Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Universalism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
    Tell me more. My church wanted to be able to marry homosexuals.
    While speaking at Grace Cathedral—an Episcopal church in San Francisco—he was directly asked about his stance on gay marriage and he offered the following response:

“I am for marriage. I am for fidelity. I am for love, whether it’s a man and woman, a woman and a woman, a man and a man. I think the ship has sailed and I think the church needs — I think this is the world we are living in and we need to affirm people wherever they are.”
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      While speaking at Grace Cathedral—an Episcopal church in San Francisco—he was directly asked about his stance on gay marriage and he offered the following response:

“I am for marriage. I am for fidelity. I am for love, whether it’s a man and woman, a woman and a woman, a man and a man. I think the ship has sailed and I think the church needs — I think this is the world we are living in and we need to affirm people wherever they are.”

IMG_1129.JPG

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        You have a herd? Of.... those green things with yellow wigs?
        I can't be in a herd, I'm in a flock.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          maybe its time to find a new church. What denomination is it?
          United Methodist.

However, perhaps this particular church needs people like me to challenge what they preach!?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Our Methodist "guest pastor" sermon on the radio this past Sunday morning was the parable of the Good Samaritan, and how that was a lesson for us to be kinder and more accepting of the "LBGTQ-plus community". And that's how the guest pastor pronounced it numerous times - kinda slowing down and very clearly enunciating "L B G T Q Plus community". He explained that his 'sexual orientation' gave him greater insight into the scriptures than his colleagues.
            Methodist again.

Comment

United Methodist.

However, perhaps this particular church needs people like me to challenge what they preach!?
              You said you've already challenged some things, and nothing has changed. There comes a time to shake the dust off your feet and move on if your efforts to show error are not accepted.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

United Methodist.

I wish that there was hope in that regard, but when a church goes down the path of embracing homosexuality, especially at the behest of their denomination, there is no going back.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What about people who don't want to be saved? One person's utopia is another person's dystopia....
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Universalists are very good at philosophy, mainly because they are very bad at scripture interpretation. There are some verses and concepts you can take out of context to make an argument for universalism, but Jesus made perfectly clear that some will not be saved. Also note Hebrews 3:11: "They will never enter my rest."

I don't think there's anything wrong with hoping everybody will be saved, because 2 Peter 3:9 says the same thing. But when you outright say that it will happen, it becomes a problem.

(This is a very hot topic right now in theology because David Bentley Hart's much anticipated book arguing for universalism is coming out this fall... so I expect to be hearing more discussion about universalism online.)

Edit: Literally two minutes after I posted, I saw that a friend of mine just posted on FB that he is going to publish a critical review of Hart's book in a theological journal. Talk about coincidences.
                    Last edited by KingsGambit; 09-11-2019, 12:05 AM.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I'm trying to find out what the founder of the Methodist church, John Wesley, said about Universalim. But my research keeps coming up talking about John Wesley Hanson.

Comment

United Methodist.

The UMC has strayed so far from the truth, and allowed post-modernism into their ranks, that only a true revival from the Holy Spirit can help them, if they are even at all receptive to Him at a leadership level...
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

United Methodist.

If you feel called to do that and think it could work, go for it. But be prepared to just move on if they don't listen.

Comment

I'm trying to find out what the founder of the Methodist church, John Wesley, said about Universalim. But my research keeps coming up talking about John Wesley Hanson.
                            As long as you don't end up with John Wesley Hardin, who, according to TimeLife Books, was so mean he once shot a man just for snoring! :yea:
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Wesley was not a universalist.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                                Wesley was not a universalist.
                                Had he been, he wouldn't have been such a revivalist.

Comment