice that reflects care and concern both for the individual and the broader witness of the Gospel. So what is the difference? One word: celebrity. Kanye is a celebrity and the other guy is not.

This, dear friends, should not be.

I continue to pray for Kanye. I want just as much as anyone for his conversion to be real. I am not making a definitive judgment one way or the other about his conversion. I am, however, making a definitive judgment that these Sunday Services need to stop, both for his own spiritual well-being and for the broader witness of the Gospel.
        Not Roman Catholics!
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Not Roman Catholics!

Do you want to get into that?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Say WHAT?!?!?!

Kanye Mulls Legally Changing Name to Christian Genius Billionaire Kanye West

Artist and designer Kanye West has thrown out a new name idea and, honestly, it’s hard to tell if he’s joking.

In a surprise appearance at the 2019 Fast Company Innovation Festival, West suggested that he may legally change his name to “Christian Genius Billionaire Kanye West” for a little bit.

“When people say it’s crass to call yourself a billionaire, I might legally change my name to Christian Genius Billionaire Kanye West for a year until y’all understand exactly what it is,” he told Fast Company senior writer Mark Wilson.

“That’s going to be so hard to type,” Wilson joked.

“It will be on the license plate,” West pitched in.

West’s erratic interview style often results in head-turning lines like this one.

Last year, he stirred up controversy by suggesting slavery was a choice.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, he's not showing good signs of genuine repentance, imo.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Since we don't really know what's going on in Kanye's heart or how this will end, I think this thread is more a Christian Rorschach Ink Blot test. It reveals, in part anyway, who you are.
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Right back at ya.

Comment

Officers were brought to tears and inmates prayed on their knees during surprise concert at Texas jail by Kanye West

https://www.theblaze.com/news/kanye-...e-jail-concert
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      Officers were brought to tears and inmates prayed on their knees during surprise concert at Texas jail by Kanye West

https://www.theblaze.com/news/kanye-...e-jail-concert
                      Saw a video of that on TV this morning on a local news show.

00000000000000ab000-00aaalal.jpg

I'd just feel a whole lot more comfortable if Osteen wasn't involved.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Saw a video of that on TV this morning on a local news show.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40957[/ATTACH]

I'd just feel a whole lot more comfortable if Osteen wasn't involved.
                        And the whole "look how much money I have now" thingy.

Comment

I have no idea what to make of it. I don't spend too much time worrying about whether Kanye is or is not a genuine Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                            I have no idea what to make of it. I don't spend too much time worrying about whether Kanye is or is not a genuine Christian.
                            Except if he isn't and is just using it as a means to make more money, then it brings great dishonour to the Lord. And He doesn't need that kind of publicity.

Comment

Except if he isn't and is just using it as a means to make more money, then it brings great dishonour to the Lord. And He doesn't need that kind of publicity.
                              Some indeed preach Christ from envy and rivalry, but others from good will. The latter do it out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely but thinking to afflict me in my imprisonment. What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice. Paul...
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                                Some indeed preach Christ from envy and rivalry, but others from good will. The latter do it out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely but thinking to afflict me in my imprisonment. What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice. Paul...
                                From my Bible commentary regarding "from envy and strife":

The attitude of Paul's detractors, who really did preach the gospel but were jealous of his apostolic power and authority, his success and immense giftedness. Strife connotes contention, rivalry and conflict, which resulted when Paul's critics began discrediting him.
                                "from goodwill"

Goodwill speaks of satisfaction and contentment, the attitude that Paul's supporters had for him personally and for his ministry.
                                "selfish ambition"

This describes those who were interested only in self-advancement, or who ruthlessly sought to get ahead at any cost. Paul's detractors used his incarceration as an opportunity to promote their own prestige by accusing Paul of being so sinful the Lord had chastened him by imprisonment.
                                "not sincerely" See note on v. 10

Sincere means "genuine", and may have originally meant "tested by sunlight". In the ancient world, dishonest pottery dealers filled cracks in their inferior products with wax before glazing and painting them, making them difficult to distinguish from expensive ones. The only way to avoid being defrauded was to hold the pot to the sun, making the wax-filled cracks obvious. Dealers marked their fine pottery that could withstand "sun testing" as "sine cera" - "without wax".

Paul's preacher critics did not have pure motives.
                                "the latter out of love"

Paul's supporters were motivated by genuine affection for him and confidence in his virtue (cf. 1 Cor. 13:1,2).
                                "I rejoice...will rejoice"

Paul's joy was not tied to his circumstances or his critics (cf. Ps. 4:7, 8; Rom. 12:12; 2 Cor.6:10). He was glad when the gospel was proclaimed with authority, no matter who received credit. He endured the unjust accusations without bitterness at his accusers. Rather, he rejoiced that they preached Christ, even in a pretense of godliness.
                                Bolding is mine. I don't think that Kanye is preaching with any kind of authority, he is too young a believer, if he is such.

And I don't think we can take this entire passage out of context away from Paul's situation to plant it firmly at the feet of anybody who claims to be a Christian.

I am still skeptical and await further proof of Kanye's genuine conversion.

Comment