Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christians and Trump--two perspectives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

I agree with you. I'll be glad when both have taken their final bows and exited the stage.

I'd like to think whoever comes after Trump-Biden will be better. However, in the words of the great philosopher Bill Cosby: "Never tempt worse."
    Meanwhile, the sun still comes up in the morning, the birds still sing, my grandchildren still delight me, I love breakfasts with my wife (especially while watching the sunrise), and I don't even have the slightest contempt for those who are absolutely obsessed with Trump.

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I see Trump as the useful idiot - the ass God used to speak to Balaam - the sinful slimy firefighter who shows up to put out the fire in my house....

Regardless of who sits in the White House (when Biden can remember where he is, and that Kamala is NOT the President) God is still on His Throne.

I don't get all bitter and hate-filled and absolutely obsessed with either Biden or Trump to where either of them lives rent-free in my head.

It won't be long before both Trump and Biden are in the grave, and God will still be on His Throne.
    I agree with you. I'll be glad when both have taken their final bows and exited the stage.

I'd like to think whoever comes after Trump-Biden will be better. However, in the words of the great philosopher Bill Cosby: "Never tempt worse."

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    I've had a couple days to think about this more. While I agree that Christians should be involved in the political process, I'm getting more convinced that the Kingdom of God will not be voted in. Maybe we can get a slightly better world if the correct politician is elected. None of them are Christ. The Kingdom of God will only arrive when Christ returns to rule and reign.

Just watching the prolife movement for the past couple years has been instructive. They did get a good deed done by getting Roe v Wade repealed. However, I also see, that pro-life isn't suddenly the view of the people. I think the pro-life movement needs to start putting more effort into changing hearts and minds now. I won't abandon the political process. I just think it is reaching a point where increasing energy into it will produce less and less results. It the old saying, "You can't legislate morality."

Random thought: I think a few Christian supporters of Trump are guilty of idolatry. From my Christian perspective, he's probably the better choice than Biden. Unfortunately, I also think choosing between Trump and Biden is like being asked "do you wish to be executed by hanging or firing squad?"
    I see Trump as the useful idiot - the ass God used to speak to Balaam - the sinful slimy firefighter who shows up to put out the fire in my house....

Regardless of who sits in the White House (when Biden can remember where he is, and that Kamala is NOT the President) God is still on His Throne.

I don't get all bitter and hate-filled and absolutely obsessed with either Biden or Trump to where either of them lives rent-free in my head.

It won't be long before both Trump and Biden are in the grave, and God will still be on His Throne.

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    I've had a couple days to think about this more. While I agree that Christians should be involved in the political process, I'm getting more convinced that the Kingdom of God will not be voted in. Maybe we can get a slightly better world if the correct politician is elected. None of them are Christ. The Kingdom of God will only arrive when Christ returns to rule and reign.

Just watching the prolife movement for the past couple years has been instructive. They did get a good deed done by getting Roe v Wade repealed. However, I also see, that pro-life isn't suddenly the view of the people. I think the pro-life movement needs to start putting more effort into changing hearts and minds now. I won't abandon the political process. I just think it is reaching a point where increasing energy into it will produce less and less results. It the old saying, "You can't legislate morality."

Random thought: I think a few Christian supporters of Trump are guilty of idolatry. From my Christian perspective, he's probably the better choice than Biden. Unfortunately, I also think choosing between Trump and Biden is like being asked "do you wish to be executed by hanging or firing squad?"

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Even more accurate since both parties are full of crap.
    unkept promises.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied

How bout the unipotty? Give it a New England flair.
    Even more accurate since both parties are full of crap.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

I've usually heard of it being called the uniparty, but that also works.
    How bout the unipotty? Give it a New England flair.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied

I have a friend who calls them the monoparty.
    I've usually heard of it being called the uniparty, but that also works.

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied

So it comes down to, in my opinion, work [or vote] like it depends on you, but pray like it depends on God.

(with far more emphasis on the latter)
    I confess I am checking out of the political party. I've come to the conclusion that both are more drawn to maintaining their power than doing good for their city, county, state, or USA. Now if I could just pray more.

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied

I used to believe that, but not anymore. They are just two puppets controlled by the same person. They might appear to fight against each other, but the same force drives them both.
    I have a friend who calls them the monoparty.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy
    replied
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56004916

Leave a comment:

• Timothy
    replied
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    It's not a quibble, champ. Insurrectionists don't wander around, staying respectfully inside the guide ropes, taking selfies once they get inside. I understand you're attempting to manufacture outrage, here, but it looks faintly ridiculous.
    Yeah, that isn't what happened. Nice try though. I don't need to manufacture outrage. January 6th happened, and one side wants to minimize what happened. Whatever. Believe whatever you want. The facts don't care about your feelings, and all that. Have a nice day.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy
    replied

There simply was no insurrection, hence, no insurrectionists.

This horse has been beaten so badly and for so long that pretty much all that remains is his shattered bones.

You can have the last word.
    Whatever. Take another look, if you want to see.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Originally posted by Timothy View Post

Why the word quibble? insurrectionists are also necessarily rioters. Rioters who storm the capital building are also insurrectionists. You say tomato, I say tomato.
    It's not a quibble, champ. Insurrectionists don't wander around, staying respectfully inside the guide ropes, taking selfies once they get inside. I understand you're attempting to manufacture outrage, here, but it looks faintly ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Timothy View Post
    Why the word quibble? insurrectionists are also necessarily rioters. Rioters who storm the capital building are also insurrectionists. You say tomato, I say tomato.
    There simply was no insurrection, hence, no insurrectionists.

This horse has been beaten so badly and for so long that pretty much all that remains is his shattered bones.

You can have the last word.

Leave a comment: