Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

"Coincidences"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Coincidences"

Anyone want to tell of a time that something happened where you are pretty sure that God had something to do with it beyond providential sustenance of the universe? Like how the book of Esther doesn't explicitly mention God, but He is clearly at work in the coincidences.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

At a time I needed money badly, I got an envelope from a lady I didnt know with a $20 bill and a note that said God told her to do it.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

My cupboards were empty once, and a lady asked me out of the blue if I had any groceries. And I found the next day a stash of groceries on my front doorstep!

Blessings,
      Lee
      "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

A man was visiting our Church one Sunday morning, when I was explaining to the Church that another man we had been ministering to would die within 2-4 days without a liver transplant. I explained that his wife could not get him into the hospital without a $9,850 up front payment.

After Church, this man came up to me and said, "tell that lady to get her husband in the hospital, I'll come buy tomorrow and give you a check".

He showed up first thing Monday morning with a check for $10,000.

The man who donated the money has since moved on, the man whose life was saved is a very active and vibrant member of our Church, having received his liver transplant within 2 days - another incredible 'coincidence' of somebody being a proper match meeting his end.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This following happened a long time ago. I still have a lot of issues with chronic pain, but I'm no longer stuck in a wheelchair.

I was apparently pretty close to losing my legs due to the bones "washing out". The "don't use it, you lose it" can be quite literal.

My mom had us parked right in front of the hospital, and was trying to get me from the rental van into my wheelchair, which at the time I was heavily medicated. I was unable to properly move, and my mom didn't have the strength necessary to pick me up. My mom tried asking the hospital to come and help get me into the wheelchair so I could get the x-rays I needed, but they wouldn't do it. Apparently insurance reasons were preventing them from helping a patient actually get proper care.

So my mom is frantically trying to find someone, anyone who can help. Out of nowhere a rather large man came up, handed some flowers(presumably for someone he was there to visit) to my mom, and he picked me up out of the van, and put me in the wheelchair. All without hurting me. I was heavily medicated, but none of it had been helping the pain*. I didn't see his face, and I'm pretty sure my mom doesn't remember seeing it either. Most of the time a simple touch can cause pain if I don't know about it, but this man did more than that, and without making me worse in any way at all. No one else has been able to do anything like that during the entire duration I've had RSD/CRPS. It was a miracle he didn't hurt me, and helped me at a time when I and my mother needed it most.

At this point I think it's very possible that he was an angel.

*Later on I was able to get some medicine that did help, and tremendously. I was able to walk for the first time in a long while due to the treatment I got. The time leading up to that was a nightmare though.

Comment

My son and his friends call them "Godidences." I have too many to relate, mostly in my early Christian years. It seemed that every time I had a question someone would show up with an answer out of the blue, it was almost scary. I was a single parent back then and struggling to pay my electric bill. I didn't tell anyone but when I showed up to try and set a payment schedule they told me it was paid. I have no idea to this day who paid it...
            Last edited by seer; 06-01-2018, 11:11 AM.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I do not believe in coincidence. But I do believe that "providential sustenance of the universe" can include miracles provided from before the foundation of the world.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                I do not believe in coincidence. But I do believe that "providential sustenance of the universe" can include miracles provided from before the foundation of the world.
                Yeah, we refer to them as divine appointments, or such.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Yeah, we refer to them as divine appointments, or such.
                  Is that like appointments with my doctor?
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    Is that like appointments with my doctor?
                    A) THIS Doctor Divine?
                    2) Why are you going to a gynecologist?

divine.jpg

Comment

Hadn't thought about this in ages....

I was in the basement of the police department assembling a new computer system we had received. I hadn't been to my locker, I was in uniform, but hadn't gotten my gun belt.

A call came in that there was a riot at a local bar - the Tooth and Nail - and an officer was down. I ran upstairs, got into a police car with several other officers, and we quickly arrived at the scene - people everywhere, mob scene is putting it mildly.

I looked for the OIC, and reported to him. He told me "grab the front door, don't let anybody out who's been in, and nobody in who's been out!"

I manned the doorway, standing just inside the door, my eyes getting used to the dark of the inside of the bar. Then I saw them - the Breed Motorcycle Gang. And they were getting up to leave.

I told them to remain seated, and have another drink, but they were coming toward me. One of them shook his right arm, and a chain came sliding out, and he began twirling it in a menacing manner. I reached for my trusty Ruger .357 magnum, but suddently felt quite ill, realizing it was with my gun belt back at the PD.

As they were just about 6 feet from me, somebody behind me called my name, and it sounded urgent. I looked over my shoulder and saw a shotgun flying through the air toward me, I grabbed it, turned back toward them, and racked it once to show I meant business. They stopped in their tracks, and I suggested again, "how bout sitting back down and having another drink". I guess they decided they were thirsty, and turned around.

When things finally calmed down, I tried to find out who threw me the shotgun - it came out of the car I was riding in - but nobody would fess up. To this day, it's still a mystery, but probably saved my life.

Comment

After I left the police department, I was serving at a Church as a Youth Minister - for, believe it or not, less pay than my police job. My wife had stopped working because we had a new baby, so things were really really tight financially.

Some people say "I'm broke" and they mean they can't buy a new car. When we said we were "broke", we coudln't buy a gallon of milk.

One Sunday after Church, we went to pick up our baby from the Church Nursery, and I got the baby, my wife got her diaper bag. On the way home, my wife dug into the diaper bag to find the baby's pacifier, and she pulled out a $100 bill! It most CERTAINLY wasn't in there before that, and my wife was stunned.

We thanked God, and tried to be positive, but our "hole" was much deeper than that.

When we got home, there was a police car in my driveway - not a local PD car, but one from my previous job. A friend of mine got out of the car with an envelope in his hand, and he said "I need to give you some money and get a signature".

Long story short, we had been working without a contract during my last 3 years as a cop, and they kept promising they would settle. Well, the signature was my agreement to the settlement, and the check was for over $4,000 of payment for the difference in what I was paid, and what I should have been paid under the new contract retroactive through the prior 3 years.

That brought us "out of the hole", and we never went back in.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Why are you going to a gynecologist?
                          I'm in transition you BIGOT!

Comment

When we bought a house in Eagle River, many years ago, it turned out that there was a 2nd mortgage that had slipped through the cracks. It was zero hour. Our choice was to pay the thing off or lose the house. We paid and moved into a house with almost no furniture and no money to buy. Some how, after the papers were all signed and we were committed, the holder of that mortgage paid it off. We did not have to sleep on the floor or sit on the floor after all. isn't that a coincidence.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

When we sold the house we lived in "out in the country" (before we moved to Fort Tiny - the rent house - before we built our current house) the housing market was pretty much at a standstill. We got our house ready to sell, and the Realtor was going to come to do an informal appraisal to set a selling price.

News hit that Exxon was going to build a large corporate office "just down the road", and housing in the area became scarce almost overnight. The Realtor set our selling price at about $150,000 more than I would have thought, and it sold for the asking price! (lots of nonsense with the VA as I have posted elsewhere)

AFTER we closed on the house, Exxon announced they changed their mind, were not going to build, and the housing market collapsed almost overnight.

Comment