Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

New Church Statue: "Jesus the Homeless"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
    Your last post was lacking in any point
    The point was petty derision. You criticized DDW for not caring about the details when you apparently glossed over the text itself only barely less than she did.

Even if that last post was pointless, the one before it certainly was not. Feel free to deal with that instead.
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Saying that we should love our neighbors as ourselves doesn't mean the same thing as saying that if anyone is homeless then Jesus is homeless. For one thing, not all of them should be helped. I think that the great majority of them are homeless due to their own indulgence in sin. Although it does not apply to every case, the principle that if a man will not work then he should not eat has some application.

Comment

Saying that we should love our neighbors as ourselves doesn't mean the same thing as saying that if anyone is homeless then Jesus is homeless. For one thing, not all of them should be helped. I think that the great majority of them are homeless due to their own indulgence in sin. Although it does not apply to every case, the principle that if a man will not work then he should not eat has some application.
        When's the last time you volunteered at a homeless shelter and heard their stories from their own mouths? Or looked up statistics about homelessness?

Even if it were the case that they're depraved sinners--even more than Wall Street bankers-- would you expect them to believe in the gospel of love which you endorse if the only love you're willing to show them is tough love?

Comment

Saying that we should love our neighbors as ourselves doesn't mean the same thing as saying that if anyone is homeless then Jesus is homeless.
          Not if you are going to be hopelessly pedantic. Though obviously if it turns out that one of the worthless people you help is a Christian (or will be) then it is precisely as if Jesus were homeless. Since you do not know the identity of the elect…. well.

For one thing, not all of them should be helped. I think that the great majority of them are homeless due to their own indulgence in sin.
          My oh my. The majority of us are screwed up due to our own indulgence in sin, good things God didn't require us to clean ourselves up first.

Although it does not apply to every case, the principle that if a man will not work then he should not eat has some application.
          Funny enough THAT one is speaking of believers...
          The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
            The point was petty derision. You criticized DDW for not caring about the details when you apparently glossed over the text itself only barely less than she did.

Even if that last post was pointless, the one before it certainly was not. Feel free to deal with that instead.
            Excuse me I didn't gloss over the text. I got a freakin' word wrong, scuse me. I had the principle spot on, and in getting the word wrong actually undersold my case. Some people don't have the best memories, that doesn't mean they should be accused of glossing over the text because of a very easy word confusion.
            The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren View Post
              Excuse me I didn't gloss over the text. I got a freakin' word wrong, scuse me. I had the principle spot on, and in getting the word wrong actually undersold my case. Some people don't have the best memories, that doesn't mean they should be accused of glossing over the text because of a very easy word confusion.
              He was directing that toward Obsidian, not you...

ETA: Never mind, I get it now
              Last edited by KingsGambit; 04-15-2014, 02:56 PM.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Dee Dee
                Funny enough THAT one is speaking of believers...
                Do you think we should subsidize unbelievers who won't work?

Comment

http://www.portlandrescuemission.org...-homelessness/

http://wnyhomeless.org/myths-and-facts/

Obsidian, do some research before you accuse homeless people of laziness. You are accusing them of sinfulness from the very beginning, and that sort of uncharitable attitude is hardly worthy of a Christian. Even before we look at the statistics, if we decide to make assumptions about the poor, it ought to be that they are victims of circumstance rather than vice.

Comment

Luke 9:58
                    Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Luke 9:58
                      Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”
                      Ah, yes, but you see, when the goal is to free myself from having to actually care about the poor and so not feel obliged to offer any help whatsoever, it doesn't matter what Bible verses you present, because I've already decided that they're not worthy of my help.

Comment

Do you think we should subsidize unbelievers who won't work?
                        We are supposed to help the poor. Whether this should be done in through a specific schemes by governments is separate issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                          We are supposed to help the poor. Whether this should be done in through a specific schemes by governments is separate issue.
                          That in itself is a worthy discussion to have, though probably not in this thread... and it's only fair to add that the situation is a little different in many countries today than in 1st century Palestine where there was no social safety net.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                            Ah, yes, but you see, when the goal is to free myself from having to actually care about the poor and so not feel obliged to offer any help whatsoever, it doesn't matter what Bible verses you present, because I've already decided that they're not worthy of my help.
                            There will always be scammers who pretend to be homeless to beg money they don't need. And lazy people who could work but don't, or even criminals hiding out or worse. but in general nobody wants to be homeless and live on the streets. Most homeless people are alone, afraid, and need help. They either have no prospect for a job, have a mental problem, or drug addictions they can't shake.

Comment

There was a notorious panhandler in Kansas City for years who would hang out in an affluent outdoor shopping area with a sign that said "Need a down payment for a cheeseburger". It was eventually discovered he was middle class. People like that ought to be shamed or in some cases imprisoned for fraud, but we also must keep in mind that the vast majority of panhandlers are not doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                                There was a notorious panhandler in Kansas City for years who would hang out in an affluent outdoor shopping area with a sign that said "Need a down payment for a cheeseburger". It was eventually discovered he was middle class. People like that ought to be shamed or in some cases imprisoned for fraud, but we also must keep in mind that the vast majority of panhandlers are not doing this.
                                In downtown Los Angeles, they panhandle for a hit of crack cocaine (you can actually buy small hits for like a couple of bucks). How do I know? I've lived here for about 20 years and I know all the ins and outs of LA street life. They have missions on Skid Row that feed three times a day. And I'm talking about full course meals, three times a day with each mission (about five of them concentrated in about a three block radius), not to mention the individual street churches that come down to Skid Row and serve the public meals (there are dozens of them, especially on the weekends). If timed right, a person could literally eat about five or six full course meals a day. Trust me, they aren't panhandling here because they're hungry, even though that's the line they give to get money. So if you ever visit downtown LA and get accosted by a panhandler, just know what you're doing if you give them money.
                                Last edited by seanD; 04-15-2014, 04:54 PM.

Comment