Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Universalism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universalism

"Universalism is the teaching that all people will be saved. Some say that it is through the atonement of Jesus that all will ultimately be reconciled to God. Others just say that all will go to heaven sooner or later, whether or not they have trusted in or rejected Jesus as savior during their lifetime. This universal redemption will be realized in the future where God will bring all people to repentance. This repentance can happen while a person lives or after he has died and lived again in the millennium (as some "Christian universalists" claim) or some future state." (CARM)

Is there any biblical support for Universalism?

I'm asking because a deacon of my church will be teaching Rob Bell's book, "Love Wins" in an upcoming Bible study.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post

No. Rob Bell wrote that book to excuse practicing homosexuals of their sin.
    Last edited by Bill the Cat; 09-10-2019, 01:20 PM.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Some part of me wishes that universalism was true. My heard knows it is not.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        You have a herd? Of.... those green things with yellow wigs?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          Mayor Pete would be proud!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"Universalism is the teaching that all people will be saved. Some say that it is through the atonement of Jesus that all will ultimately be reconciled to God. Others just say that all will go to heaven sooner or later, whether or not they have trusted in or rejected Jesus as savior during their lifetime. This universal redemption will be realized in the future where God will bring all people to repentance. This repentance can happen while a person lives or after he has died and lived again in the millennium (as some "Christian universalists" claim) or some future state." (CARM)

I'm asking because a deacon of my church will be teaching Rob Bell's book, "Love Wins" in an upcoming Bible study.

Thanks.
            Back in the late 90s I went head to head with Gary Amirault from Tentmaker.org (whom I just found out died). We debated Universalism for months on and off at CARM. They do have some good arguments (historical and Scriptural) - I still hope that they are right - but I don't know. I have no regard for Rob Bell though...

https://tentmaker.org/articles-1/
            Last edited by seer; 09-10-2019, 01:46 PM.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I wouldn't trust anything Rob Bell writes.

And if someone were teaching something that he wrote I would be gone.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Agreed - we did one of his studies in our church a while back - it didn't take long to drop it. I always found him insincere...
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

That's my problem. I've sent many links to the Deacon that point out the mistakes in Bell's book, and she said that Bell has his critics and that is all she said. It took me 3 hours to read all of the links I sent her and she answered me in a few minutes which told me she hadn't read them.

At some point I will ask the church Pastor if he is a universalist and if he agrees with Rob Bell.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                    Yeah. It would stop me worrying about some of my friends and family members who are not believers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      Tell me more. My church wanted to be able to marry homosexuals.

Comment

I understand that Bell lost 3,000 members of his church over this book, "Love Wins."

Comment

maybe its time to find a new church. What denomination is it?

Comment

You need to find a different church.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Our Methodist "guest pastor" sermon on the radio this past Sunday morning was the parable of the Good Samaritan, and how that was a lesson for us to be kinder and more accepting of the "LBGTQ-plus community". And that's how the guest pastor pronounced it numerous times - kinda slowing down and very clearly enunciating "L B G T Q Plus community". He explained that his 'sexual orientation' gave him greater insight into the scriptures than his colleagues.

Comment