Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why crucified?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why crucified?

Why did Jesus have to be crucified for our salvation? Can this be put simply, as if explaining to a child who equates God with love. Thank you.

Originally posted by princesa View Post
    Why did Jesus have to be crucified for our salvation? Can this be put simply, as if explaining to a child who equates God with love. Thank you.
    Several reasons:

1) God is not only love. God is also holy and demands perfection. Man is incapable of perfection and deserves punishment with death. Because of his love, God took that punishment upon himself by dying on the cross.

2) God wants us to sacrifice everything out of love, and so he gave us an example of ultimate love by suffering and dying to save us. This should make us want to love and sacrifice for other people.

3) By rising from the dead as he predicted, Jesus showed himself to be who he said he was: The Son of God, one with God. We can know that Jesus is trustworthy when he tells us that he is the only way to God, and the way to have eternal life.

Comment

Why would God demand a perfection He did not create in us and instead make us incapable of it to the degree we aren't worthy enough to even live? Thank you.

Comment

Why would God demand a perfection He did not create in us and instead make us incapable of it to the degree we aren't worthy enough to even live? Thank you.
        He provides for us a means to perfection, by accepting the perfect sacrifice of His only Son. God is also patient with us as we seek to be more perfect (complete, mature, "finished") by becoming more and more like His Son.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I didn't realize you wanted to debate.

God created Adam perfect. When Adam's sin made him and his progeny ineligible for a fellowship with God based on their own moral perfection, God in his love provided himself as a substitute so that man could be seen as perfect, and his sins covered.

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
            I didn't realize you wanted to debate.

God created Adam perfect. When Adam's sin made him and his progeny ineligible for a fellowship with God based on their own moral perfection, God in his love provided himself as a substitute so that man could be seen as perfect, and his sins covered.
            I certainly don't want to debate with someone that knows far more than me and that I admire. Text sometimes creates tones not intended. The question just popped in my head based on number one and I was interested in understanding better. Thanks for answering.

Comment

I certainly don't want to debate with someone that knows far more than me and that I admire. Text sometimes creates tones not intended. The question just popped in my head based on number one and I was interested in understanding better. Thanks for answering.
              You are welcome. Sorry for mistaking your tone.

Comment

Why did Jesus have to be crucified for our salvation?
                Stoning would result in broken bones.

Comment

The requirement is specific:

Galatians 3:13Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us-- for it is written, "CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO HANGS ON A TREE "--

He took away the curse that faced mankind.
                  Last edited by footwasher; 04-29-2014, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
                    You are welcome. Sorry for mistaking your tone.
                    Always perceive hatred between the spaces of the words I type.
                    For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

My "theory" is that in order for us to have free will and NOT sin after the judgment, we have to have a personal knowledge and experience of how bad sin really is. Adam didn't have that knowledge and he sinned. But seeing what sin does in our own lives, to those we love, and the sacrifice Jesus made for our sins, will make it possible for us to not sin in the next life and yet retain free will.

Comment

Jesus died to ransom us from the power of the grave (Hos. 13:14), to which Adam had enslaved us (1 Cor. 15:22). Crucifixion is how the Adversary chose to exact payment.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Jesus died to ransom us from the power of the grave (Hos. 13:14)
                          This means He died to save us from earthly death and eternal salvation, yes?

to which Adam had enslaved us (1 Cor. 15:22)
                          I wondered if another option other than crucifixion would have set us free...like 'make us perfect with free will' or something else that would show love for us in a less tortuous manner.

Crucifixion is how the Adversary chose to exact payment.
                          What do you mean? It was God who chose to crucify Jesus/Himself, was it not? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
                            Always perceive hatred between the spaces of the words I type.
                            surely you could have thought of a footnote to add here. you always use footnotes

(you are slacking on comma usage as well)

Comment

Originally posted by footwasher View Post
                              The requirement is specific:

Galatians 3:13Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us-- for it is written, "CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO HANGS ON A TREE "--

He took away the curse that faced mankind.
                              thank you for providing this passage. it is pretty heady though, to think of Christ as a curse.

I'm just at a point where I wanted to start over and try to understand the basics.

Comment