Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

New Church Statue: "Jesus the Homeless"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Church Statue: "Jesus the Homeless"

http://www.npr.org/2014/04/13/302019...ntent=04132014

A new religious statue in the town of Davidson, N.C., is unlike anything you might see in church.

The statue depicts Jesus as a vagrant sleeping on a park bench. St. Alban's Episcopal Church installed the homeless Jesus statue on its property in the middle of an upscale neighborhood filled with well-kept townhomes.

Jesus is huddled under a blanket with his face and hands obscured; only the crucifixion wounds on his uncovered feet give him away.

The bronze statue was purchased for $22,000 as a memorial for a parishioner, Kate McIntyre, who had loved public art. The rector of this liberal, inclusive church is Rev. David Buck, a 65-year-old Baptist-turned-Episcopalian who seems not at all averse to the controversy, the double-takes and the discussion the statue has provoked.

"It gives authenticity to our church," he says. "This is a relatively affluent church, to be honest, and we need to be reminded ourselves that our faith expresses itself in active concern for the marginalized of society."

The sculpture is intended as a visual translation of the passage in the Book of Matthew, in which Jesus tells his disciples, "as you did it to one of the least of my brothers, you did it to me." Moreover, Buck says, it's a good Bible lesson for those used to seeing Jesus depicted in traditional religious art as the Christ of glory, enthroned in finery.

"We believe that that's the kind of life Jesus had," Buck says. "He was, in essence, a homeless person."
    I like this move. When society discusses religion, we're inundated with sermons and devotionals about Jesus' words on love and compassion and justice, but I've often felt that those sermons are too abstract in explaining exactly what those qualities entail. This statue, on the other hand, helps illuminate those teachings by hinting at their depth and scope. It calls to attention the humanness of Jesus, and makes him and his words seem more tangible and real. He isn't presented exclusively as an all-powerful deity and king, nor as a broken, beaten figure to be appropriated on crucifix necklaces and violent Mel Gibson movies, but rather as a genuine person who truly suffered and sympathized with humanity.

Thoughts, comments?
    Last edited by fm93; 04-13-2014, 12:59 PM.
    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Good art.

Comment

There is a very direct connection to Matthew 25 that should be pondered by those whose immediate reaction is one of a defensive negativity. If the statue at least gets some to ponder that, it will have done its job.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

*smack forehead*

No, the deep seated sense of hospitality among his countrymen (especially his disciples, and wealthy patrons like Joanna - not to mention Jesus' skill as a tekton) would ensure that Jesus' wasn't living as a vagabond. It's a good thing that you want to take care of the poor, but Jesus Himself wasn't "essentially homeless".

Comment

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
          *smack forehead*

No, the deep seated sense of hospitality among his countrymen (especially his disciples, and wealthy patrons like Joanna - not to mention Jesus' skill as a tekton) would ensure that Jesus' wasn't living as a vagabond. It's a good thing that you want to take care of the poor, but Jesus Himself wasn't "essentially homeless".
          The quotation itself is inaccurate, but Jesus makes such a strong identification between service for poor disciples and service to himself that I would maintain the basic point behind the status is sound.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

But not to this sentiment, which I was addressing:

"We believe that that's the kind of life Jesus had," Buck says. "He was, in essence, a homeless person."

Comment

Most homeless people in this country are not in that position because of their great love for God.

Comment

Nor for their hatred of God. I like the statue.
                The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

But not to this sentiment, which I was addressing:
                  Right, I acknowledged that the quotation was inaccurate but that the statue itself can still portray spiritual truth despite it not being quite what was intended.

Comment

Why would he need a blanket if he has Crucifixion wounds? Wouldn't the scars imply a post resurrection body? Meaning He wouldn't need a home...
                    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                      Why would he need a blanket if he has Crucifixion wounds? Wouldn't the scars imply a post resurrection body? Meaning He wouldn't need a home...
                      With art, very often, if you press the details too literally, you're missing the point.

Comment

It still don't make much sense!
                        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

*smack forehead*

Well, what's the essence of being homeless? Doesn't it involve abandonment and rejection? I'd say Jesus' life and mission, according to the gospels, certainly encapsulated those states. It may not be what Rev. Buck had in mind, but in a way he's correct.
                          Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                            It still don't make much sense!

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                              Well, what's the essence of being homeless? Doesn't it involve abandonment and rejection? I'd say Jesus' life and mission, according to the gospels, certainly encapsulated those states.
                              Not really, not until Calvary. He made enemies but had many friends as well, as I've said. I don't have a problem with serving the homeless in the name of Christ (it's our command to do so), but trying to cast the earthly Jesus as "one of them" in the literal sense simply isn't historically accurate.

Comment