Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Definition of Evangelical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    What a sad period for cars. I remember IN the 80s hating how cars looked back then.
    Yup.... my dad bought a Ford Maverick ("the simple machine") because it was supposed to be easy to work on. His front shocks went out, and he asked me to replace them. Instead of them being BOLTED into the fender cowling, they were RIVETED! I had to use a drill and a hammer and chisel, and literally BEAT them out before putting the new ones on -- which came with bolts for install.

ford maverick.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Adrift
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    For some reason, their commercials really stuck with me, though I never owned, or wanted to own, a citation. At the end of this commercial, the way they sing .... "Chevy CiTAAAAAAAAAtion!" :erm:
    What a sad period for cars. I remember IN the 80s hating how cars looked back then.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]40049[/ATTACH]
    A friend of mine got the first year model. It had so many bugs we started calling it his trans-poor-citation.

Yeah, kinda weak, but it worked.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Never knew such a car existed. Late 70s through the 80s was a terrible period for car names apparently.
    For some reason, their commercials really stuck with me, though I never owned, or wanted to own, a citation. At the end of this commercial, the way they sing .... "Chevy CiTAAAAAAAAAtion!" :erm:

Leave a comment:

• Adrift
    replied
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]40049[/ATTACH]
    Never knew such a car existed. Late 70s through the 80s was a terrible period for car names apparently.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Do you have a citation on that?
    citation.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    The Greek Church was under the yoke of Islam for centuries (when attempts to spread the faith could easily end in execution), then was very much linked to Greek identity when Greece finally won its independence from the Ottoman Empire. Changing such ingrained attitudes - which are hardly ideal - does not happen overnight. Other Orthodox jurisdictions have better outreach.
    Interesting. Thanks.

So, in the course of attending, and being instructed, is there any emphasis on seeking the lost and bringing them to Christ?

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    So, I'm puzzled -- if the Orthodox believe they "are the Church", is there no attempt to draw in others who need Salvation?
    The Greek Church was under the yoke of Islam for centuries (when attempts to spread the faith could easily end in execution), then was very much linked to Greek identity when Greece finally won its independence from the Ottoman Empire. Changing such ingrained attitudes - which are hardly ideal - does not happen overnight. Other Orthodox jurisdictions have better outreach.

Leave a comment:

• Adrift
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    FWIW Alister McGrath has said that demi's interpretation of the Great Commission as non binding on all believers was the traditional view pre-Reformation.
    Do you have a citation on that?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    It's hard to say. As long as you're decently dressed (jeans and a t-shirt might draw some looks), you should be okay. Some Greek churches are welcoming, some have the attitude "you're not Greek; why are you here?". Even the latter tend to be puzzled, not hostile, however.
    So, I'm puzzled -- if the Orthodox believe they "are the Church", is there no attempt to draw in others who need Salvation?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
    Is there any passage that says who does the baptizing -- as applicable today?
    No.

I do recommend people get baptized within a church group's pastor, but this is in the absence of any specific instruction as to who should do the baptizing.
    The Church authorizes the baptizer. We have voted, on occasion, to allow a dad to baptize his children when he was the one who led them to the Lord. But, in our tradition, Baptism is an ordnance of the Church, not just the Pastor.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    FWIW Alister McGrath has said that demi's interpretation of the Great Commission as non binding on all believers was the traditional view pre-Reformation.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Well my sentiment is that Orthodox Christians are definitely part of the church if they accept Christ as Lord, and they'd be more than welcome to break bread and take communion with me at my local congregation, even knowing they'd be unlikely to return the favor. You are my brother in Christ, even if some of our other brothers don't think I'm your brother in Christ.

Speaking of, there is a relatively newish Greek Orthodox church in town that I'd love to check out just to see how an Orthodox service goes down (been to a few RCC services already), but I have no idea how welcome I'd be.
    It's hard to say. As long as you're decently dressed (jeans and a t-shirt might draw some looks), you should be okay. Some Greek churches are welcoming, some have the attitude "you're not Greek; why are you here?". Even the latter tend to be puzzled, not hostile, however.

Leave a comment:

• Rushing Jaws
    replied
    Protestants were initially called "Evangelicals"; I no longer recall if that was a self-appellation or given from outside.
    That is what I thought.

Leave a comment:

• demi-conservative
    replied
    For the purpose of the topic, if 'eisegesis' is too controversial we can simply say that the Evangelicals are marked by certain interpretation of the Great Commission, and that this generates a very strong priority on evangelising, producing certain kind of motivation, mindsets and praxis. All these the older strains of Christianity do not have.

Leave a comment: