Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Norman Geisler's new target - Craig Blomberg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norman Geisler's new target - Craig Blomberg

http://normangeisler.net/articles/Bi...InTheBible.htm

I suppose this is relatively mild coming from him, but who knows what will be next? I can attest that Blomberg is one of those scholars who genuinely lives the Christian walk he proclaims in writing.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

That man needs a hobby.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      http://normangeisler.net/articles/Bi...InTheBible.htm

I suppose this is relatively mild coming from him, but who knows what will be next? I can attest that Blomberg is one of those scholars who genuinely lives the Christian walk he proclaims in writing.
      Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      That man needs a hobby.
      Are you guys for real? Geisler addresses a serious problem.

Now if you guys think Geisler misrepresents Blomberg I think that needs to be discussed. Or some particular point where you think Geisler is purely off base. B. B. Warfield, for example, has been described as a theistic evolutionist. Yet, it is understood that Warfield would oppose any view which limited how God can work in the world. see http://www.americanpresbyterianchurch.org/?page_id=2080

Inerrancy has to do with God being inerrant.
      And that the Bible as originally given to human authors by God.
      What is not inerrant is our ability to read and understand God's word.
      That none of the copies are inerrant copies, even though God preserves the very spelling and parts of letters which make up His word.
      That there are no inerrant translations.
      Now God and His word which is inerrant, remains so. That we know those three things which are not inerrant, is part of that. (Proverbs 30:5, 6).
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Blomberg's book, which came out last week, well documents the damage that Geisler has done in the last 2-3 decades by going after other Christians, ostensibly over a definition of inerrancy, to the point where it seems as if he simply operates out of a desire for power or personal vendettas without regard to the broader needs of the church. I know of one apologist who was reasoning with a Muslim the other day using Mike Licona's arguments for the resurrection, only to see the Muslim argue that Geisler had refuted the Christian's arguments!
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Geisler is a liar and enabler of liars. Zero respect.
          The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

I think it's clear that Geisler effectively views that the ICBI Statements on inerrancy (or his understanding of them) as at least equivalent to Scripture in authority.

Protestants and their Tradition
            Last edited by Paprika; 04-11-2014, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
              I think it's clear that Geisler effectively views that the ICBI Statements on inerrancy (or his understanding of them) as at least equivalent to Scripture in authority.

Aren't you Protestant?
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Aren't you Protestant?

Comment

A footnote in Blomberg's book (that is too long for me to copy here) demonstrates a number of outright falsehoods in one particular written attack from Geisler (without even opening the Ergun Caner can of worms). This is clearly not sound Christian behavior.

Comment

Oh please let's open the Caner can.... Geisler's self-inflicted mortal blow

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren View Post
                      Oh please let's open the Caner can.... Geisler's self-inflicted mortal blow
                      I agree

if I I understand it Giesler is supporting a proven liar(Caner). but attacking people who he disagrees with on a non essentials. He is not showing the Love of Christ that he should.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post

Bingo you got it Paprika and isn't is interesting that Gielser is one of hte authors of teh ICBI Statements.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                          I agree

if I I understand it Giesler is supporting a proven liar(Caner). but attacking people who he disagrees with on a non essentials. He is not showing the Love of Christ that he should.
                          Pretty much. He has zero standing to criticize anyone else at this point until he mans about his role in the Caner scandal.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren View Post
                            Geisler is a liar and enabler of liars. Zero respect.
                            Do you still agree with Geisler re his crusade against Murray J. Harris?

Review at Amazon.com of The Battle for the Resurrection Paperback
                            by Norman L. Geisler:
                            21 people found the following review helpful

Bad Book, Worse Author

By E. Martin on February 11, 2001

If you ever need a case of mean-spirited, ignorant, inquisitorial mentality of some Evangelical pseudo-intellectuals just take a gander at this screed.

New Testament scholar Murray J. Harris wrote a stirring defense of the historicity of the bodily resurrection of Jesus in his book EASTER IN DURHAM.

For his trouble he was savaged by this know-nothing in this book for not teaching a *physical* resurrection.

Harris replied with FROM GRAVE TO GLORY, an exhaustive study of the doctrine of the resurrection which remains a standard of evangelical scholarship. Along the way he answered Geisler's repeated misrepresentations and falsehoods and showed his laughable ignorance of Greek.

Not to be detered, Geisler mobilized his fellow Torquemadas (self-appointed "cult watchers") to secure a statement of condemnation from the Evangelical Free Church and badgered Harris into retirement.

Nice Work guys!

Geisler is the worst representative of a resurgent Protestant scholasticism, he pretends to be a apologist (a "defender") but he's really a polemicist (a "war-monger") and a publicity hungry little parasite, seeking to build up his notoriety on the careers and reputations he attacks. Reading makes me *thankful* for the Enlightenment. With regard to this and the rest of his published corpus, I say with David Hume "commend them all to the flames."
                            Last edited by John Reece; 04-12-2014, 02:01 PM.

Comment

It has been a long time since i read the stuff on it. At the time I did, but I would read it with some more skepticism this time for more personal motives. His theological points for the resurrection were very good.

He probably has very good points in these recent scuffles -- he just doesn't have the standing to bring them, his own house is very dirty.

sigpic

Comment