Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Benny Hinn renounces prosperity gospel, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benny Hinn renounces prosperity gospel, but...

Benny Hinn renounces prosperity gospel, says ‘Holy Ghost is just fed up with it’

Speaking on a Facebook live broadcast:

“I’m sorry to say that prosperity has gone a little crazy and I’m correcting my own theology and you need to all know it. Because when I read the Bible now, I don’t see the Bible in the same eyes I saw 20 years ago,” Hinn said as his followers rejoiced.

“I think it’s an offense to the Lord, it’s an offense to say give $1,000. I think it’s an offense to the Holy Spirit to place a price on the Gospel. I’m done with it. I will never again ask you to give $1,000 or whatever amount, because I think the Holy Ghost is just fed up with it.
    However, shortly after this announcement, one writer noticed that his website was still asking for $1000 a month, and he posted a subsequent video pitch asking for "seed money for debt elimination". So I suppose it remains to be seen if he has truly experienced a change in heart.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Yup. Within 24 hours of his "repentance" he was asking for money again.

Going to have to do better than that.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I liked everything he said in the video, and I'd like to be able to believe him, but he has a decades-long track record of "repenting" from one thing or another, and then quickly diving back in.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I'm not hopeful. Benny Hinn's nephew Costi Hinn gave an excellent interview a few years ago. If Hinn really has all that debt, why not sell the 10,000 sq foot mansion and his private plane for a small house and a prius?
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Why does he even have debt? He must not have enough faith in his "genie"

If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            I'm not hopeful. Benny Hinn's nephew Costi Hinn gave an excellent interview a few years ago. If Hinn really has all that debt, why not sell the 10,000 sq foot mansion and his private plane for a small house and a prius?
            Costi has a wonderful testimony and hopefully will be able to reach his family members.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Why does the temporal wealth of prosperity preachers feel more like a punishment on the lines of be careful what you wish for?

Comment

As long as he is still preaching his slain in the spirit nonsense, he is still a false teacher.

And he is still selling prayer blankets and books on how to get rich with the gospel:

https://www.bennyhinn.org/product-category/finances/

Comment

"Slain in th Spirit"? What the fudge brownie is that? Is the thing where people fall to the ground and claim that God knocked them down?

Comment

Benny claims that the video that appeared the day after his "repentance" was an old one that was put up by accident.

If you scroll down a bit on this page you will see a link to his response to Justin Peters. Interesting interview by Rappaport of Peters. I sense no real repentance here on Hinn's part, but not surprised. Apparently he has had this change of heart for the past 2 years, but has continued to teach prosperity theology.

https://strivingforeternity.org/rapp88/

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                      "Slain in th Spirit"? What the fudge brownie is that? Is the thing where people fall to the ground and claim that God knocked them down?
                      Yes, we had this in a church I went to for a hot second.
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Sounds weird and I have heard it connected to the "do not touch the anointed means don'tdisagree with the preacher" idea. Which happens to be a red flag. If a church leader refuses to accept disagreements with what they say... not good!

Comment

Sounds weird and I have heard it connected to the "do not touch the anointed means don'tdisagree with the preacher" idea. Which happens to be a red flag. If a church leader refuses to accept disagreements with what they say... not good!
                          When Jimmy Swaggart was caught in sexual sin for the second time, he told his followers "God told me it's none of your business." I suppose you can't really argue with that

I've noticed a lot of these disgraced televangelists repeatedly try to make a comeback. I honestly think it would be for the best of the gospel if they didn't (or if they did, if they focused on the local church instead of making a celebrity comeback). Many of them may mean well but tend to be unable to completely shake off their old habits in the end. There are other people who can take up the slack.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

If Benny Hinn has experienced a change of heart that's great... but I can't help but notice how soon this comes after his nephew published a book harshly criticizing him for hypocrisy. It feels like a face-saving move.

I suppose a less cynical explanation would be that the book was what got through to Benny. Still, the timing does seem a bit suspicious. I guess we'll see.

Comment

Yes. This is a common and longstanding Pentecostal practice, though not always done as flamboyantly as in Hinn's ministry.

FWIW, NT scholar Ben Witherington speaks favorably about the practice in this article (though the practice is not the focus of the article).

Also, NT scholar Cynthia Westfall makes some good points in her reply to this article critical of the practice.
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment