Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Benny Hinn renounces prosperity gospel, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mossrose
    replied
    Originally posted by hamster View Post
    Man that is terrible. He knows what he's doing is wrong and he's willingly violating his conscience and the testimony of the Holy Spirit to harm thousands of people for mammon

And he's done it for 40 years!

Peters makes a good point in the video I posted last night, that if Hinn has had such a close relationship with God for the last 4 decades, why didn't God tell him way earlier that what he was teaching was wrong? Why wait until 2 years ago, and why did he continue with his false teaching?

Leave a comment:

• Christianbookworm
    replied
    How foolish can a person be?

Leave a comment:

• hamster
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Benny Hinn renounces prosperity gospel, says ‘Holy Ghost is just fed up with it’

Speaking on a Facebook live broadcast:

However, shortly after this announcement, one writer noticed that his website was still asking for $1000 a month, and he posted a subsequent video pitch asking for "seed money for debt elimination". So I suppose it remains to be seen if he has truly experienced a change in heart.
    Man that is terrible. He knows what he's doing is wrong and he's willingly violating his conscience and the testimony of the Holy Spirit to harm thousands of people for mammon

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    This is lengthy, but very good.

Leave a comment:

• NorrinRadd
    replied
    In itself a "healing service" is not a bad thing; James 5:14 seems to call for them. But I'm aware the term has a different connotation in modern day religion, and James never promises the healing will actually happen.
    Actually vv. 15-16 certainly do seem to promise that, and even support the "If you're sick, it's because you sinned" idea.

This is one of many things frustrating to those of us who want to believe that Scripture is understandable and trustworthy.

Leave a comment:

• Adrift
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Bill the Cat has a sticky here, listing the various heretical word of faith preachers like Hinn, and their heresies:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...etical-beliefs

Saves time having to post them here. The whole WoF movement is corrupt.
    Hmm. Looking through some of those, while quite a bit of it is nonsense, some of it doesn't seem that far off from orthodox teaching. Like some of the talk about equating humanity and divinity sounds like a slightly mixed up view of the Orthodox Church's teachings on theosis. Joyce Meyer's view on the first page is an exaggerated take on the Harrowing of Hell. And the Bible does have clear passages on the power of faith and prayer.

I'm not arguing that the WoF stuff is legit, I don't think it is, and I think plenty of it is ignorant and/or crosses the border into heresy, but I'm cautious about throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I've been to a few of these types of churches (I once went to a Rod Parsley service (oh brother, that was a nightmare)), and while I think things like selling prayer cloths and oils are Temple table flipping offences, and a lot of the hype and emotionalism grieves me to my spirit, what most of these types of churches are mainly guilty of is putting on a show, and exaggerating claims rather than preaching a sermon. I'm certain there are a number of Pastors in the movement that are straight up con artists, but having met a few personally, I sincerely believe that there are a number who are sincere Christians caught up in the hype of the movement.
    Last edited by Adrift; 09-11-2019, 03:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Bill the Cat has a sticky here, listing the various heretical word of faith preachers like Hinn, and their heresies:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...etical-beliefs

Saves time having to post them here. The whole WoF movement is corrupt.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    In itself a "healing service" is not a bad thing; James 5:14 seems to call for them. But I'm aware the term has a different connotation in modern day religion, and James never promises the healing will actually happen.

And, the WoF movement has so intertwined health and wealth that I find it difficult to believe that there is any hope in separating the 2 issues.

I want to make it very clear that I believe that God still heals today. I believe that prayer and perhaps oil anointing and laying on of hands may be part of how God works, although those things do absolutely nothing on their own to effect healing.

I believe God performs miracles today. I do not believe God uses any so-called new apostle or any other person to affect a miracle. I do not believe God speaks new revelation through any person, so when Benny has spent 40 years claiming new revelation and healings and miracles, he is a false prophet and a liar. And he has, with this "repentance", admitted he is a false teacher, whether he thinks that is what he has done or not.

He needs to get out of ministry, he needs to apologize for all the money he has stolen over the years, and he needs to do as much reparation as is possible at this point in time. Then I might believe he has truly repented.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    I wish you would not lump so many things together. There is no necessary link between being sanguine about the "slain in the Spirit" practice and the other things you are deriding.

And while those other things are obnoxious, they do not in and of themselves constitute a "false" gospel in the sense of a gospel that cannot save. Granted, they can certainly harm a person who is saved, and lay a foundation of wrong expectations for those being evangelized.

Ew.

Ok, technically, he claimed to be prophesying, and claimed the dead *would* be raised, not that he *had* raised them.

That was almost as good as the 1980s tape I have of Cope, prophesying that "in six months" people would be raised from the dead "in wholesale lots," and that it would become widely known. (I've lost track of that tape, alas.)

In Justin Peter's DVD series, Clouds Without Water, he shows a clip of Hinn saying that he did raise someone from the dead, and another clip saying that it didn't happen. Hinn also says he's never been sick, then contradicts himself by complaining about having a cold, and he wears glasses and is aging.

Peters did his masters thesis on Hinn. He knows what he's talking about.

Hinn is a charlatan and a false teacher.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    I wish you would not lump so many things together. There is no necessary link between being sanguine about the "slain in the Spirit" practice and the other things you are deriding.

And while those other things are obnoxious, they do not in and of themselves constitute a "false" gospel in the sense of a gospel that cannot save. Granted, they can certainly harm a person who is saved, and lay a foundation of wrong expectations for those being evangelized.

Ew.

Ok, technically, he claimed to be prophesying, and claimed the dead *would* be raised, not that he *had* raised them.

That was almost as good as the 1980s tape I have of Cope, prophesying that "in six months" people would be raised from the dead "in wholesale lots," and that it would become widely known. (I've lost track of that tape, alas.)
    OK I am not saying that God can't heal through others (I believe he healed my father after my mom's church anointed him with oil and the elders prayed over him) - I am condemning Hinn and the other so-called preachers on TBN who are obviously phony showmen who are making a mockery of God and the Gospel with their fake nonsense and their obvious greed.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    While I agree that plenty of people fake it, I've actually known several people personally who sincerely had experiences where their knees buckled in very powerful services. Maybe it was psychosomatic, or maybe they locked their knees or something, but they claimed it was something spiritual and intense. I've never been "slain" (which I think is a goofy term), but have also felt what I can only describe as a sort of...I don't know...exhilarating energy (?), like almost an electricity in the air, during very Holy Spirit filled services. And there is precedence for this sort of atmosphere in the early Christian church (not necessarily falling out, but of spiritually charismatic services). I don't think there's any reason to think that's completely gone (unless you're a cessationist).

Benny Hinn's type of ministry which is light (or absent) on theology, heavy on emotionalism doesn't seem legit to me, and I think he's up there with snake handlers on making Spirit-filled services look silly, so that people avoid them for mostly dead churches devoid of the presence and power of the Holy Spirit. But that's how it goes with people. We're creatures of extremes. Finding the middle way is hard.
    Even if you do believe in such experiences (I am not sure myself) - Benny Hinn has proved himself a false teacher many times over with his prosperity gospel and claims of raising the dead over TVs. So I am sure that the Holy Spirit is not involved in him slaying people in the 'spirit' on his stages. Why would God validate him in such a way? So if people are not faking, or just being pushed over (as I have seen several times) they are swooning because of some psychosomatic placebo effect.

Leave a comment:

• NorrinRadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    yes.

When people fell down before Christ, they fell towards him and bowed to him in worship. Benny pushes people away. But he still seems to glory in the adulation and power as he struts around raising his hand and knocking people over. He is not Christ. He is not healing anyone. He is teaching a false gospel of him knocking them over with the Holy Spirit. In fact, it is mostly people playing along because they don't want to appear to be unworthy or him actually pushing them over. He sells holy anointing oil and prayer rugs that he claims he has imbued with power. He teaches a gospel that says if you are sick it is because of a lack of faith.

He has claimed to raise the dead. Over TV.

Benny Hinn: People around the world, who will lose loved ones, will say to undertakers, ah, not yet. I want to take my dead loved one, and place them in front of that TV set for twenty-four hours.

Paul Crouch: Benny Hinn!

Benny Hinn: I’m telling you.

Paul Crouch: Jesus!

Benny Hinn: People will be, people, I'm telling you I feel the anointing talking here!

Paul Crouch: Dear Jesus!

Benny Hinn: People are going to be canceling funeral services, and bringing their dead in their caskets, placing them - my God I feel the anointing here!

Paul Crouch: Benny Hinn!

Benny Hinn: - Placing them before a television set - waiting for God’s power to come through and touch them. ...

Praise The Lord program broadcast on TBN, October 19, 1999
    Ew.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with that, but if memory serves, you are a cessasionist, so I can understand why we might disagree. At any rate, I guess my point was simply that this isn't necessarily the same thing as what's mentioned in the OP, not that I don't think Hinn won't slip into prosperity teaching in the course of a healing seminar.

Leave a comment:

• Adrift
    replied
    Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    The healing is no better than the prosperity. Both are false teaching.
    I don't necessarily agree with that, but if memory serves, you are a cessasionist, so I can understand why we might disagree. At any rate, I guess my point was simply that this isn't necessarily the same thing as what's mentioned in the OP, not that I don't think Hinn won't slip into prosperity teaching in the course of a healing seminar.

Leave a comment: