Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christians and Trump--two perspectives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Timothy View Post
    Oh well. If Christians support Trump's corruption, that's their own problem. I'm no longer associated with that.
    How, exactly, do I (for example) support Trump's corruption?

Leave a comment:

• Timothy
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Which increases the odds of his opponent winning.

You got stats on that?

Loony.

What, exactly, are the trumplicans?

No thanks.

Only if she garnered enough electoral college votes.

SCOTUS is not Hillary's, and religious liberties are being protected. That the Lord chose a jackass to do it is kinda icing on the cake.

I don't follow him. I voted for him, and he's in office until he either gets removed after being impeached, or until he gets voted out.

I wanted Hillary NOT to be POTUS -- I voted for Trump as a protest vote, never really believing Trump had a chance.

Perhaps you should be addressing this little lecture to them.

Who's saying that?

It might if you actually had a point, but all I see is a bunch of conclusion jumping and judgmental lecturing.
    Oh well. If Christians support Trump's corruption, that's their own problem. I'm no longer associated with that.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Yes, it's AN alternative.

And the opposite of voting for Trump IS not voting for Trump.
    Which increases the odds of his opponent winning.

One that too few had considered.
    You got stats on that?

Loony?
    Loony.

Have you noticed how cruel the trumplicans have become?
    What, exactly, are the trumplicans?

I'm or asking you to vote for Democrats. If neither side is decent in your opinion, leave the ballot blank.
    No thanks.

So Hillary would be president?
    Only if she garnered enough electoral college votes.

Would that be YOUR fault? No. But if you put Trump in office, it IS your fault.
    SCOTUS is not Hillary's, and religious liberties are being protected. That the Lord chose a jackass to do it is kinda icing on the cake.

If his behavior represents you, then you are correct to follow him.
    I don't follow him. I voted for him, and he's in office until he either gets removed after being impeached, or until he gets voted out.

Own it, don't make transparent excuses. Hillary is an excuse.
    I wanted Hillary NOT to be POTUS -- I voted for Trump as a protest vote, never really believing Trump had a chance.

There are still Trump followers even though Hillary is not running in 2020.
    Perhaps you should be addressing this little lecture to them.

Saying "what about Hillary" is an exercise in self deception.
    Who's saying that?

Sorry if this truth hurts.
    It might if you actually had a point, but all I see is a bunch of conclusion jumping and judgmental lecturing.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    No, that's AN alternative.

If enough of us who were disgusted with Hillary (but not thrilled about Trump) simply didn't vote, Hillary would be POTUS and SCOTUS would be Hillary's. Have you seen how crazy far loony the left has become?
    Yes, it's AN alternative. And the opposite of voting for Trump IS not voting for Trump. One that too few had considered. Loony? Have you noticed how cruel the trumplicans have become? I'm or asking you to vote for Democrats. If neither side is decent in your opinion, leave the ballot blank.

So Hillary would be president? Would that be YOUR fault? No. But if you put Trump in office, it IS your fault. If his behavior represents you, then you are correct to follow him. Own it, don't make transparent excuses. Hillary is an excuse. There are still Trump followers even though Hillary is not running in 2020. Saying "what about Hillary" is an exercise in self deception. Sorry if this truth hurts.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    The alternative to voting for Trump is not voting for Trump.
    No, that's AN alternative.

You didn't need to vote for anyone else if you didn't want to.
    If enough of us who were disgusted with Hillary (but not thrilled about Trump) simply didn't vote, Hillary would be POTUS and SCOTUS would be Hillary's. Have you seen how crazy far loony the left has become?

Leave a comment:

• Timothy
    replied
    Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
    The first source failed to give an alternative to voting for Trump. The other option was not to vote until an ideal Christian becomes a candidate -- or a viable candidate
    The alternative to voting for Trump is not voting for Trump. You didn't need to vote for anyone else if you didn't want to.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    It matters to me - if he were loudly proclaiming his faith and still acting the jerk, it would bother me.
    Yeah

It matters to me for the same reason it matters to me with everyone I know - I wanna see EVERYBODY in Heaven. No, I'm not a universalist - just really, really hopeful.
    Because God is not willing that any perish....

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    I'm honestly not all that interested. At most reports from certain Christian leaders about Trump's piety are either correct, or its possible that they're just seeing what they want to see. At the end of the day it just doesn't matter to the voter whether Trump is genuinely a Christian, or whether he politically caters to the Christians.
    It doesn't matter to me from the perspective that he never ran on a "I'm a religious guy" platform, and the only reason it matters to the liberals is because they tout Buttigieg as a REAL Christian. Buttigieg has, of course, attacked the faith of both Trump and Pence, while claiming he doesn't do that.

The Democrats are trying to solve their God problem by touting pro-abortion pro-homosexual candidates as the "right kind" of Christians.

Leave a comment:

• Leonhard
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    You don't need to be afraid anybody thinks you sound like a universalist there. What you said is pretty much 2 Peter 3:9.
    Any Christian should wish for all other people to be saved, no matter how greater a sinner, even themselves.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    I accidentally stumbled across this page where Robert Gagnon pushes back forcefully against Never-Trumper David French's attack on Franklin Graham (and accordingly, on other evangelicals who support Trump). Pretty thorough.
    MORE stuff to read...

Leave a comment:

• NorrinRadd
    replied
    I accidentally stumbled across this page where Robert Gagnon pushes back forcefully against Never-Trumper David French's attack on Franklin Graham (and accordingly, on other evangelicals who support Trump). Pretty thorough.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    It matters to me - if he were loudly proclaiming his faith and still acting the jerk, it would bother me. It matters to me for the same reason it matters to me with everyone I know - I wanna see EVERYBODY in Heaven. No, I'm not a universalist - just really, really hopeful.
    You don't need to be afraid anybody thinks you sound like a universalist there. What you said is pretty much 2 Peter 3:9.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    I'm honestly not all that interested. At most reports from certain Christian leaders about Trump's piety are either correct, or its possible that they're just seeing what they want to see. At the end of the day it just doesn't matter to the voter whether Trump is genuinely a Christian, or whether he politically caters to the Christians.
    It matters to me - if he were loudly proclaiming his faith and still acting the jerk, it would bother me. It matters to me for the same reason it matters to me with everyone I know - I wanna see EVERYBODY in Heaven. No, I'm not a universalist - just really, really hopeful.

Leave a comment:

• Leonhard
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    All things being equal, I'd prefer someone who was upfront about not being religious than somebody who put on a front about being a Christian.
    I'd rather have a satanist who pretended to be a Christian, and worked to implement Christian principles, than someone calling themselves a Christian, while working in the exact opposite direction.

I'm honestly glad I live in Denmark, no party here is trying to stop abortion, so I don't have to hold my nose and sacrifice all of my political principles.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    All things being equal, I'd prefer someone who was upfront about not being religious than somebody who put on a front about being a Christian.

Leave a comment: